small chain saw

I carry a bow saw currently and it works but its slow. I want small chainsaw.
whats a good size and a good reliable model at a reasonable price. mostly for cutting up firewood out camping. want it to be small so i can fit in my 2 door jeep and the grand cherokee

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
do your self a favor buy a stihl and dont look back.
sure the sticker shock can be bit high but you will more then save that money over the problem free years of use.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I preference the Husquvarma over the Shile. It's a Ford vs chevy thing because they are both good but Husky builds a saw with 100 less parts involved. The pro versions of either will be a lifetime purchase.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
You can usually pick up a Poulin Pro with a case and extra chain, etc. for around $200, if you're on a budget. They're made by Husquy so the motor is solid. The "Pro" has anti-vibrate, which the normal model doesn't. The bummer about these are it's hard to find parts when things break, so if your pull-cord rewind breaks (for example) you might not be able to replace it. What causes your pull cord to break, is that the tuning pegs don't have standard screw heads, so basically you can't tune it. So after a year or so it gets harder and harder to start, since you can't make a simple adjustment, you just have to pull that cord 20 $*#@ing times to get it going, which wears out the rewind and eventually breaks, and you can't find a new one because the replacement part that is supposed to fit these things doesn't, so basically you have a saw that doesn't work, even though it's a Husquy motor and you just bought a brand new bar and chain (*deep breathes, deep breathes*).

A way to overcome that tuning obstacle is take off the carburetor, put the saw in a vice and take a hacksaw to the tuning pegs so you can adjust them with a screwdriver. I've done it because I couldn't afford a Stihl and it's worked for me so far. But Stihl and Husquies are worth every penny if you can swing it.

quickfarms

Adventurer
My craftsman is made by poulon. It is 18 years old and still going strong. I have probably spent the purchase price on parts. The plastic side covers crack, I have been through several. The fuel and oil fill caps get worn and leak so they were replaced. Replaced the clutch, air filter and spark plug.

It is still going strong.

The downside of this sae is it does not have the vibration isolation.

I want a good reason to buy a stihl

This does not include several bars and many many chains.

Always carry the sharpening file with you and sharpen the chain as soon as you have to apply any pressure to cut.

Also keep the chain adjusted.

Also Cary a spare file, chain and the adjusting wrench.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
More than $200, but I'd opt for an older 036 Stihl. Super, professional-grade chainsaw that will last years of heavy use and require minimal maintenance. We carried both an 036 and 046 on our USFS Wildland Fire rig. The 036 was fitted with a 25" bar, large dogs, and fullwrap handlebar. For most non-professional applications, the same saw with a 20" bar works like a champ.
Another option would be the current equivalent offering from Stihl-the MS 362: http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362cm/
I'd pass on anything with a battery. You're better off with the bow saw. This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. A chainsaw is a serious tool meant for serious work. They can obviously be used to cut a little firewood and trim the odd tree around the home, but they are worth their weight in gold when the road is blocked, you need heat, or storm damage has claimed your home. I have thousands of hours racked up with a saw in my hand; both professionally and personally. Cut miles of fireline, bucked hundreds of cords of wood to heat the home, cleared acres of land, felled more trees than I can remember, and cleared many a road/driveway after a storm. Don't skimp on such an important tool with so much potential; you'll be disappointed in the long run. Always seek professional training on how to maintain, service, and safely use the saw. I've seen some wicked wounds caused by improper use and complacency over the years. Chainsaws are not very forgiving when they bite you...

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With a 200 budget I'd be surfing Craigslist for anything Stihl or Husqvarna. You should be able to land a great deal.

I have a Husqy 350, 18" bar, and it has never let me down. I sharpen the chain myself and tune it about once a year. Have had it for probably 10 years now and have not had to replace any parts.

brushogger

Explorer
Go with a Stihl or Husky. I had a craftsman ( low end ) that probably only ran for 12 hours and I spent at least 3 times that many hours jacking with it. My Stihl can sit 6 months and fire right up. Don't scrimp on the saw. You will pay the stupid tax like I did. Ps. Always use premium no ethanol fuel in it. I learned that lesson with a 2 stroke leaf blower.

vati kaki

Observer
At northern tool.Husq 435 16" ,factory recondision $199 http:
tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/01/8e18fb8e45f4708e8a023c1e1c6ddbb0.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just spent a few hours with the neighbors new craftsman 16in. 85 foot cedar came down on my deck. Made quick work of the cedar. Nice machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier