Small benefit raffle for recently disabled explorer - Native American Art prizes

shovelbum

Observer
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate sub-forum, but I'm trying to get the word out about my fiancee's cousin and a benefit raffle that her family is organizing. Until recently, her cousin was an avid back-country explorer and overlander. Sadly, those days are gone as he is now reliant on an electric wheelchair and has increasingly limited use of his limbs. He is hoping to make one last trip; the trip home to die with his family. If you'd like to help, please contact me directly by email (theracetrackproject@asu.edu). We'll arrange for the delivery of tickets and contributions. Thank you all. Will

BENEFIT RAFFLE!

Until stricken by ALS (“Lou Gehrig’s Disease”), Homer George was a graduate student at the University of Oklahoma, studying contemporary American Indian issues. In what little spare time he had, Homer loved to be in the outdoors and regularly explored the remote areas of the American West on foot and by overland vehicle. This fast-acting disease, however, has ended any such activity. ALS is a degenerative disorder that attacks the nervous system, leading to debilitation, atrophy, and death. There is no cure and little time. Because of his condition, Homer cannot finish his graduate degree or live unassisted and is moving back home to Arizona. Friends and family are donating their time to make the George home accessible to Homer’s wheelchair. Efforts to raise money for building materials are underway. This includes a raffle for several fantastic prizes and we hope you will consider purchasing a ticket.

The raffle will be held in St. Michaels, AZ on December 23, 2011. Ticket-holders need not be present to win. Tickets are $5.00 each. There are many wonderful prizes that have been donated and the list is growing every day! So far, prizes include:

1. Original Native American painting titled “The Gathering”, by William George, Sr.
2. Traditional handmade Navajo Heishe bead necklace (double-strand; turquoise, shell, and coral)
3. Handmade, Navajo Squash Blossom necklace (turquoise and silver)
4. A men’s Pendleton blanket
5. An authentic, hand-woven Navajo rug
6. $100.00 gift card from The Home Depot
7. Handmade, Navajo Squash Blossom necklace (turquoise, silver, and coral)
8. Traditional handmade Navajo Heishe bead necklace (triple-strand; turquoise, shell, jet, and coral)
9. Set of four Navajo blanket-design coasters
10. $50.00 gift card from Wal-Mart
11. Set of handmade, knitted baskets and placemats
12. $50.00 in cash

See pictures of some prizes at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=273760072658650

For tickets contact Will Russell, (theracetrackproject@asu.edu). Tickets and proceeds can then be exchanged by one of several means. Thank you so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94