Slumberjack roadhouse tarp / any other users?

Wifey got me the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp. I set it up last weekend to see how it looked and ease of setup, and I have to say I really like it. I was looking at awnings, but for my needs constantly hanging out in the back of the truck for fishing and camping, this was the way to go. The area it covers is massive in both depth and width. Fairly easy to set up as well with neumerous options for tie outs and poles. This this is definitely a game changer for me and my camping needs!

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 199

tatanka48

HISTORY repeats itself...

cowboys followed the chuck wagon from south Texas all the way up to the Montana Territory

it was the center of the cowboy's life for months on end...

Ft Stockton.jpg

and as the railroad came on the scene the big ranches maintained the chuck wagon concept

though it was no longer pulled by a team of horses

Alpine.jpg

and now i'm seeing the same use of the fly behind/over a more modern conveyances

394759-7e10a05efca544b6ec56b34237dcd4d8.jpg

yes Jr. there is a reason to study HISTORY

there's nothin much better than having a fly to cook/congregate under

whether it is protecting you from the sun or the rain

Quick Cal

Thank you for posting this. I've wanting to make something like this. Now here it it for a great price. I was thinking of the ARB awning and add on room. But that's too price for a newbie like me.

!. Do you think it's TOO big. I thought I really wanted big. But man....

2. Is it hard to set up with one person. I seen a video where there were 2 guys with the wind blowing. Did not look fun.

3. If you had it attached to the truck and decided you needed to go somewhere, would it be easy enough to undo the one end and either move a pole, or add a third pole. Or would you just be better off redoing it all.

4. I was also wanting to make a slide out kitchen like that. How do you attach the support leg to the back.

5. I have Yakama round bars. Do you think I can just attach the 3 top middle straps to that. I'll attach a pic.

Great set up.

20190130_115731 - Copy.jpg20190130_115718.jpg20190125_153445_1__c14128c0fa8dafe31bf89ccbc8819ce87f228587.jpg20190130_115731 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

zoom17

Zoom
Just used mine this past weekend. It is easily set up by one person. There is a slight technique but easily mastered. It was cold where I was camped and the tarp truly helps keeps the heat in. I like the fact that I can keep my tailgate up and when closed the tarp will still stay up.5D099111-932B-46D5-B6AF-0B89D83C0002.jpeg177E1800-53CE-49D8-BD2D-137805AE73C8.jpeg17A0F49C-707D-4FF4-9571-CFF4114C543E.jpeg

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a tarp I got from Kelty years ago that seems to work well for me as I have moved past the 'blue tarp' camping. Much noise in the wind from a blue tarp.

Markwell

Glad to see this thread. I ordered one this past Monday for use with our Casita trailer. From the looks of things here I didn't go wrong. Should work out just fine.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Just ordered one also. It seems like it will be more versatile than a regular awning and with the 4Runner having a rear hatch, I feel it was a better fit also since all the food, cooking, etc will be based out of the back of it. I'm sure it will be a small adventure setting it up by myself the first time or so but looking forward to using it this summer.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I bought one recently just before heading off on a little adventure up in western Canada. Never even took it out of its bag to read the instructions - just put it in the trailer for "just-in-case".

Well "just-in-case" came a couple days later. I was heading towards Ft Nelson, and a rear U-Joint started to go bad (still kicking myself for not carrying a spare). Got into town, and the local NAPA had closed about 30 minutes prior to my arrival. On a Saturday night. And they didn't open till Monday morning. Oh - rain and snow was predicted (this is the middle of August!). The temp was dropping outside. So I quickly went to a close-by campground ( http://www.tripleghideaway.com/ - they're awesome) to "camp-out" till Monday morning when I could get a U-Joint for the Jeep to keep going.

First picture is my usual set-up with the RTT (which is really a double-sized Tent-Cot from Cabela's) opened up. I climb on top of the cooler to get into the tent. Notice there is no cover/protection connecting the back of the Jeep to the tent.

The second and third picture show the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp connecting the Jeep to the tent. It was a lifesaver (ok; that's an exaggeration - it just made life a whole lot nicer the next few days). I was able to cook on the tailgate (doesn't everyone's Jeep tailgate drop down flat?), and work on the driveshaft on the tailgate without being exposed to the rain and snow. And I could go back-and-forth between the tent and Jeep without getting rained on, get stuff out from the back of the Jeep and stay dry, etc..

I quickly set up camp at the Triple G (got the tent opened up and what I needed out of the trailer), and then literally pulled the Roadhouse Tarp out of the bag for the first time that evening and got it set-up. It was pretty straight forward, and the stakes were quite beefy and the provided rope was plenty sturdy. Not bad for my first attempt - I was trying to beat the rain & snow - I wasn't trying to be pretty. I was quite pleased with how it turned-out.

It has plenty of options for setting up. I made it work for my situation. It didn't take long to set-up (especially for my first time figuring out how to attach the straps and buckles to the back of the Jeep), and literally once I got the final stake in the ground, it started raining (and snowing later that night). I was/am extremely pleased with it. It will always have a place in my lil' adventure trailer. I strongly recommend getting one if you think you'd ever need such a thing.

The only issue I have with the tarp (if I had to name one) is that it is not exactly a perfect rectangle (that's part of what makes it so cool). And I don't want it to be a perfect rectangle. It just makes it a little difficult to fold-up and roll back-up into the provided sack. I got it done, and got everything back into the provided storage sack with no real issues (other than it was still wet). Fortunately the storage sack is a little loose (a good thing) so it doesn't have to be perfect. When I got home I pulled it out, let it dry, and then repacked it.

It is also a little bit of a heavy package. The metal poles (it comes with two - I just used one on this occasion) are very strong and study, but they're not light. Weight isn't really an issue for me, but just so you know.
Arctic trip.2.jpgArctic trip.4.jpgArctic Trip.5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles