Sluggy the First Gen Montero

ChrisCosta416

Everyone meet Sluggy, my new to me Gen1 Montero! Picked it up just $800 on Saturday.

It is a 87 SWB with a 2.6 Carb and auto trans! Can't wait to get started and will probably be asking a lot of questions as this if my first leaf sprung, torsion bar, AND carbureted I own.

I plan to tear into this week. Body is straight but will need a lot of love inside and I look forward to everyone's advice.

After taking care of the mechanical issues my plans are

- Looking into Gen2 parts that can be swapped over
- Polytuff bushings all around
- Old Man Emu rear leaf pack
- Sway-a-way torsion bars
- MAYBE Foxes, but I will probably do Bilstein or OME shocks.

174279177_10226661346345714_5272087387493213795_n.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Congratulations! This looks like a fun project.
Does it run? Compression? Original carb.?
Older carb. engines are great to tinker with...love my 22R!

Cheers

irish44j

Nice find! The yellow is unusual - original color?

In case you want to do some reading, I have a pretty extensive rebuild threat for my Gen1 SWB - it's a V6 with rear coils, but most of the other stuff should be the same and you might get some ideas (especially interior, as I've done a good amount of (what I consider interesting, at least) stuff: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/pitchblack-rally-recce-raider-build.210863/

ChrisCosta416

Thanks guys! As for the color, digging into it - it does look like yellow was the original color, I have yet to check the color code.

Today I dug into the truck a bit more, removed all the aftermarket alarm stuff, aftermarket hood lock. It was a wiring nightmare. Since car didnt start and while we were waiting for parts I decided to change the oil and low and behold (When I looked over the truck before buying, I should of been suspicious of the clear coolant and clean oil in it)

Blown head-gasket! And from the looks of it, it appears it has been sitting in coolant for a LONG time. After conversing with almost every Gen1 Guru from here to Florida, I think I have an idea of what next steps are. Thankfully it did not take me long to take it all off.

IMG_8563.JPG
IMG_8563.JPGIMG_8565.JPGIMG_8574.JPGIMG_8572.JPGIMG_8571.JPGIMG_8569.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8568.JPG
    IMG_8568.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

irish44j

If it makes you feel better, my engine had a blown HG as well and looked a lot like that. After rebuild and hone and cleanup, runs perfectly now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles