Slow build of the 4runner

digitalferg

Adventurer
I went with the SS clearanced arms on my old 4runner. Basically just chopped off about an inch of the outer portion. I wish i woulda took a pic of mine to show you. Grinding would work if you just want to take off a minimal amount around the rubbing area but I'd hate to be grinding off as much as was removed by SS--they were definitely cut off, not ground down. I think SS has it pretty dialed in on the max amount you could take off. (I paid $500 with $250 refundable for sending them my stock un-modded arms down to them). And I'm sure you /could/ cut/grind it with them on the truck still, just will be 100 times more fun than doing it with them off. :p

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
If I had Steve clearance the uca I'd have to find another set to send him, since I only have one vehicle. Good suggestion though.

To those whom have had the lower ball fail has your 4runner or tacoma felt the same afterwards?

Every so often it feels like the whole front end gets a little sloppy/loose while cornering or chaning lanes.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Did you ever replace the steering rack bushings with new ones?
A lot of the slop I had in the steering came from that and the a-arm bushings. 1 good half day of work and you can change all of them. Just make sure you have a giant vice or a press. The giant vice worked for me.

If I had Steve clearance the uca I'd have to find another set to send him, since I only have one vehicle. Good suggestion though.

To those whom have had the lower ball fail has your 4runner or tacoma felt the same afterwards?

Every so often it feels like the whole front end gets a little sloppy/loose while cornering or chaning lanes.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Did you ever replace the steering rack bushings with new ones?
A lot of the slop I had in the steering came from that and the a-arm bushings. 1 good half day of work and you can change all of them. Just make sure you have a giant vice or a press. The giant vice worked for me.

A new steering rack and bushings went in last May.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Hmmm, the only other point int he steering where there should be a little play is in the isolater rubber bushing. Pop the hood and look for the steering column. It should follow a logical line from the steering wheel itself. Then it comes down to a spot on the shaft where there is a rubber isolator. If that is really worn out it could feel pretty sloppy while driving... :Wow1:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, the only other point int he steering where there should be a little play is in the isolater rubber bushing. Pop the hood and look for the steering column. It should follow a logical line from the steering wheel itself. Then it comes down to a spot on the shaft where there is a rubber isolator. If that is really worn out it could feel pretty sloppy while driving... :Wow1:

Looked it over yesterday and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
A sipder made trax to my door today....

Teaser/test fit
100_0240.jpg

UCA clearance before
100_0238.jpg

UCA clearance after
100_0248.jpg

I need to pick up a torque wrench and then get them all installed tomorrow.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Spent about 1.5 hrs tonight get the spacers put on all 4 corners (front and back). If anyone ever wants to have a good laugh come by my place and watch a 125 lb kid try to put a wheel back on.

Any how here are a few more photos

Drivers side UCA clearance before
100_0253.jpg

100_0257.jpg

UCA Clearance after
100_0260.jpg

Rear view before (passenger side, forgot to photo the drivers side before but you get te idead)
100_0269.jpg

100_0266.jpg

Rear view after
100_0267.jpg

Front view before
101_0153.jpg

Front view after
100_0262.jpg

Took it out for a test driver after and the rubbing noise is gone and I haven't noticed any weird vibrations. Steering feels a little more normal as well.

I have plenty of lock-tite on the studs and on the nuts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles