Slow build of the 4runner

Applejack

Explorer
OUCH!!! But as they say, it could have been worse. I think I'm going to make an appointment to have mine replaced next week. I've only got 126k but still I think I'll feel better knowing it's been done.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Went back though all my auto repair receipts and found one from May 29, 2010 in which the left lower ball joint was replaced - with one from Checkers/O'Reilly auto parts (Moog). So I wonder now if it was a piece of crap ball joint or if it was due to some other act that would've caused it to fail. If it was truely the part that failed.

Are those parts covered under warranty at all?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Are those parts covered under warranty at all?

Checker likely has a lifetime warranty on the part, however they won't cover labor or any other damages caused by the failure unfortunately. Get them to warranty the balljoint and give you cash back so you can get a OEM part. Go chat with Brad at Menlove, he'll take care of you... if not I can get the parts you need at a deep discount over general retail through my Toyota acct.

laxtoy

Adventurer
yeah, i noticed changes in moog upper ball joints when i most recently ordered a new one to replace due the driver side which had a cracked boot. both were done done about a year ago, and that was 1 thing i didn't like about them, the boots certainly didn't seem very high quality. the changes to the one i ordered recently i didn't like at all- the earlier moogs were identical to oem, but the new one had a zerk fitting instead of being sealed like oem, and the boot was a slip on type instead of one held on by tie wire like oem. i sent it back and got one from toyotapartsales.com and all was good. my lowers are moogs, and now i am feeling a bit concerned. moogs have always been said by the ttora community to be a decent replacement for oem, but now i don't know.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Thanks Kurt but the parts are on order already.

Someone just noted on another forum that the bump stops on the LCA are missing and from looking the photo and a few others it looks like they were never reinstalled with the new lca due to the lack of wear marks.

How would this affect it?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
All of the Taco/4Runner ball joint failures I have seen have still has the OE bumpstops in place. While its highly likely that lack of the bumpstop could surely accelerate wear on the ball-joints, its not a smoking gun. Hopefully the dealership is willing to work with you.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
My credit card now has a big hole burned in it but at least my insurance covered a little over half of the cost and I have my 4runner back minus the bump stops which are on order.

Any who, how is this for failure of the ball joint?

101_0190.jpg

101_0194.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
Popped out? Yikes. You should try out the timbrens for front bumpstops, I've really enjoyed mine.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
The 4runner is back up and running more or less. I took it back in to have the alignment readjusted since it was still pulling to the right a bit.

Got that corrected and now the brakes are making a noise while braking. If the weather clears up enough I need to pull the wheels off and see what's up.

Besides that shes running fine and good on a trail run yesterday.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Okay, so after two months of having the rims on I'm starting to see a little bit of wear on the UCA from rims. So it looks like a set of spacers will be in order.

Any recommendations?

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Just felt like posting a recent photo

P1000850.jpg

This shows where the UCA and the tire is rubbing at. Gotta love mud.

100_0213.jpg

It seems Spidertrax only sells 1.25" spacers but would that be too much then? Would a set from All-Pro or trail-gear work?

rtaylor

Observer
Okay, so after two months of having the rims on I'm starting to see a little bit of wear on the UCA from rims. So it looks like a set of spacers will be in order.

Any recommendations?

Grind the arm. Thats what i did to my '00 with stock wheels and 285s. Very common solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles