Slow build of the 4runner

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
IMG_0001.jpg

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I asked this on another thread but it had no replies so I'm posting it here. The shrockworks bumper that I have allows for two different sets of lights - (2) in the bumper and (2) on top of the bumper.

Which set of lights would you start with the upper or lower lights?

The lowers lights allow for only a 4" light (PIAA 510's or a custom set of lights) and the upper lights there's more opitions. Would the factory fog light wiring on the 4runner be sufficent for an aftermarket (1) set of lights?

When I do go with the full set of lights what would you all recommend wiring wise for it (additional fuse block, heavy set of wires, battery size/type sufficient for pwr).

Sorry, for the questions I'm just trying to get things in order so I can start saving.

Final Mod List for the time being in no particular order due to funds:

Piaa 510 Fog Lights
Lightforce/IPF Lights for the top of the bumper
Budbuilt Belly Skid plate
Custom CB antenna mount

CYi5

Explorer
The fogs in the bumper should be fine with the stock wiring, as the originals were also 55w I believe. If you want more piece of mind you can run new wiring (relay, nice inline fuses, switch). I think you'll get more everyday use out of the fogs, but a more substantial improvement out of upper lights, depending on where you drive mostly. I'd recommend some Hella 4000's with HID conversion or Light Forces with HID conversion.

edit: I forgot the Hella 4000's were too deep for the shrockworks without adding extra tabs or cutting into your grill. So go lightforce + HIDs

Last edited:

Rexsname

Explorer
Here is one vote for the Checker HIDs. While I dont know if they fit your budget, they are a great deal. They make two different sizes a 7" and a 4". I have one of the 7" and am very impressed.

REX

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
My set of PIAA's came in today and I have a question or two.

I'm going to be using the factory fog light switch and not the one supplied with the lights. On the back of the factory switch there are three prongs which one is the power, the ground and the netural?

PIAA switch wiring (white - power, red - netural and black ground correct)

Everything else is prewired except the power to the switch which needs to run to a source (obivous.

How should I wire the power to switch?

Thanks

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Small update after this morning -

IMG_0262.jpg

They work :wings:
IMG_0264.jpg

Still need to allign them though.

I'm not one for electrical since it kind of scares me, thinking I'm going to screw something up but they work and it feels great that they do. Right now I have them run on constant power from the battery but that will change in time.

Still need to allign them.

At the same time I went ahead and disconnected the drl's

CYi5

Explorer
Looks great! I really really wish my ARB had those holes :( Every time I look at my bumper I hope to have an epiphany regarding how to put some lower yellow fogs.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Well, I'm getting ready to wrap the mods up on my 4runner for awhile and last couple of things on the list involves a set of lights namely (Lightforce) and a Blue Sea fuse block (6). A high lift jack is the last item on the list.

Currently, I have my CB and a set of PIAA 510 fog lights wired directly to the battery put the power/hot connector for the battery is a pos and needs replacing and I don't like running those accessories off of it because of that fact.

So the plan is to wire them to a blue sea fuse block (found on for a good price off a marine equpiement site) to help clean things up a bit. As well as wire in a second set of lights (got to love Shrockworks for including spaces for additional lights on the bumper :sombrero:).

Now the question I have is what guage wire should I run from the fuse block to the battery? How would you all attach the fuse block: just velco it to the top of one of the factory fuse blocks or attach it to the firewall? I've used the search function and my head is just spinning from reading it all. :confused:

This will be the Birthday gift to myself. Got to love being single (well sometimes).

soonenough

Explorer
Now the question I have is what guage wire should I run from the fuse block to the battery?
That depends on how much power you need the fuse block to supply. First you need to figure out all the accessories that will be running off circuits from the auxillary fuse block, and add up all their amperage draws. That total amperage draw will determine the gauge of wire you need for the main line to the fuse block. There's some gray area involved in determining exactly what gauge you need for what amount of amps, but it's always better to err on the side of caution and add a factor of safety. It sounds like you're planning to mount the fuse block in the engine bay, which will mean a relatively short wire length (which typically means a smaller gauge wire required), but also means that the system will be operating in high temperatures (which typically means a larger gauge wire required).

Also keep in mind that typically (and I'm almost positive for the Blue Sea fuse blocks), each individual fused circuit can provide a maximum of 30 amps.

Here are two sites that show the amp capacity of AWG wires:
Link 1 - I'd look at the chart for 60ºC.
Link 2 - Look at "Maximum Amps for Chassis Wiring"

OR, you could just skip all that garbage, wire it with 4AWG, and call it good :sombrero:

How would you all attach the fuse block: just velco it to the top of one of the factory fuse blocks or attach it to the firewall?
I'd probably use something a little sturdier than velcro, even though that might hold up okay. I bolted my fuse block and main fuse holder to the top of the relay box, whch is right next to the battery. Here's a ridiculously oversized pic (sorry, didn't have time to resize :eek: )

AuxFuseBlock_025.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior