SLO's FWC Hawk Refurb/Build...

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hope Everyone had a GREAT New Year! Got a few nights camping in over the Holiday and tried out the setup in the SNOW! It was -5 degrees that night and the heater kept it at 45 while sleeping. Not bad at all! Sure did wish I had a new snazzy and nicely insulated Hawk with an Arctic Pack though. haha While we were up and moving in the camper it stayed at an easy 60 degrees.

Camping in the hot spring area behind Mammoth Lakes Airport (CA)

PC310153_zps062d898e.jpg

Camping in the Alabama Hills outside Long Pine CA

P1010222_zps251028cf.jpg

Quick Trip Report with Lots of Picts Coming Soon.

CLynn85

Explorer
Camper's looking good, man! I'll always be jealous of the amount of open space you guys have out that way. If we could get the jobs thing to work out right we'd be out there in a heartbeat!

GCecchetto

Adventurer
SLO;

Looking good. I'm envious of all the trips you're getting in, I can't wait till my thread turns to documenting the camper out doing what it's being built for.

Hey, the old tent from my camper looks to be in as good, or better shape than yours, and mine is insulated. Our campers are within a year or two of each other (well, were, guess mine's going to be a 2013 model now) and appear to have the same length cabover, so my old tent might fit your camper. Let me know if you are interested. I also have some other stuff you might be interested in.

Keep inspiring us with the awesome shots of the rig in use.

GC

SLO_F-250

Explorer
SLO;

Looking good. I'm envious of all the trips you're getting in, I can't wait till my thread turns to documenting the camper out doing what it's being built for.

Hey, the old tent from my camper looks to be in as good, or better shape than yours, and mine is insulated. Our campers are within a year or two of each other (well, were, guess mine's going to be a 2013 model now) and appear to have the same length cabover, so my old tent might fit your camper. Let me know if you are interested. I also have some other stuff you might be interested in.

Keep inspiring us with the awesome shots of the rig in use.

GC

GC,

Thanks! You dove MUCH further into the project than I and Im sure you will like it ALOT in the end! I'll keep the trip reports & picts coming! haha Im getting ready to take the camper off the truck and get it into the garage for exterior maintence and possibly paint... We'll see.

My old canvas is fairly aged. Small little cracks that I have patched and it can get pretty rigid. I might be interested, but a bit intimidated on trying to put it in! Ill send you a PM.
Thanks!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Gents,

It has been a while since I have updated. Been crazy at work & life in general. Typical eh. Im sure the same is true for a lot of you. Anyways, I have a few updates. The camper is off and getting a full exterior maintenance run. Re-sealing, re-screwing, cleaning, and painting. Im re-working the solor panel and rack layout on the roof. More pictures to come.

Here is a shot before I started taking stuff off and sanding/prepping.
2013-02-12_09-05-56_233_zps3240da8b.jpg

Next up is a project that I have wanted to do for years.... A swing out bumper. Love aluminess, but don't think they are worth the ridiculous $$$!

SO...

Here is what I camp up with. :wings:
Main goals:
- Carry (2) Jerry Cans
- Have box for storage
- Carry Bikes and swing out.

IMAG0026_zps9a5e48c3.jpg

Main Bumper Member is a 4x6x1/4" steel Tube. Swing out is 4x2x3/16" Tube. Got a spindle & bearing assembly off the web. All the plate work is 1/8" plate.

IMAG0028_zpsa3a84f64.jpg

IMAG0029_zps6ea380b8.jpg

The bike rack is just the Thule XT add on. \Bolts right in to the 2x2 steel tubing on the swing arm. Very solid.

IMAG0032_zps743441ae.jpg

IMAG0030_zpsffe51574.jpg

The box is just a weatherguard flatbed toolbox cut down to 45". Nice find on Craigslist for CHEAP. The Jerrycan holders are the smitty built ones off amazon.

IMAG0070_zpse95216d8.jpg

It attaches to the bumper with a 3/4" bolt. Yes, it is a bit of a pain to open and close, but I wanted it LOCKED into the bumper to help provide support. Well see how it goes and time will tell, but so far so good.

I would have loved to have a spare tire mount, but lose too much as far as utility and storage. Plus after having a camper on that rig and exploring for 4 years I have yet to get a flat. haha Watch, I just jinxed myself. :)

Let me tell ya. It was quite a project! :snorkel:
Cheers,

Paul

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Damn that's nice!!!

Gracias! :sombrero:

Few picts of the exterior maintenance. Lots of unscrewing, caulking, and screwing back in. Also I have removed everything on the roof. I plan on re-positioning the solar panel and cutting the front rack in half. It will help for when I haul the long-boards. Boards on one side, solar and vent on the other.

In the garage and getting stripped down.
2013-02-12_09-05-56_233_zps3240da8b.jpg

Working on removing the old moldy caullking removed at the roof trim area. Ready for some new stuff.
2013-02-12_09-06-56_445_zps27400653.jpg

2013-02-12_09-06-46_422_zpscc842211.jpg

I also found a pretty good deal on some paint to match the truck. I dont have a sprayer or anything so I ordered about 14 cans of..
Temp_zpsf5c9da83.png

HAHA! Camper will match the old ford. I had the local Sherwin Williams match my Ford Stock color for the roof. Cheaper. It actually got really close, but just not enough "metallic flakes" Roof paint will be rolled on. I paid the premium for exterior grade for metal. We'll just have to see how it works. So far Im about $150 in total for paint. Still have clear coat to pick up so probably will end up around $180 or so total. Not too bad. Hope it turns out good!

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz