SLO's FWC Hawk Refurb/Build...

warejn

Observer
Your builds have both been great. I have been inspired to go this route. I just picked up a palamino (sp?) pop up yesterday and looking forward to getting it going. Both build threads are providing a lot of info. Thanks.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Your builds have both been great. I have been inspired to go this route. I just picked up a palamino (sp?) pop up yesterday and looking forward to getting it going. Both build threads are providing a lot of info. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words!! Looking forward to seeing how your build turns out. :smiley_drive:

broncotime

HAH

Well, I snuck in about an hour tonight to keep prepping the camper for the first trip. I have a propane fire pit, which is GREAT, and needed to tap into the line in order to run it. I took my valve and fitting on the old camper and dug around my parts/ random stuff drawer and amazingly enough found what I needed!

I then have a 20ft extension line for the pit and simply hook it up to the valve when in use. This is great for 2 reasons... If you turn the valve down on the pit it hissses and ruins the makeshift campfire. This it allows me to regulate the pressure at the camper away from the fire. 2nd, I am able to position the fire on the drivers side, passenger, or back.

This is a GREAT thing to add to your setup. Also is nice when you are somewhere with no open fires allowed because this is technically allowed and not an open fire. Also you dont have to carry wood! :camping:

Picture of my setup on the old camper.
P5210444.jpg

The hood on the fire pit is from a little BBQ. Suspend it above the fire to help distribute the heat. Makes a HUGE difference. :campfire:

curious as to how the propane runs inside the camper from the passenger side over to the DS for the appliances, or is there another one on the other side? i've been considering ordering the propane door on the pass rear on a new shell if there's a way to get it routed over to the DS...

SLO_F-250

Explorer
curious as to how the propane runs inside the camper from the passenger side over to the DS for the appliances, or is there another one on the other side? i've been considering ordering the propane door on the pass rear on a new shell if there's a way to get it routed over to the DS...

Howdy Broncotime. In that old skamper there was a hard copper line that ran outside the front, then under the the outside of the side and back to the stove and heater. I think that is what was going on. Been a while since I have sold that old guy. In my signature there is a link to the work I did on the skamper. It might be worth a look. Cheers :ylsmoke:

Scoutman

Explorer
Howdy Broncotime. In that old skamper there was a hard copper line that ran outside the front, then under the the outside of the side and back to the stove and heater. I think that is what was going on. Been a while since I have sold that old guy. In my signature there is a link to the work I did on the skamper. It might be worth a look. Cheers :ylsmoke:

Mine does similar. My propane tank is in the pass rear corner and it runs a line external under the overhang all the way around to the gas accessories down the drivers side. I have a T fitting anytime it reaches the fridge, stove, hot water heater, heater. The copper pipe on mine runs through the camper on the front wall though but that's the only place it's not run external.

joeyabisa

Adventurer
Nice renovation! BTW, on your old scamper, what were the outside drawers made of? I'm thinking of doing something similar.

joeyabisa

Adventurer
I also like the idea of having a propane fire pit. hmmm.. I wonder if I could just get the elements and incorporate it into the fire pit I already have. Make it dual purpose- propane or firewood. Take your pick!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I also like the idea of having a propane fire pit. hmmm.. I wonder if I could just get the elements and incorporate it into the fire pit I already have. Make it dual purpose- propane or firewood. Take your pick!

Not sure that is doable, but I have never thought about it. Keep me posted how it goes! Glad you found the ole Skamper thread. That was a great camper.

Update:
No Mods lately. Camper is pretty much dialed. My fiance and I are love'n just using the heck outta it. Ill have to get some pictures up!

Here is a sweet shot from Montana De Oro State Park. Did a TON of mountain bike riding over Valentines day weekend!
Cheers to all!

joeyabisa

Adventurer
Not sure that is doable, but I have never thought about it. Keep me posted how it goes! Glad you found the ole Skamper thread. That was a great camper.

Update:
No Mods lately. Camper is pretty much dialed. My fiance and I are love'n just using the heck outta it. Ill have to get some pictures up!

Here is a sweet shot from Montana De Oro State Park. Did a TON of mountain bike riding over Valentines day weekend!
Cheers to all!

Nice pic! Yeah, the fire pit mod is something I don't even want to start. I've got too much going on with work, son, and house. With all those things I barely have enough time for my buld. Lol! If you're interested its here-
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/113793-Off-Road-Camper-Trailer-Build. I like the mods you've made and am looking forward to future ones.

Happyjax

Well this was a great not so short story! You did a bang up job and it was neat to see how you approached things. Thinking about getting a shell and making it mine. Lots of good ideas here. Love the ventless fridge and cooking with the portable stove to keep counter space. Does the stove work well in the camper? I guess you need to vent well but I think it is the way to go. More flexible and can go outside on lovely days:) Thanks for all this great info and pics!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well this was a great not so short story! You did a bang up job and it was neat to see how you approached things. Thinking about getting a shell and making it mine. Lots of good ideas here. Love the ventless fridge and cooking with the portable stove to keep counter space. Does the stove work well in the camper? I guess you need to vent well but I think it is the way to go. More flexible and can go outside on lovely days:) Thanks for all this great info and pics!

Thank you for the nice comment! The stove works great. Again, just make sure you are careful and the camper is vented. I love the additional counter space. Good luck with your build.

Well, it has been quite a long time since I have posted on here and updated. Guess that is a good thing cause I have been using the heck outta the camper. Mostly on weekend trips but still getting good use out of it. The main mod has been the addition of a new front bumper of the rig. I also just got done wiring in more exterior lights, more USB and 12v charging stations and more interior lights. I am also working on changing things around to dinette seating. I feel that is really nice for two people.

Here is a pict from my last trip to the desert in January. Mod picts to come soon.
Cheers,

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Nice pic! Yeah, the fire pit mod is something I don't even want to start. I've got too much going on with work, son, and house. With all those things I barely have enough time for my buld. Lol! If you're interested its here-
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/113793-Off-Road-Camper-Trailer-Build. I like the mods you've made and am looking forward to future ones.

Joey, Nice work on your build. Looks like you are in the thick of it. Keep posting picts and good luck!

DanT

Hey, I always admired your build. Can you tell me a few things about your swing out setup:
What spindle / bearing did you use? Does it lock? If on a down hill slope is it difficult to open? And how's it holding up?
Thanks
DanT

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey, I always admired your build. Can you tell me a few things about your swing out setup:
What spindle / bearing did you use? Does it lock? If on a down hill slope is it difficult to open? And how's it holding up?
Thanks
DanT

Thanks Dan. The specific picts are here. The hinge is a swing out spindle from AZ Fabrication. Its dang beefy. To "latch" it down I use a 3/4" bolt that connects to a nut welded on the inside of the bumper. Because the bumper arm is loaded up with weight I wanted something that would secure it and give it strength too. While a quick release would be nice, after 2 years of running it everything still works great and I have had no issues. On a downhill slope it is not hard to open. I Just have to make sure I hold the arm so it won't swing on its own. I have a spring loaded latch that secures it in place when open.

Hope that helps! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online