SLO's FWC Hawk Refurb/Build...

surlydiesel

Adventurer
What kind of Helper Springs did you put on??? Snap a picture for me if you don't mind. I use them on my little truck but on my F350, I beefed up the overload and put longer stops on the overload pads so they would engage sooner for when my camper was on.

Looks great!!!

-jorge

crawldit

Adventurer
Paint job looks awesome! I was thinking about redoing my Skamper in just plain white, but seeing how well your color match turned out, I may have to "attempt" the same. Awesome work all around on your build. It's an inspiration for some of us to get moving on our projects!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
WOW!

Awesome job. It looks so good that it almost has me motivated to work on my Skamper.....Almost.:)

Thanks! Pretty funny. Get to work on the ole skamper! :sombrero:

surlydiesel said:
What kind of Helper Springs did you put on??? Snap a picture for me if you don't mind. I use them on my little truck but on my F350, I beefed up the overload and put longer stops on the overload pads so they would engage sooner for when my camper was on.

Looks great!!!

-jorge

I bought the Hellwig Brand Pro Series Model. I really liked how they handled off road on this trip. Much less sway and the truck did not sag near as much. Good combo in my opinion. Amazon had a KILLER deal on them. Ill probably upgrade shocks next.

crawldit said:
Paint job looks awesome! I was thinking about redoing my Skamper in just plain white, but seeing how well your color match turned out, I may have to "attempt" the same. Awesome work all around on your build. It's an inspiration for some of us to get moving on our projects!

Thank you! :ylsmoke: As they say, it is all in the prep. If you plan on keeping the skamper for a while color match it, but if not just go white because you will save some cash. Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out! Keep the picts coming.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Made it out for a short 4 day weekend. Spent the time outside of Bishop CA. Bouldered in the buttermilks as well as the sads. Spent the other time just relaxing. Quick few pictures.

The Rig setup!
IMAG0359_zps66ec51ea.jpg

Picture of camp. Very nice!
IMAG0339_zpsd40e6413.jpg

WASURF63

Adventurer
I've been on the hunt for the same year truck and motor (for a similar project) for a couple months now, so I just read thru this whole thread again.
I'll have to say this combo turned out pretty awesome!
Very nice job, indeed.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
locrwln said:
The whole truck/camper looks great.

Jack

Thanks Jack!

I've been on the hunt for the same year truck and motor (for a similar project) for a couple months now, so I just read thru this whole thread again.
I'll have to say this combo turned out pretty awesome!
Very nice job, indeed.

Thank you for the compliment. I am very happy with it. Love the truck/motor combo and the camper compliments it very well. While it is mostly complete I will surely keep tinkering with it and adding fun stuff here and there. Look forward to see what you come up with for your project!

Cheers,
Paul

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Sweet set up man! I like what you have done!

Thank you! :sombrero:

Well now that the project is mostly complete I am enjoying it more! I decided last minute to head up to the Dirt Club outside Buellton CA and race in the Santa Ynez Classic last minute. The lady was out of town so it was a solo mission. :ylsmoke:

Got to the race venue just at sunset. It was beautiful. It was also the first time I used the new bike rack setup. SUPER HAPPY with it. Works Great!

The guy next to me in the sprinter was doing the same "solo race weekend" so we had a great time chatting around my little fire-pit and enjoying a few cold ones.

Next morning was very nice and the people started coming in for race day!

Had a few freinds show up to race as well. It was funny as we all drove Fords.

Here was the pre-race setup. Gotta make sure the bike is dialed!

Race was fun. Just did CAT 3 which was 1 - 12 mile lap. It was a good "wake-up" how out of shape Im in. But hey, its all about having fun right!!! Hope yall enjoy the picts. :smiley_drive:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...It was also the first time I used the new bike rack setup. SUPER HAPPY with it. Works Great!

Do you know your total rear bumper and tire swing-away weight? What is and the cargo load poundage?

I've been working on mine lately and looks like I'll have some serious weight when loaded.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Do you know your total rear bumper and tire swing-away weight? What is and the cargo load poundage?

I've been working on mine lately and looks like I'll have some serious weight when loaded.

Man, I have no idea. I can lift and move the main structure myself but it takes 2 people to move the arm with box and everything. My guess is 200 - 250 lbs empty. I would have to do some calcs to get close. It ain't no aluminess Ill tell ya. More like a tank bumper. Course it was a fraction of the cost as an aluminess.

Yes, it is some weight back there. Main reason I decided to add the hellwig helper springs. It helps with sway and levels the rig so it looks better. :costumed-smiley-007

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Man, I have no idea. I can lift and move the main structure myself but it takes 2 people to move the arm with box and everything. My guess is 200 - 250 lbs empty. I would have to do some calcs to get close. It ain't no aluminess Ill tell ya. More like a tank bumper. Course it was a fraction of the cost as an aluminess.

I think your guess is probably very close at around 250#

I'm not against aluminum but there is much to be said for a heavy-duty steel bumper.

Tank tough is perfect!

Yes, it is some weight back there. Main reason I decided to add the hellwig helper springs. It helps with sway and levels the rig so it looks better. :costumed-smiley-007

Springs to support the extra weight of the camper/armor are good. To paraphrase Eddie Murphy from decades ago... I'm not a fan of the butt dragging in the sand look.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Hey, like the work you're doing!! Not to change the subject, but way way back on page 3 you evidently bought one of these:
Battery.jpg

I'm just curious how it works... Would like some way to monitor my battery level other than plugging in a readout to one of the cigarette lighter sockets and trying to keep voltage above 12-12.2V.
Keep up the good work!!
Chris

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I think your guess is probably very close at around 250#

I'm not against aluminum but there is much to be said for a heavy-duty steel bumper.

Tank tough is perfect!

Springs to support the extra weight of the camper/armor are good. To paraphrase Eddie Murphy from decades ago... I'm not a fan of the butt dragging in the sand look.

Haha. We're on the same page! Let me know what you come up with. As of yet, I have no design changes I would do. Quick release latch would be good, but my bolt is darn strong.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey, like the work you're doing!! Not to change the subject, but way way back on page 3 you evidently bought one of these:
Battery.jpg

I'm just curious how it works... Would like some way to monitor my battery level other than plugging in a readout to one of the cigarette lighter sockets and trying to keep voltage above 12-12.2V.
Keep up the good work!!
Chris

Hey Deuce. I actually ended up not even using it. I have a Watts-Up meter through my solar panel which tells my my real time voltage. In an effort to pay it forward, if you want it PM me and its yours to try.

No new camper work news, but just plain fun times to report. Not a real "4x4 out there trip" but my friends and I all race the XC mountain bike race the Sea Otter Classic every year. Below are a few shots of from the race.

Camp getting set up and wrenching on the bikes is on the to-do list.

Pano of the evening. Pre-Race pasta dinner with the crew! Great time was had by all. We had 3 sites reserved next to each other.

Of course I have to take some parting shots of the rig.

Everything is working great. Ill have to modify my swing out bike rack accommodate the new bumper. Also, yes I went overboard. I had some paint left over so I painted my craigslist Yakima rocket box to match the truck camper. HAHA If you are going to go go big right!!??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94