SLO's Family Rig

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Portal Community! Since I have done two previous build threads here (see sig) I figured I would start documenting the new one. I also have enjoyed everyone's kind conversations over the years and wanted to get back on here.

When the second kid came my wife and I decided our FWC setup was not big enough. Many nights of discussion with glasses of whiskey over campfires and research we settled on a hybrid trailer setup. Found a used Coachman Clipper RB15 that fit the bill for the right price. Brought it home about 1.5 years ago and the mod's started the next day!

While this is not a super custom, home built, can go anywhere trailer, we have been happy so far, has done us well, and gone to some remote spots off the highway.

So far:
- 120W stick on flexible solar panel with charge controller and two deep cycle batteries in front tongue box.
- USB chargers
- LED Lights
- Microwave gone now storage cabinet.
- 4" Dexter Leaf over lift w/ trailer shocks added
- 235/75 R15 General AT's and 15" rims
- Dual propane tank setup
- Reinforced rear bumper and strengthened connections to the frame
- Added Jerry can Tool box mount and platform for RTIC cooler on bumper

Specs on the trailer here: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2015-coachmen-clipper-travel-trailer-floorplan-15rb-tr23356

Few picts for now:
IMG_20200724_183821.jpg

IMG_20200731_172057.jpg

IMG_20200214_163830.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_183821.jpg
    IMG_20200724_183821.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

rangerdogg

Adventurer
I followed and watch both builds . Both were awesome . Your build got me into truck campers . I have gone threw a few of my own and I’m at a hardside now . I’m sure it will be a great camper to build on. Looking forward . At lest your still enjoying camping with family . Enjoy it

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Thanks Ranger Dog! We thought long and hard about the hard sided camper. Glad it's working out for you!

Few more picts:
Welded up a little shovel etc holder for the spare tire before the last trip. Sure like the Quick Fist Clamps. Had them on the previous rig.
IMG_20200712_131108.jpg

Sunset shot in Death Valley in February. Before the world got crazy!!!

IMG_20200214_171620.jpg

Now for the next planned upgrade. The Dexter 4" lift and shocks I installed works well, but is clunky and loud. I have also already bent the axle slightly due to where I take this little guy. Not happy to say the least. I am looking into the Timbren Axle-less suspension in order to improve the rig along with adding some beef. The max weight of the little guy is right at 3500#. Timbren suggested I go with the 5200# suspension kit. Overkill is fine with me. Last think I want is a problem on a dirt road with the family in the car.

What do yall think?

Current setup:
IMG_20181215_150619.jpg

Versus:

timbren.PNG

I will have to get new brakes, hubs and rims unfortunately to add the beef. They make a 3500# setup, but after beating up this trailer last week in the back roads in Mammoth I am thinking the extra cost might be good....

SeekingAdv

I would like to do something similar to what you are doing, but perhaps with a different base camper. Did you consider getting a camper with a tandem axle v/s a single axle? I like the lighter weight and maneuverability of a single axle trailer but having four tires seems safer in the event of tire failure. Also, do you have any concerns about bears trying to get nosey with the soft sided bed areas?

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Howdy. Yes, I did consider long and hard about the double axle over tandem. At the end of the day and for what I wanted to do with it, I felt the single axle was the route I wanted. No doubt a tire failure is better on a tandem but I spent some coin on durable tires (General AT) and feel good about it. However, per the previous posts I have already bent my single axle and need to upgrade.

Regarding the bears, I do. But I used a pop-up cab-over for 12ish years and never had problems. Also I figure its no different than a roof top tent or just basic tent setup. To accommodate the family and keep the trailer at 15-16 feet meant we had to go the hybrid route. So far so good.......

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Just a quick update on my suspension thoughts. Project Beef it up!

Keep the leafs:
I have to sick with a 26" wide leaf pack because of my grey and wast lines. :confused: So my leaf options are limited. I emailed Deaver Suspension in SoCal and asked them if they make custom packs for trailers. We'll see what they say. Otherwise my other option is a replacement pack from etrailer. Just really upgrading the bushings and it won't help the ride much. If I end up going leaf's I will get a new 5200# Dexter axle to replace the already bent 3300# Lippert the trailer came with. Unfortunately that means to rims for the 6 lug pattern too.

Going Timbren Axle-less:
Cost wise the difference is not much cause I need pretty much everything (wheels, brakes, hubs, etc). I spent some time under the trailer measuring, looking at spacing, and travel. Both the Timbren 3500# HD Long arm system and 5200# system works. The 3500# system would fit better. My main concern is the lack of travel. Timbren's system only gets 2-3/4" of wheel travel where a leaf pack gets twice that. Seems plenty of people use this system so I guess it must be fine for large bumps/potholes at high speeds?

Let me know your thoughts. I am not doing any crazy off road crawling. Just enough dirt road to get away from people but want it capable. But I have beat up/bent the current setup so need to change it around. Timbren, chime in!

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Great looking trailer setup. Loving your bumper setup to add those accessories, good work on that one!

Just a quick note on picking the right suspension. We like to recommend that the trailer weight is 80% of your suspension capacity. So if you have an 800 lbs trailer going with a 1000 lbs capacity suspension. In your case running the 3500 lbs HD Axle-Less suspension wouldn’t be the best choice because you’re already maxed. Especially if down the road you’re adding more accessories.

We recommend going with the 5200 lbs Axle-Less suspension. That gives you lots of wiggle room if you’re adding more accessories or for those longer trips where you’re carrying more gear, food, etc. than usual. It will also give you more travel than the 3500HD because you’re not going to be maxed out right out of the gate.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions give us a call and chat with our in-house suspension techs (1-800-263-3113). They love nerding out over this stuff ??

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Thanks for the input Timbren! Very cool system.

Alright guys. Thinking long and hard about this. Grabbed a beer and took a harder look at the axle/suspension. It's a lippert axle only rated for 3,300#. So taking the GVWR minus tongue weight it's right on the edge. When I jack up the trailer the tire "splay" goes away so the positive camber built into the axle has just been bent out. It's just was not intended for abuse. I will be playing with it a bit more this weekend to verify, but I am thinking there might be a simpler/cheaper solution to try before dropping $1500 on a whole new suspension.

What about trussing the axle just like an off-road race truck does? The goal being to stiffen the axle up so under weight the tires dont splay out going into negative camber. Right now I am living deep in the negative camber zone due to beating on the axle and will be wearing through tires.
camper.PNG

By stiffening up the axle I can ensure I maintain close to Neutral camber. Something similar as my sketch below:

IMG_20200810_172852.jpg

I will probably want to do something all the way out to the flanges, but ya'll get the picture. AM I CRAZY? Any reason why this is a no go?

If I go this route I will adjust the shocks and order a quality pair of leafs from Deaver Suspension.

Input is appreciated! Thanks!

Alloy

Won't matter if you double the strentgh of the axle beam the bearings and brakes will fail first.

When I place any kind of fuel on the back of a vehile I think of what could happen if I'm rear ended.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Won't matter if you double the strentgh of the axle beam the bearings and brakes will fail first.

When I place any kind of fuel on the back of a vehile I think of what could happen if I'm rear ended.
Oh yea, I fully understand that. Axle is technically rated for the trailer. While I would love to overkill everything, it's just expensive. So strengthening it to get rid of the negative camber and not wreak havoc on my tires is the direction I am leaning. It's better then just leaving it as is......

Alloy

Oh yea, I fully understand that. Axle is technically rated for the trailer. While I would love to overkill everything, it's just expensive. So strengthening it to get rid of the negative camber and not wreak havoc on my tires is the direction I am leaning. It's better then just leaving it as is......
Axles are ment to deflect. If the pcs you add is too stong it will increase the chances of the axles breaking/bending where the added pcs stops.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Axles are ment to deflect. If the pcs you add is too stong it will increase the chances of the axles breaking/bending where the added pcs stops.

Yup, completely understand. I am wanting to reinforce to the brake flanges. Then the weak point is the spindle. With newer/smoother springs, added bump stops, and shocks it should see less abuse and I can't imagine it's any worse than running it as is like I have for the past 1.5 years.

However I fully admit that I am a practicing structural engineer and not mechanical. Dynamic forces are not my specialty (unless its an earthquake). ;) I just can't imagine the above will do more harm than good.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well after a lot of thinking about it I decided to go with the simple route last weekend. So far the trailer is much smoother and nearly silent...

- New Leafs from Deaver Suspension
- Grease-able bolts
- Fabbed up Custom shackles with energy Suspension Bushings
- Bump Stops (Might need taller ones)
- New Shackle Mounts
- Fully Trussed Axle
- Added a new Fan-Tastic Vent Fan as well. Much Nicer!

Few picts of the fun... Only time will tell...

IMG_20200912_123213.jpg

IMG_20200912_191459.jpg

IMG_20200913_164643.jpg

IMG_20200913_165502.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier