SLO's Family Rig

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey All,
Got a number of trips in on the new suspension. It's much smoother and handles the bumps rocks much better. The shackles allow much better cycling of the leaf springs. Did a death valley tip in March and really tested it out. Would not really go much more aggressive then what we did. Just enough to sweat. Anyways, figured I would throw up some picts. The setup is no real crazy off road trailer (as yall know) but at this point it's working really well for what we do.....
Cheers,

PXL_20210313_011615060.MP.jpg
original_eb40c55f-47a6-4bdf-a898-6517fe7c966f_PXL_20210312_232549723.MP.jpg

PXL_20210313_151001460.MP (1).jpg

PXL_20210313_191938302.MP.jpg

original_1c1942ee-057e-45fd-ae5f-a9d7b8ece5a8_PXL_20210313_224332986.MP.jpg

Trona Pinnacles

PXL_20210312_172338069.MP.jpg

DammitRMF!

Sweet Pics, Pablo!

I pick up my ATC in less than 3 weeks! We got bumped to the front of the line because all the Canadian orders got put on hold since nothing is crossing the boarder up there. I just installed a Hellwig sway bar to stiffen up the roll and had some Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate air shocks put on my Ram 1500. I got the empty shell with the heater. I'll do the build out myself. Might be giving a call for some tips and tricks. I finally went through your whole rebuild on your FWC. Good work! I feel like I have to get a welding set up now to fab up all the cool stuff. Maybe this summer we can do a meet up half way.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Thanks for the write up and pics. i have a 6x10 cargo trailer that i built last spring to tow with our LR3 and my family of 4 camp in it. It has worked really well except for the suspension. I was thinking about Timbren for the simplicity but they don't have much travel. It's interesting what you've done here. I don't have any restrictions on leaf spring length on my rig so could go with longer springs. That with longer shackles and bump stops might work as well or better than the timbren. It feels more complicated though because there's a lot more for me to figure out than just buying a kit and bolt/weld it on.

What does this sentence mean? " The shackles allow much better cycling of the leaf springs."

billiebob

Nice trailer, I almost bought the same one, non hybrid version.

I like your suspension upgrade, well thought out and on a tight budget.
I'm more a fan of units built on a budget than units bought/built with an open cheque book.
Glad to see it is working and you are using it too.

But I agree with the other comments, always build beyond the minimum. The minimum is speced for pavement.
My trailers are 2000# capacity but both were bought new with 3500# idler axles and 15" tires.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Shoot guys, sorry for the delayed reply.

Teardropper:
I got my panel from Continuous Resources. However it looks like they do not carry it anymore.

TroySmith80: What I mean is with longer shackles and with no metal on metal resistance, the springs will flex easier. This allows them to do their thing better. Coupled with the shocks the difference is big IMO.

Billiebob: Appreciate the comments.

Sadly, our time with this trailer has come to an end. We decided to upgrade to a non-hybrid so my tinkering will be starting all over again. I will be starting a new forum soon.
One last parting shot. Let the adventures continue!

PXL_20211024_013003316 (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94