Sliding door on a potential E-350 4x4 conversion. Is it a problem?

Joey G

So I'm shopping for a Ford E-350 to convert to 4x4. My plan is to use a Ujoint conversion, 6" lift with 35 inch tires. I keep coming across vans with sliding doors. I know there are extensions out there to give additional tire clearance, but how effective are they? Will I find myself severely limited on tire sizes, and wishing I had held out for that perfect barn door van? Or do the extensions make it mostly a non-issue?

I appreciate any input.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I have a ujoint van with 35's and a slider. After to conversion the door would open maybe a foot to 14''. I spent about half a day extending my hinge myself. It was a pain but saved me some $ and I have the satisfaction of doing it myself. I went about 1/4'' short of the max possible amount on a stock slider hinge and was shocked to find that I haden't gone far enough. My slider now stops from rubbing on the tire about 4-6'' from all the way back. I may re-do it again someday but it hasn't really bothered me too bad yet. If I had it to do over again I would take whatever doors were on the van I wanted. I do like how nice the slider is in parking lots with cars right near to the van.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
6" ujoint, 35s and slider with MG's extended slider hinge. Works great, does touch the tire for the last few inches but no big deal. A slightly different wheel tire combo would clear easier, shorter wheel adapters etc.

I didn't want a slider at first either, but there are a lot of great vans with sliders out there. It is nice in parking lots, and my experience is that the barn doors actually make more squeaks and rattles. Not to mention a much better view out the single window, less obstructions when everything is opened up.

My shameless plug, I'm selling my van if you want to avoid all of the trouble. ;)
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...4-Van-EB-V10-6-quot-Ujoint-35s-Aluminess-ARBs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94