Slide outs in expedition vehicles

danf

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the most appropriate spot to post, but it seems as though slide outs are pretty much never done on expedition vehicles?

I'm just wondering if the additional weight and complexity in offroad vehicles makes them hard to implement well, or if noone has been crazy enough? Has anyone explored the idea and decided against? It would probably just give me enough extra space to convince the other half that the Fuso/Isuzu 4x4 expedition truck would work, rather than where we are currently heading which is a 4x4 Fuso/Isuzu with toys etc on board towing an offroad caravan that we can ditch for short periods.

Thanks,
Dan

biggoolies

Adventurer
Apparently there can be a lot of dust ingress with the slide outs so it is not recommended for off-road dusty conditions. One company built a fuso with slide outs. Just can’t remember which one. And I don’t know how reliable these ones are.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
It has been done before. The problem is that you can’t use an off the shelf slide out. They are simply to flimsy and would not last long in an off road setting. You would also need to beef up your whole camperbody to handle that huge wall opening and weight of the slide out. If it would be me, I would stay away from it.

gregmchugh

Observer
The alternate option is a lifting roof model split in the middle of the box to keep the solid walls. Adds to the living area in a different way than a slide out.

See the GXV Pangea models and several from European builders for examples...

The Artisan

Adventurer
I am using my poptopper on the sides to expand space out on my fusos pod. So no weight is put on the panels, I am using high weight accuslides. It will increase my 7 wide pod 3 foot on each side in the living area
Kevin

danf

I am using my poptopper on the sides to expand space out on my fusos pod. So no weight is put on the panels, I am using high weight accuslides. It will increase my 7 wide pod 3 foot on each side in the living area
Kevin

Do you have any in progress or concepts? I'm struggling to picture what you mean?

danf

Saw this slide out on an expedition mog yesterday which I thought was interesting, looks like this one has stood the tests? Any idea what sort of a system it might use?

Attachments

• 20191110_105350.jpg
    20191110_105350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • 20191110_105344.jpg
    20191110_105344.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 95

DzlToy

Explorer
Talk to anyone who has lived with a slide out in an RV for an extended period of time and you will have your answer. Most are complete garbage, have poor sealing, poor longevity and are a maintenance nightmare. On a truck that sees off highway use, all of these issues are magnified.

If you have an unlimited budget, the issues above can be resolved. Buying a Lippert slide and screwing it into the side of a a wood or fiberglass box, has disaster written all over it.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
An HWH hydraulic slide system would be a better choice over the Lippert. However, the hydraulic system would be unforgiving of misalignment, shoddy construction, etc. Modern truck campers have up to three slides, and seem to sell well. If I had the resources, ie, a spare German Army box that we have on our Saurer, with it's aluminum stud ladder construction, I'd give this a go. Virtual decision-making is easy~!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I agree completely in what @DzlToy has said.
With an unlimited budget, many things are achievable. I cannot speak for everyone else, but sadly, I am definitely not afforded that luxury.
If you look at the major commercial players in the expedition camper building industry, very few go down the slide out route. There has to be a reason for that.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Look at overkill campers. He does a small slideout on his teardrops. Looks like uses heavy rated drawer slides.
Kevin

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As much as the sliding mechanism is an important component of the slide-out system, how you get it to seal well is another.
Cutting a big hole in the side or end of a camper body can also affect the rigidity of the box, which is yet another engineering challenge to overcome.
As mentioned... it's definitely not an impossible task, but it is an engineering challenge to do it well enough to withstand the rigors of off road travel and for it to last.

billiebob

I hate moving parts period. Even slide outs for coolers and drawers spell disaster to me, a guy who is hard on equipment and only picks the most durable and economical components. As mentioned with an unlimited budget any thing is possible. To me an overlander must be light, anything which is not fixed doubles the weight, first you need the frame, structure to house the slider, then you need the frame, structure and slider for the component. Plus every moving part, joint is a point of weakness.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94