Sleeping in Walmart parking lot with roof top tent

VicMackey

Adventurer
I know that Walmart allows and encourages people with RV's to sleep in their parking lots overnight. Has anyone slept there using a roof top tent?

I cant imagine they would have an issue with it, but there is a fine line between someone sleeping overnight and "setting up camp".

The fact that the tent is on a roof and cannot be run over by a car, and does not require (in most cases) ground staking, I am thinking it might be OK.

Anyone know for sure?

burton58

I have seen people set up a campsite for months at a time at our local walmart. Ground tents, awnings and all. Whether or not it's legal is to be seen

thedavidzoo

I was "taught" through many posts, online research, experience, etc., that it is bad form to set anything up at Walmart. The idea is to make it look like you drove up and parked, as if you were shopping, which, by the way, is a good idea to "repay" Mallwart for letting you stay the night free of charge. Folks treating it like a campsite, whipping out awnings, bump outs, satellite dishes, grills, chairs, is one reason some Walmarts no longer let RVs overnight. A few rotten apples spoil it for the rest of us. Although we don't approve of Walmart as a company, we certainly have taken advantage of their policy while passing through on the way to our destinations. So, IMHO, a rooftop tent is pushing it...I'm curious what others have to say.
There are some apps that let you know which Walmarts do and don't allow RV overnighters. One is "allstays".

ripperj

Explorer
I would never do it. A set up rtt draws wayyyyyy too much attention.

Not sure I would care, RTT, 5th wheel, or class A, pretty sure most people would figure you are sleeping if you are there at 3:00am.
It's not like you are trying to stealth camp in NYC

Sent from my Passport

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've slept in a few parking lots and the side of the road, but not a Walmart yet. The one thing that does worry me is an idiot will not see the ladder and hit it with their car. I'll park the truck and trailer in an L shape, with the ladder in the middle, and try to have the ladder towards something like a parking lot island or divider.

VicMackey

Adventurer
To clarify a bit: I am looking to be legit. I would only set up there if Walmart policy allowed it. And I would certainly give them my financial support as well.

IMHO the big advantage of Walmart is being able to roll in at midnight and grab some sleep. Lots of campgrounds will not allow you to set up so late.

VicMackey

Adventurer
I've slept in a few parking lots and the side of the road, but not a Walmart yet. The one thing that does worry me is an idiot will not see the ladder and hit it with their car. I'll park the truck and trailer in an L shape, with the ladder in the middle, and try to have the ladder towards something like a parking lot island or divider.

Great point about the ladder.

krick3tt

Adventurer
It is always a good idea to ask. Some allow people to stay but some don't, perhaps they have been taken advantage of and are just not in that frame of mind anymore. I have asked to use a part of a parking lot way in the back of a truck stop before but I slept in my vehicle and did not open myself up to curiosity. I once stopped in an auto shop lot about 2 am and woke to find someone trying to get in.
A Pinzgauer gets a lot of attention...wanted or not. Now I have an LR and it seems to blend in better.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
<snip>. Although we don't approve of Walmart as a company, we certainly have taken advantage of their policy while passing through on the way to our destinations.

Good thing ever one does not agree with your entitlement attitude. Otherwise 1.4mil would be out of work and there would be no Walmart parking lots.

thedavidzoo

It has nothing to do with entitlement. I was making a reference to Walmart policies regarding screwing workers and the environment. I am glad they provide jobs for millions, but for not much else. Perhaps they have improved lately? Then again, Walmart isn't the only huge company with these issues...and we wonder why...:Wow1:
Anyway, back to sleeping in parking lots.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I have seen people set up a campsite for months at a time at our local walmart. Ground tents, awnings and all. Whether or not it's legal is to be seen

I have to say, the group of "campers" that I saw at a walmart in maine were some of the spookiest I'd ever witnessed. Hard to describe, but as the family and I rolled through the parking lot past their little area I kind of got that "The Hills have Eyes" vibe. I mean these people were "camped OUT". Lawn chairs, awnings, little above ground fire pit thingies, you name it, and all eye-balling us like the next meal. It looked like a homeless community except everybody had ratty-a$$ed old beat up campers instead of ratty-a$$ed old beat up tents and tarps (they had those too).

I made a post somewhere about them and the difference between them and the Cabelas versions, having nicknamed them Walmartians and Cabelians (which I thought quite witty), and promptly got chewed up over my racist, homophobic, intolerant, insensitive and whatever else you can think of, self.

Hnoroian

Observer
Stay one night only!
Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
Obey posted regulations.
No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.
Words to live by; and I'd like to add, be respectful to any and all.

Personally I've slept in the back of my truck (blacked out) over night and was fine, but popping out the tent I'd feel a bit sketchy.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I really like Cabela's. I have their credit card which I use as my only sole credit card for purchases (earns me reward money to buy more stuff at Cabela's). I'm literally sitting here typing this wearing a Cabela's sweater and shoes from Cabela's.

I am a Cabelian!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles