Sleeping in my Xterra in bear country. Where should I keep my food?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Bears are going to learn how to toss aside those fences in 3-2-1......

Those can't hurt much more than how it feels to rip a car door from it's hinges.

shade

Those can't hurt much more than how it feels to rip a car door from it's hinges.
And yet, they're still used effectively in bear country.

I don't even know what you're on about with the car door line.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

They'll eventually figure it out. How long did it take bears to figure out a hanging food pack? And some of the early beards proof canisters were taken off the market because bears learned how to open them.

Next time I see Yogi I'll suggest pole vaulting ?

shade

A bear will eventually decide that the food they want is worth the hit, and they'll bound through the fence. No surprise, there.

Dogs do something similar when escaping from a radio collar zone. Run hard, take the hit, and keep running to freedom. Bears are very smart, powerful animals. This is a great example of just how smart some are. Over time, it's likely that some bears will figure out how to defeat fences. Some of the most experienced bear bandits live around Yosemite. Here's an article on their mischief. They're very good at exploiting the failings of humans.

No one suggested bear fences are penetration proof bear shields, just as no one should believe there's any one completely foolproof way to avoid bears when you go into their home. Of course, I don't know why you'd want to go to Beartown and try to avoid all contact with bears.

drunkbackpacker

I agree. Outside the towns, there are some private campgrounds, but I think most people just pick a spot on federal land and call it home for the night.

This is a few miles south of Silverton. Why would I want to pay for a campground when this is free?

p2459030203-5.jpg
Not just free...you’ve got all that land to yourself.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
...Of course, I don't know why you'd want to go to Beartown and try to avoid all contact with bears.

I was in alaska during the yearly moose hunt. Thousands of locals get to take a bull during the fall. They drive into the backcountry. Kill a 600lb+ animal. Many set up a big compound to process the kill (you can't just take horns due to the state laws). Many have slaughter tents, smokers, freezers, etc. A hungry bear looking to get that last big meal before the winter, would be sorely tempted by all those calories.

Situations like the above, hike-in hunters with kills, etc, are a common cause of fatalities with bears. A kill like that is basically a beacon for all the carnivores downwind for 20 miles.

shade

I was in alaska during the yearly moose hunt. Thousands of locals get to take a bull during the fall. They drive into the backcountry. Kill a 600lb+ animal. Many set up a big compound to process the kill (you can't just take horns due to the state laws). Many have slaughter tents, smokers, freezers, etc. A hungry bear looking to get that last big meal before the winter, would be sorely tempted by all those calories.

Situations like the above, hike-in hunters with kills, etc, are a common cause of fatalities with bears. A kill like that is basically a beacon for all the carnivores downwind for 20 miles.
Ok, you got me. There are reasons to visit Beartown and not want to see any bears. I may not be interested in them, but they exist. :)

For the bear-fents-is-stoopid folks, hunters use them to keep bears away from their kills, so they might be more effective than you think.

shade

Not just free...you’ve got all that land to yourself.
That's the best part. Once you get an eye for finding a good campsite, they just start popping up. Add in iOverlander and similar services, and it's not too hard to find dispersed sites as long as you're traveling through public land that allows it. They aren't always that nice, but they're not $20 or more a night.

For that Colorado site, we ate in Silverton at the closed visitor center (free water, picnic area, trash, and restroom), and I checked the satellite imagery (free wifi) ahead on our route for some likely campsites. I saw some meandering roads that intersected the highway, and decided we'd poke around and see what we could find. There were some other spots that were more level, but that one was at the end of the double-track trail, so no one would be driving by. I leveled the truck by pulling onto some rocks, and called it good.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
That's the best part. Once you get an eye for finding a good campsite, they just start popping up. Add in iOverlander and similar services, and it's not too hard to find dispersed sites as long as you're traveling through public land that allows it. They aren't always that nice, but they're not $20 or more a night.

For that Colorado site, we ate in Silverton at the closed visitor center (free water, picnic area, trash, and restroom), and I checked the satellite imagery (free wifi) ahead on our route for some likely campsites. I saw some meandering roads that intersected the highway, and decided we'd poke around and see what we could find. There were some other spots that were more level, but that one was at the end of the double-track trail, so no one would be driving by. I leveled the truck by pulling onto some rocks, and called it good.

Sounds like nearly every one of my campsites in Western MT. Always best to be at the end of the road. :)

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Hopefully this is not too off topic but I feel it ties in enough and this seems to be where the experts are. GF and I will be exploring around Lake City, Ouray, Telluride area first week of September. My experience leads me to believe this area is well enough traveled that bears will not be a huge issue. We will be sleeping in the camper top on the truck occasionally and we will have spray and ballistic protection. How much more "Bear Prepared" do we need to be? Food will be kept in my faux-yeti, should we just hang that and be done with it?

Was down there this past weekend and they’ve sent out notices regarding high bear activity and Ive seen video from couple days ago of bears in the field leading up to Ouray. We stayed in a rooftop tent and felt fine in the area we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The wife and I were up in SE British Columbia this afternoon, hiking near Stagleap Pass to take pictures of the wonderfully varied, colorful display of wildflowers blooming in this uncrowded West Kootenay region.

We saw a blond maned griz today about 200 yards away from us up the mountain, meandering quite unconcerned as it headed diagonally downhill across a utility line clear cut. It was a thrilling but too brief sighting of the bruin before it disappeared from our view into the wet, thicker closed in understory.

So I kept one hand firmly gripped on my orange can of UDAP bear spray and my eyes scanning the nearby forest’s edge the whole rest of the time my wife busily focused her efforts on setting up and snapping her flower pictures.

Tonight though, I have to admit that we’re feeling quite safe from any unprovoked attacks by blood thirsty, predatory ursine marauders...as we’re happily, comfortably camped out in a warm motel room in nearby Nelson where our food is safely stored for the night in the mini fridge.

Cheers!

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Viking w/Hammer opined:
“Bears are going to learn how to toss aside those fences in 3-2-1.....”

And Shade Countered:
And yet, they're still used effectively in bear country.

Here’s my dos centavos on the subject:

Camping recently outside of Lake Louise in Alberta, we saw that the Canada Parks folks have installed electric fences around small “tents only” campgrounds and found out that they’ve been using these barriers effectively for several years.

That means that there’s been plenty of time for the many hungry bears here to have learned how to successfully defeat these defenses...and interestingly enough that hasn’t seemed to have become a problem yet.

And, judging by the numerous large piles of bear poop that we discovered deposited along and in the trails we walked that wound around and nearby these electric fence enclosed tent campsites, the bears here frequently do roam through these areas but stay away from trying to enter the camps.

I’d say....based on personal observation, and also by our follow up chat with a knowledgeable Parks Canada Warden...that the electric fences do seem to be effective time tested (and bear tested) deterrents.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94