Sleeping Bags

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am looking for advice on a good 3 season sleeping bag, not the $600 bags, and perferably under $300. Any advice?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Flyingwil, you should be able to get a high-quality, lightweight three-season bag in that price range from one of the better makers such as Marmot or Mountain Hardwear. If you never plan to carry it except in a car, a $50 item from Cabella's will serve you just as well, and you get the deer and ducks on the flannel lining thrown in free.

I've reviewed, at a guess, a couple hundred sleeping bags in the last decade, and reached a few conclusions. For lightweight bags, down is best, period. No synthetic insulation has yet come close in weight savings, compression, and most of all durability. A good down bag will outlast three or four synthetic bags at least, making it the most economical choice in the long run. The only theoretical advantage synthetic bags cling to is superiority when the insulation gets wet. But really, how many people have you known who got their sleeping bags soaked in the field? When I sea kayak I put my down sleeping bag inside two dry bags and forget about it. Condensation and body vapor are not factors if you buy a bag with a waterproof/breathable shell.

With the increasing availability of prime Eastern European goose down in recent years, loft ratings have skyrocketed. 800-fill down is now common; however, anything over 600 from a reputable maker indicates good down.

For three-season bags I don't personally like tight mummy shapes unless I'm really going featherweight. A semi-mummy or rectangular bag is much more comfortable. Likewise, a full-length zipper is a good idea.

Depending on your height and size, I might have a bag or two around that would suit you. Email me if you like.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
www.campmor.com
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/
http://www.rei.com
http://www.rei.com/outlet/index.html
www.ems.com (expensive mountain sports)

These are the places I look online for outdoor gear. I am not a fan of synthetics, I must admit I do not have any direct experience with sythetics, except w/ my daughter's bags. Johnathon hit all the high points. The only high point for synthetics are they are easier to clean, good for kids learning to potty train at night.

I will also put my hat in for western mountaineering sleeping bags. They are the best bags I have ever seen/used, but you pay for the design.

Your needs will dictate what you get. Car camping only, how warm/ventilated your tent is, carcamping vs. backbacking vs. both. Personally, I quit sleeping in a sleeping bag about 7 years ago. I have a fleece blanket and use the sleeping bag as a quilt/blanket.

Ross

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have been using synthetic for about 5 years. Jonathon can add me to his short list of people who have slept in a wet bag (one heck of a rain storm in the South San Juan Wilderness area in So. Colorado). But if I were to buy another bag for backpacking.....I would seriously consider down and a dry bag. But my 30*, $59 synthetic is still light enough and compact enough to serve me well on backpacking and camping trips, so I have little need to spend the money for another bag.

Suty

Adventurer
Wil, You might want to give Wiggy's bags a look. I have had some expierence with these and they are a quality product as well as one great sleeping bag. They have the FTRSS( Full Temp Rang Sleep System) it consists of a Over Bag ( good to 35+) and a Bag (good to 0) gives you the complete range from like -20 up ( not that you would need that) But it shows how much thought goes into their products. Also, Most of the Special Ops guys have used their stuff at one time or another, thats how I found out about them. Anyways , give'm a look. wiggys.com Tu Compa, Suty

Scott Brady

Founder
Great topic... I have the light weight and hiking stuff covered, and even car camping with a few cheaper bags, but I would like to get a nice quality two person bag for the Eezi-awn. Something that had a removable sheet too would be great. :camping:

flyingwil

expeditionswest said:
Great topic... I have the light weight and hiking stuff covered, and even car camping with a few cheaper bags, but I would like to get a nice quality two person bag for the Eezi-awn. Something that had a removable sheet too would be great. :camping:

For a nice 2 person, you can find a nice rectangle bag and connect 2 of them to gether the old school way, there aren't too many nice ones out there that I have come across. I called a friend of mine and asked him what he had, he has the older version of the North Face Allegheny. They dub them up. Looking at the picture online, it looks like you might not be able to dub them up. He mentioned... that it's a summer only bag, and "below 50* it sucks _ _ _." So it might be a good summer bag.

For the Sheets you can use two liners as well like theese here:http://www.backcountry.com/store/KE...-Poly-Cotton-Travel-Sheet.html?swatch=KEL0285

flyingwil

Suty said:
Wil, You might want to give Wiggy's bags a look. I have had some expierence with these and they are a quality product as well as one great sleeping bag. They have the FTRSS( Full Temp Rang Sleep System) it consists of a Over Bag ( good to 35+) and a Bag (good to 0) gives you the complete range from like -20 up ( not that you would need that) But it shows how much thought goes into their products. Also, Most of the Special Ops guys have used their stuff at one time or another, thats how I found out about them. Anyways , give'm a look. wiggys.com Tu Compa, Suty

Cool concept and design.... Might add that to the list, Thanks Suty!

asteffes

Explorer
flyingwil said:
I am looking for advice on a good 3 season sleeping bag, not the $600 bags, and perferably under $300. Any advice?

I love my Marmot "Never Summer" bag. It uses 600+ fill down, has a 0 degrees Farenheit rating, *excellent* hood design with neck tube and easy-to-manage drawstrings. It also has a "snagless" zipper with no velcro to scratch the face. It's a user-friendly bag that is very warm, compressible and I believe an excellent value for the usual $200 purchase price. They list for $250, I got mine for $180 during a sale at REI.

Hope that helps.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
flyingwil said:

I have 2. One for 3 seasons, and one for summer.

I have had this bag for about 7 years now and have used it probably close to 75 times and dont have a single complaint. It has been used in -10 degree weather and kept me toasty warm! It is too warm for summer use though which is why i have a cheapy for summer.

I use and recommend this one for about 75% of all camping weather (when i bought it the "mummy" shape was all the rage, and it does help keep you warm in the snow, less open space, but, if i were to buy again, i would go with rectangle since i dont do much snow camping anymore):

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...=4791&cat4=1097&shop_method=pp&feat=ssdpb1097

For the summer heat i use this and usually just sleep on top of it:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...toreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa1097

I also have a 31 YEAR OLD (yes 31 YEARS old) down bag from EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) back east that my girlfriend uses on everytrip and loves it. I got it at a hand me down place back east and the manufacture date was still on it 1974!!!!! Work like a champ! VERY VERY high quality! If i was to buy again, i wouldnt hesititate on buying from http://www.ems.com/ As with REI, EMS also has great "USED GEAR" sales!

My .02

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
When you're a big dood, as I am, comfort is always a concern.

For car camping, hunting, etc, I have a Coleman Big Basin 0 degree bag. I bought it at Sportsman's warehouse for 70 buck I think. It's warm and roomy at 39" x 92".

For backpacking I have the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree bag from REI. I paid 189 on sale at REI. It weighs less than 4 pounds and stuffs down to 8" x 17" and still is comfy for me due to the bag's 73" shoulder girth.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have several el cheapo bags, but what I have been using most lately are two bags from Cabela's: Cabela's Summit Bags They zip together to make a big bag! Lots of room for me.
One bag is rated at 0 degrees and the other -20 degrees. When temps are mild the 0 degree bag is on top. When colder, I just flip the bags over and the -20 bag is on top.

Works for me!

Ed :victory:

+ d

Adventurer
DaktariEd said:
...One bag is rated at 0 degrees and the other -20 degrees. When temps are mild the 0 degree bag is on top. When colder, I just flip the bags over and the -20 bag is on top.

now that is smart!

Justin

Observer
expeditionswest said:
I own a 2 person bag made by Kelty that has worked out great when I go camping with my wife. I am not exactly sure of the model name since I received it as a Christmas gift, but it has worked great and so far no complaints.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I am actually in the bag market as well.
I have an old Kelty mummy from about 10 years ago but my wife and I are getting into doing more vehicle based camping as well as overnight backpacking. I am a fan of Kelty products so I think the answer for us is going to be one of the big double-wide bags for vehicle camping and two small lightweight mummy bags for backpacking. Now I just have to choose a temp rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior