Sleeping bag or duvet?

jadmt

ignore button user
down comforter for us. works when warm and also when in the 20's. way easier to pack than sleeping bag too.

highwest

Sheets and a blanket, just like at home. If it’s cold, the sleeping bag gets unzipped, laid out flat, and goes in between the top sheet and the blanket. Repeat as necessary when the temperature continues to drop.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
You're car camping... er Overlanding... use whatever is most comfortable for you that you have room for. Keep the overly specialized compromise driven camping gear for Boy Scouts and backpacking. Nothing ruins a good trip like a sh!tty nights sleep.

roving1

I am a big guy across the chest and also a fat ass. I never fit in sleeping bags well but when it is really cold they do seem to work better. I finally broke down and bought this two person bag for myself. It is so nice to be able to turn around an move around unhindered. The bag also completely unzips into two separate halves so you can use it as just a blanket or give a whole separate blanket to another person.

robert

Expedition Leader
Sleeping bag when backpacking or it's really cold, otherwise sheets, cotton blankets in summer and wool in winter, sleeping bag opened up to make a duvet, some combination of all of the above- it all depends on where I'm going and the weather. There's always a Mexican blanket or surplus wool blanket in my truck year round. I'm broad through the chest and shoulders (and unfortunately a bit more through the middle as I've gotten older), have big feet, a side sleeper and I move around a lot in my sleep so I hate mummy bags even though I own a couple. I miss my old school green canvas Coleman rectangular bag with the wool blended whatever it was for insulation and the red checkered flannel lining. Always comfortable to climb into, roomy, made a great floor covering to sit or lounge on in the back of the truck or tent and apparently tasty to one of the dogs I used to have. I wish I could find something similar- anyone know anything about the Cabela's bags? I hate Bass Pro and what they've done to Cabela's brands.....

bear100

Thanks for the info, I have purchased a Robens coulee 11 sleeping bag which unzips into a duvet, when zipped it has a great amount of room and rectangular not tapered. The fabric is very soft and not cold to the touch and not to bulky either.
I’m currently on an overland in Chamonix France and actually In bed with the bag writing this!
really is a great bit of kit!(y)

Millses

I like blankets better than sleeping bags. When I cover myself with a blanket, I feel much more comfortable because it doesn't constrain my actions. When I fell asleep in sleeping bags, I woke up in an inverted bag. Recently, for a more comfortable sleep, I ordered on https://sommio.co.uk/ weighted blanket. With this blanket, I relax before going to bed and fall asleep within 5 minutes (I used to suffer from insomnia). In addition to the fact that this sediment helps to relax, it helps the body to produce serotonin (the hormone of happiness).

Last edited:

Mfitz

I took the shortcut and just asked my wife. I then found out it's pronounced "du-vay" not "du-vet".
I like your style! I was shopping in the grocery store in small town NH a few years back and couldn't find the quinoa my wife asked me to get. To be honest I wasn't sure where to look, so I asked a store employee where to find it. After repeating the name twice and describing it, then finally spelling it, the employee said "Oh, you mean the "kwin-o-a"!" Yes, I said , that is exactly what I mean, thanks! They happily showed me where it was. Man, I miss NH!

Jupiter58

Sleeping bags are the warmest and 100% down most compact for sure, But I'm used to camping off a dirt bike. Overlanding on 4 wheels, warm and comfortable, the mattress is just as important as the covers! As said earlier, a good nights sleep is more important than anything else on a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles