Sleeping bag or duvet?

bear100

Here’s a question and your opinions.

Sleeping bag or duvet?

Both have pros and cons but what do you use? Make, model and why?

I’m not a fan of sleeping bags I find them restrictive and hard to control temperature wise, i have a wide chest and shoulders, I’m also a bit of a wriggler.
I been using a Coleman xl bag which has served me well but just need that bit more freedom.
I sleep in Oztent RV4 on a stretcher with an exped mega mat 10.
Over to you!

alanymarce

Duvet most of the time, extra "technical" blanket as an addition or alternative, single sheet when it's hot. We also carry two very lightweight but efficient sleeping bags (which take very little space) in case it gets REALLY cold, and then either use them as an extra blanket or get into them under the duvet.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use a sleeping bag but often open it to use as a blanket as the foam pad I sleep on is quite insulated so sleeping is quite comfortable even when it is cold (40 deg F). I don't camp in the winter.
I used an old sheet and sewed it to make a cover for the pad. Keeps the pad clean.

coastalcop

Snugpac. Jungle bag xl. Can have both. Either large rectangle bag or unzip for duvet. But depends on what temp you camp at. I use this and the jungle blanket down to high 20s F. Hot weather I use a 6x9 canvas drop cloth. Washed several times and it’s Softer than the linen sheets my wife got me, and the looser weave allows much better airflow. Actually I still use one of those drop cloths as my top sheet at home ;)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Here’s a question and your opinions.

Sleeping bag or duvet?

Both have pros and cons but what do you use? Make, model and why?

I’m not a fan of sleeping bags I find them restrictive and hard to control temperature wise, i have a wide chest and shoulders, I’m also a bit of a wriggler.
I been using a Coleman xl bag which has served me well but just need that bit more freedom.
I sleep in Oztent RV4 on a stretcher with an exped mega mat 10.
Over to you!

Depends on temps...but, cool desert nights I use in my RV-4 (and outside under the stars) a camp cot, cowboy canvas bedroll with a cotton sheet and wool blanket. All roomy, breathable and warm by early morning. But, if it gets cold you will need to add more blankets.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place

Quite expensive but back in the day when I was a UL backpacker I used a down quilt with straps to single digits. For hood I used a down bacalava that straps shut. The nice thing about these is they have a foot box, which I added another once of down plus customized to my exact size...had to count tenths of an ounce:)

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Duvet is the best, if you cross different climate areas. Did use it while living over an year in my vehicle (transafrica, southamerica, europe) - in the alps / andes with an additional blancket..

IMG_4006.jpg

PCO6

Adventurer
We use a sleeping bag as a duvet. Unzipped and opened up it fully covers the bed in our trailer. It's usually a simple summer bag and if it's cold we use a flannel lined bag. Neither are expensive bags. My wife will sometimes sleep on top of a polar fleece blanket and under the bag/duvet. We have a propane furnace in the trailer but seldomly use it, generally camping from May to October.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles