Sleeping Bag Alternative for Long-term International Trip

Hoping to benefit from your experience as I decide on bedding for a multi-year trip around the globe. I don't want to use a sleeping bag because A) it's really hard to wash properly on the road, out of the country, and B) it makes me feel like I'm camping, not at home. (Note: we'll be living in a Jeep Gladiator + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper, which is a pop-top.)

So the alternative is a sheet set and...what kind of blanket or comforter for all seasons?

At first, I was leaning towards a down comforter. This is my husband's preference and what we've been using as full-time RVers the past few years. Pros: could use a duvet cover, which would be as easy to wash as sheets. Canopy Camper would still close. Cons: Still very bulky if we ever did have to wash it. Also, where would we put it in hot weather when we don't need it?

I'm extremely curious about the A.G. Wilderness Quilt by Prometheus Design Werx, which Expedition Portal just wrote about a few days ago. I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used it. Having not used it, this is what I see...Pros: still goose down, seems plenty large enough to tuck under and preserve body heat, and stores in a bag the size of a single sleeping bag.

We will have a heater in the rig, but of course it could always malfunction at the worst time.

What considerations am I missing? I need bedding for my husband and myself up in the tent, as well as my young son who will be sleeping on a bench in the bed of the Gladiator.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think you're on the right track, thinking in terms of being able to easily wash things, especially the stuff that will be right up to your skin.

Any sort of down - be it your existing comforter or a new fancy thing, should compact enough to be readily stored during the "off" seasons. Compression stuff sacks can be purchased in just about any size you need and this is what I would suggest. To my mind, the main disadvantage of any down product for fulltime use is the relative fragility of the "shell" and the tradeoff for compressibility. Camping-style down equipment tends to favor high compression and have taffeta or similar shells that aren't particularly hard wearing. Home-style down comforters, esp. those with a duvet, may not compress as easily. (But should still be stuffable, if more bulky than a camping-style equivalent.)

If you are interested in something more sleeping-bag like but want the ease of washing, then I recommend looking at silk or synthetic bag liners. A variety of travel companies make silk sleep sacks that are VERY packable, and meant to go between you and whatever sketchy bedding has been provided by the hostel or hotel du jour.

You didn't say where you're going, but that will be a factor - in my experience, full-service and/or self-service laundromats are a thing everywhere in North/Central/South America and Western Europe, with decreasing prevalence as you head towards some parts of Asia and Africa. (All the "urban" Asian cities I've been to have laundromat/laundrette type places, but factory towns and more rural places less so, for example.) If you're travelling to places where commercial laundry is a thing, then I'd say you're safe to use whatever makes you most comfortable. If you'll be bouncing around the perimeter of Africa for two years, you'll probably want a system where you can wash at least the layer closest to your skin in a bucket or sink.

You didn't say where you're going, but that will be a factor

I really appreciate your thoughts. We plan on overlanding Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia for the next 10-15 years. I'll look into bag liners, though I have to admit something in me is still pushing against the idea of a sleeping bag!

Another vote for sleeping bag with silk liner. If it's warm, just use the sleeping bag like a duvet.

Duly noted! I'll do my research.

alanymarce

We use:

- sheets - one fitted for the mattress, one standard - high quality hence comfortable. In hot climates, that's it.
- a light "technical" blanket - packs down into a small space, has rectangular cells for warmth, very good insulation. This is the second layer when needed.
- sleeping bags with silk liners. Sometimes on top of the upper sheet, as a "normal" sleeping bag, sometimes on top of the blanket for extra insulation (now have three layers).
- if it's really cold, the sleeping bags under the blanket, and if needed, silk thermal underwear. So far we've never reached this level - and we've camped in tempeatures down to - 14 C.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Take a full size sheet fold it over and sew the end and side, makes a bag liner, available almost anywhere, inexpensive and when it wears out replace it, anywhere in the world. Don't overthink this.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We plan on overlanding Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia for the next 10-15 years. I'll look into bag liners, though I have to admit something in me is still pushing against the idea of a sleeping bag!

If you prefer not-bag, then by all means plan for sheets and a warm blanket or two. The duvet is a good thought as that'd be easier to launder too. Or go wool blanket and just plan to whack it with a beater every so often! :D

Laps

As was mentioned in the OP's post, a quilt is the obvious solution and there are a lot of choices in that regard. Check out "hammock quilt" via a search and you will find a plethora of companies, temperature ratings, prices, materials and sizes. There are rectangular quilts along with the typical hammock style quilts offered also by some of those companies.

GHI

Adventurer
I’m not familiar with the mattress situation in your set up. We had a Beddys in our camper van and loved it so much we have them at home now too. Easier to wash than you’d think.

dms1

Explorer
I would use a microfiber blanket, get 2 , use one for summer and both for winter, They are comfortable, warm, don't take up much space and easy to wash. We just finished traveling the western US for two years in a class C RV and that is what we used. Going forward, when overlanding I am just going to use a microfiber in the summer and a wool blanket with the microfiber blanket in the winter.

Edit - Wanted to add that we never slept with our heater on, we only put the heater on when the temp was going to below 32 degrees so out water pipes would not freeze, but even then we set the thermostat to 38 Deg.

Thanks, everyone! You've given me several ideas to consider. Maybe I am overthinking it, but we won't have access to U.S. products for a long time once we go south of the border and I have a four-year-old to consider, so I definitely want to get this right!

alanymarce

Maybe I am overthinking it, but we won't have access to U.S. products for a long time once we go south of the border and I have a four-year-old to consider, so I definitely want to get this right!
There are lots of good quality products made by companies outside the USA; not only the obvious ones in Europe, Australia, and RSA, but also companies like Montagne in Argentina, Lippi in Chile, and Thundra in Colombia. So, I wouldn't worry about being remote from USA suppliers; if you find you need something you didn't realise you need you'll find options during your travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94