Slee bumper survival of a 6'10" TLC into a 6'8"parking garage situation

pcut

Adventurer
The SO took the TLC into the parking garage at her work for the first time today. We had a 20 minute discussion last night about the height of our rig. I measured it this AM with her standing there and said it would not fit into any structure less than 82" (6'10") based on the OME lifted suspension and the Slee bumper with the high lift jack in place. I get a call at 9:24 ( a voice mail of course) in which I was informed that she "..got into her new parking space OK but that the jack dragged just a little..." and could I please come over to the parking garage and remove the jack so she could leave work at the end of the day. "No problem honey" I say and head over with a crescent wrench to remove the jack. It came off with no problem except that it was bent right at the point where it was anchored to Slee's bumper/tire carrier!!!! Of course we had a few words in the garage (where the clearance is clearly posted as 6'8") and I left, fuming. No problem with the Slee bumper/tire carrier at all- a testament to how well designed and built it is. The question I have for all of you experts is how do I straighten the jack? It's not a sharp bend (thank God the roof wasn't lower!) but any suggestions would be appreciated. Put it on some plywood and whack it with a sledge hammer? Also, any suggestions on how to remove the top 2" of the jack?
Can't live with 'em..........
:beer:

pcut

Adventurer
Yeah- better than cutting off the top 2"! Any Aussie ideas on how to straighten the jack ipso facto?

frgtwn

Adventurer
Replace the jack beam.

Do not attempt to use the jack after a major or minor permanent bend. It is weak there, and life and limb are at stake. This can be an inexpensive lesson. Just order up a new beam from Hi-lift and move on.

Also, having spent years trying to squeeze a cargo van into parking garages in LA, I do not trust posted signs. Also, on a sloped surface, the vertical height does not help you. Your truck and its equipment are unique to you, and they may not fit where the other guy says no problem.

Dale

troy

Adventurer
Christmas is coming up. When your wife asks what you want, suggest a new jack. A little passive aggressive, but I'm not sure I'd rely on a previously bent jack to hold the weight of a vehicle.

Sloan

Explorer
If it's a cast piece, replace it. Any cast metal that has been stressed, dropped, etc. can't be trusted under load anymore. You should do the same with any shackles that take a big hit.

Fallon 40

Observer
"Do not attempt to use the jack after a major or minor permanent bend. It is weak there, and life and limb are at stake. This can be an inexpensive lesson. Just order up a new beam from Hi-lift and move on.

Also, having spent years trying to squeeze a cargo van into parking garages in LA, I do not trust posted signs. Also, on a sloped surface, the vertical height does not help you. Your truck and its equipment are unique to you, and they may not fit where the other guy says no problem.

Dale "

This is the answer ^^^^^^^

There about $30.00 from MFG.
Pay attention when you replace it mine had a tag on it stating it should go on a certain way to the base.

r3run33

Adventurer
not to hijack this tread but I seem to have a problem only on entering my work parking garage while leaving there is no scrap of my surfboard holder (which is foam) any ideas??? I'm thinking the cement settled on that side of the ramp?? both enter and leave is on the same ramp. I plan on going with a hammer and banging on the edge (its metal) on the enter ramp right where I rub.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Approach and Departure Angle: OVERHEAD

We discuss the merits of approach and departure angles for our rigs, but a ceiling (garage) puts this all "over our heads". However, it becomes just as important, as damage can result, and we also can be liable for the garage itself. Not so true of trees and other off-road obstructions.

In a truck like an 80, we can look at the short overhang, and note that it is less likely to drag the ground than say, my former Dodge 15 passenger van, with an extreme overhang. Now, the roof of hardtop trucks are mostly flat to the end of the body, and then, we extend them with expensive carriers, and put stuff up there, like jacks, and ladders, and whatnot. So what we have created is a longer overhang, and NO relief for departure angles. At least underneath, there is a foot or two of space between the ground, and our rig.

Remember, what I am calling the overhead departure angle, is for a downhill situation. The front goes down, the back goes up! Take this same thought to the front, with a surfboard or anything that approaches or extends from the front bumper, and uphill and downhill can have very different results.

The often repeated notion that every change is a compromise is especially true here. If we want to avoid earth obstructions, and raise the vehicle, there is plenty of man-made stuff ready to bite us in the, well, top.

Dale

Sawyer

Adventurer
I just want to add something to the discussion surrounding heights in parking garages. First I am an Architect. I have completed numerous path of travel documents for buildings over the years. Path of travel documents = documents that show accessibility to buildings. In these, we take a look at existing drawings and verify that they are accurate and at some point that requires us to determine the lowest point in a garage that an accessible Van would need to clear. This does NOT necessarily mean the lowest point of a garage. But, unfortunately this is the number used when creating those signs. So, we measure, a sign is hung...yada yada. Joe Schmo comes through and runs new conduit, hvac ducting, etc. There is no guarantee that the new work is installed above that minimum height. Sometimes, existing steel or other work may require to drop new work below height. This may or may not be communicated to the Building. So, this lower height is never discovered until the existing path of travel documents need to be redone. So, make sure to build in a little extra room when determining if your roof will clear. And..... Dont always believe the sign posted... Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94