SLC Area Transit 4x4s

Theshwed

Hi All - I am starting to get some wanderlust and thinking of swapping our E350 Quigley for a new Transit 4x4. We have come to realize that 99.5% of our van time is spent on highways, ski resort shuttling, or BLM desert roads here in Utah. The capability (and lack of comfort) of the E350 just isn't cutting it for us anymore.

Is there anyone local to Salt Lake or Park City that would be willing to take me for a drive in their 4x4 transit. I would like to get a feel of the ride quality. Six packs / drink of your choice, or burgers on me.

Thanks,
Paul

Theshwed

Why not just wait a few months for the new AWD 2020 transit?
It's an option. I tend to move at a snails pace so I am sure it will make the list.

As far as stocking Quigley dealers... I haven't been able to find much in Utah that stays on the lot long enough!

grampswrx

Observer
Probably doesn't like the fact that it rides like a truck: stiff, tippy, slow etc. I have an E350 and a transit and the transit rides WAY better on the road/highway. No comparison. Drive the transit with one hand at 80 mph in the fast lane whereas the econoline must be driven at 70 in the slow lane with much attention paid.

Theshwed

Yep, what grampswrx said...

I dont hate it. But I am getting to the point where, for most of our travels, its capabilities just arent necessary. I might as well look into options that will make the drive time more pleasant and safe. The e350 looks ************ and can get nearly anywhere i want it to go. Its thirsty, tends to wallow down the highway even with the RIP kit, has tons of wind noise, doesnt stop, it does go good though!, and at 17 years old is starting to take as much time in TLC as travel time. And probably the biggest part, i am just starting to want something new. Im not sold completely on the idea. I am just interested in seeing whats out there. Its been a few years since ive gotten to drive a 4wd transit or 4wd sprinter. The AWD option is in play too... it will just depend on timing, cost, and what Ford really puts on the street here.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Had a top of the line transit as a shuttle rig. less then 50 K on it, endless problems. even with the " bigger" motor it was still fairly gutless. But.... it was smooth, and made little fuss or noise going down the road. We were endlessly tracking down electrical gremlins on it. the whole inside felt sorta cheap and plasticly. steering and handling were decent considering the fact it was a high top. I want to say it was a 16? replaced it with an older less decked out sprinter with more miles that blows that thing out of the water. I have never driven an more intentionally designed rig than the MB sprinter. The most comfortable drivers seat and most ergonomic drivers position of anything I have ever driven. A brilliant powerband, and decent return on MPG even at 75 MPH out west. The old E350's are ugly thirsty beastly machines, but I will say this. I doubt anywhere near as many of the transits will be on the road as the number of 20 year old 350's.

86scotty

Cynic
Had a top of the line transit as a shuttle rig. less then 50 K on it, endless problems. even with the " bigger" motor it was still fairly gutless. I doubt anywhere near as many of the transits will be on the road as the number of 20 year old 350's.

"Bigger" motor was gutless? You are aware that the 3.7 (literally bigger) is the much less powerful Transit engine? The 3.5l Ecoboost is the much more powerful one and if you think it's gutless then you might be very lonely on this earth. It's a damn rocketship for a big van.

OP, I recommend you talk to Crewvanman (handle on the Ford Transit USA Forum) @ MattFord (name of dealership he works for), and ask him about the AWD availability. He specializes in these and has sold lots and lots of them to fans on and off that forum.

As for the tires, 245/75-16's on better looking wheels go a LONG way on the Transit. You can't quite see them in my sig to the left but they are easy to find online. Big difference in every way.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
gutless on 12 percent grades when home base is around 5,000 feet. Or when a return from the airport means 100 miles from the city up into the mountains on winding two lanes the whole way. Where the sprinter and former e350's never faltered in these settings the transit was left lacking. Perhaps we were asking too much of it. Perhaps it was more of a gearing problem, who knows. With 12 people in it it was rather lackluster and tended to overheat on the slow speed dirt grades we have out here despite being well with in the published limits and driven carefully. Toss an ultralight 4x8 enclosed trailer on it for hauling dry bags and it was darn near useless. Great on the highway, if it was flat, and I was always impressed by how little the wind moved it about. Oh and the sheer number of cupholders was awesome. Other than that the Sprinter beats it by miles in every way from handling to performance and comfort. Both lightly used with the sprinter being a year or two older but with similar miles they were close in price if I recall properly. Our Transit was not the ecoboost just for context. Either way, just my prospective. We do a lot of miles and work them hard, but dont abuse them. IN short, we find out really fast if something is going to work for us or not. The transit didnt for commercial purposes and not from lack of trying to have these problems resolved.

86scotty

Cynic
@cdthiker, I think you'd have had better luck with the Ecoboost but I'm not questioning your experience. It is what it is. The Ecoboost pretty much puts out V10 power and numbers. I did have a problem with mine climbing North out of Phoenix in the heat of the summer. It kicked an overheat fault code but went we cycled the ignition it went away. Happened two or three times on that trip. I think it was gasoline octane related. But, I loaded it down with up to 4k in expedite cargo and cruised all over the rest of the nation getting 16 mpg at 80 with a big smile on my face for 120,000 miles and had no other problems.

Anyway, all of this is good info for the OP I suppose.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
EcoBoost for sure would have been a better option. The inside tech was wicked nice too. The Sprinter is fairly spartan. Either way hopefully the OP finds what he is looking for. I am keeping my eye out on the AWD transit coming out. 4x4 would be nice, but hard to justify for be with already owing a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles