Skool me on Skottles

B

BPD53

ab1985

Explorer
That's twice now you kinda picked at those less fortunate than yourself. Bet you wouldn't poke fun of my financial situation to my face.

You should come to my WV Spring trip. It would be the perfect chance for you to hang out with the lower class members of Expo. We've had all our shots and our lice will be gone soon.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/wv-trip-may-10th-13th-2018.191473/
Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for the invite. It's pretty close to GSMTR so not sure I could swing it. We all spend money on stuff that most folks would consider a waste. My point is nothing more than to each their own. Stating that something is overpriced because it doesn't fit within your budget is kind of silly.

perterra

Adventurer
Skottles are cool and all, but Mexicans been discada cooking down here for 40 years. It aint that new.

You can pick up a Eastman Big Kahuna burner and a 24" disc for $175 and be ready to roll, or buy the Skottle for $275. Skottle will run on the little 1# propane jug, but it's pretty limited in BTU's next to the Big Kahuna

rltilley

I recently picked up a Skottle after wanting one for years. We've used it every weekend since and I'm happy with the purchase. When camping we tend to cook the same thing each trip. The Skottle will get us out of that rut. $275 is fairly expensive but it's well made, packs down to a size that is easy to fit in our van and will last us a lifetime more than likely. I like it enough that I bought one forum member Scott was making and offering for sale. That one will be for home use and hooked up to a 20 gallon propane tank.

My typical cookset while camping has an 10" fry pan. The 18" skottle has way more room to cook on and is more stable than a large fry pan on my current stove would be.

My van has a 46 gallon tank and would cost $160 to fill it up at today's gas prices here. So the Skottle costs less than 2 fill ups. I ride a bicycle to commute to work and do errands so the money I save on gas there pays for other stuff that is more useful to me.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
I've got a plow disc sitting here with the intent to weld up the mounting hole on it then sand it clean and season. Should work fine.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Down here we call them MexiWok's. In college the PanAmerican Club guys would cook beef heart on one every Sunday after the pickup soccer game.

While I think they are great, the Skottle in particular is insanely overpriced.

roving1

They seem interesting for a large a group not so good and expensive for 1-2 people.

They also seem like they would take a crap load of fuel to use in cold weather.

The space saving also goes out the window if you want to boil things and make rice etc. Then you still have to bring pots etc.

rltilley

They seem interesting for a large a group not so good and expensive for 1-2 people.

They also seem like they would take a crap load of fuel to use in cold weather.

The space saving also goes out the window if you want to boil things and make rice etc. Then you still have to bring pots etc.
We use ours typically for just my wife and I and it is a good size for that. The 18" disc can be a bit small for larger groups depending on what you're cooking.

I live in SoCal so I don't get into the real cold very often. I find the skottle uses very little fuel and I have yet to go through more than one 1 lb propane bottle on weekend trips. Food cooks quickly so the time you are using it is less than other stoves. I do boil water in it if anything sticks which increases the fuel used.

I have a van and do carry a standard stove along with a pot and fry pan. I also carry a Jetboil for coffee. The stove and Jetboil take up very little room since my stove nestles into the pot and pan and the Jetboil is small. I haven't figured out the best way to pack the skottle yet.

It is an expensive item but we find it is actually fun to use and it has expanded what we bring to eat while camping. My wife loves it so that helps to get her to enjoy camping a bit more as well.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

garwhal

Observer
When we lived in South Africa, I found myself the owner of a Skottlebraai. We loved our. I brought it back with us but had a dickens of time finding a way to make the balance connection convert over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Broko

Being from South Africa, I grew up with skottles 30 years ago. They are awesome for camping, ball games, tail gateing etc. We used them mostly for breakfast and what’s so good about them was the entire thing could pack up into a handy carry bag.

The center gets nice and hot to fry stuff in while the outsides keep already cooked food warm. We would cook bacon, fried tomato, eggs and toast for 2-4 people.

As to price, it is what it is. I believe they are exclusive to a Cadak and imported. The new version is way better than the ones I grew up with. Same cooking surface, but huge improvement on the construction of the unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broko

I have had one since before they had a name. A giant actual plow disc with handles welded onto it. But I like seeing them get more popular. They are awesome. You can use it as a fire pan in areas where you can’t have a ground fire , (Maze District Canyonlands) or certain river trips, for example. They are indestructible. They hold heat for a long time and once you season them well they become family heirlooms. You can cook burgers for an entire soccer team on it or make breakfast for a fire crew all at once. All you need to clean it is water and then a bit of oil to season. Plus you could, in a pinch probably use it as a ground anchor buried to winch yourself out or use it as a Capt America shield and save the world with it. You can hate on cooking discs all you want but you can’t borrow mine! . There is another company called www.southwestdisc.com out there too. They make a 24” one and one with a 3” side rim. Check em out. Whatever you buy, get a lid and a stand too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those south west disc ones look even better than my cadac !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CLM

I have the 24” Southwest disk with lip and lid. Absolutely love it! Made my own campfire stand and also have a propane burner so I can cook either way. Tried a fish fry burner first and it was too much of a hot spot in one area. So the one I bought has two rings/zones for the fire.
4A428A79-CE15-4334-A0D9-9ED7BCD8BBB2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles