Skool me on Skottles

CLM

The lid comes in real handy for popcorn, to concentrate heat for certain cooks and to keep the tree blooms out of your food.

VicMackey

Adventurer
I have the 24” Southwest disk with lip and lid. Absolutely love it! Made my own campfire stand and also have a propane burner so I can cook either way. Tried a fish fry burner first and it was too much of a hot spot in one area. So the one I bought has two rings/zones for the fire.
View attachment 451776
I have one of those at home. Only we call it a garbage can lid.

J/K :p I like your design that can go directly in the firepit.

Reactions: CLM

CLM

Here’s my actual stand, that was just what we rigged up on that trip. It’s just a ring from an old propane holder and some square stock I had laying around. 1C2F1E2A-0480-48FB-8C97-567686F06631.png

killborn

Just another South African now in the USA and Canada and offering some opinions on the beloved Skottel. As a kid in SA, going camping or to the beach or even at home, we always used the cadac skottel. It was a staple in everyones home. Those original skottels from back in the day were awesome, easy to use, would hook up directly to the propane tank (see image) and off you go. About 10 years ago I moved to Texas and was super thrilled to hear that someone had started Cadac USA and started selling the newer versions in camping stores across the USA and Canada. I went through 2 of the Carrichefs and multiple parts replaced in about 4 years. The burners sucked, wind on the burner was a huge issue and in general just wasn't made to last. I ditched my last one a couple years back and have since been using the tembo tusk version. This thing is a tank and it will last me forever. Other than maybe replacing the burner someday, I don't think I could ever screw this thing up enough to have to replace it. I cook just about all my camp meals in it, if not on the fire and is my favorite piece of kit by far other than my South African Folding cooking grate.
I live by the gear mantra of "Buy once cry once" Pay a little extra, invest in a decent version and know it will last. Don't waste your money on the USA branded Cadac versions. They just aren't what they used to be.

cad-skottel-braai-on-cylinder-skottel-low-res-for-ppt.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles