Skinniest 265/75's?

7wt

Expedition Leader
It seems not all tire sizes are nominal and my much dated 265/75's Duratracs are in need of replacement. They have always seemed to be some of the wider tires in that size. I am looking for a skinnier tire in that size, something with a little less aggression as well. I have been considering the Cooper AT3 but am open for more suggestions. Any ideas? So who makes the skinniest looking 265/75's?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Are you talking about sidewall bulge (section width) or something else that gives the impression of greater width? They should all have a tread width of 265 mm. You might consider a narrower tire such as a 255/80 or even a 235/85, which is about an inch narrower and almost exactly the same diameter as your current tires.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Are you talking about sidewall bulge (section width) or something else that gives the impression of greater width?

For this you could either inflate a little more so that the tire doesn't splat out as much, or go with a slightly wider wheel. But really, to say a "skinnier" 265 means a 255 or 245, section width is section width no matter what.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I think he is talking how some manufacturers run narrow and some wide. You can have 5 brands of the same size and get 5 different mesurments.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Nitto At 265/75 r18 were much taller and skinnier than expected. I'd imagine that their Trail Grapplers might be similar, if they are even in that size.
-
The #'s on the sidewall are almost allways BS. You don't know 'till you see them in person and can actually measure them. Internet pics help a lot.
-
I agree that the GY DT's seemed wide. Even though their tread is the right width, their sidewall is rounded and bulges out a bit. Gives a real aggressive look though.

hoser

Explorer
Are you talking about sidewall bulge (section width) or something else that gives the impression of greater width? They should all have a tread width of 265 mm.
265 is supposed to be the section width measurement. Some manufactures give the tread width measurement but not many. The section width measurement does change slightly with changes in rim width.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I think he is talking how some manufacturers run narrow and some wide. You can have 5 brands of the same size and get 5 different mesurments.

Thanks for getting it. It seems to have scooted right over the heads of a few. As far as the 235's went, that was a good five years ago for me. They were OK when new but I have gotten a little soft in my old age and decided load range E's and light trucks aren't good bed fellows.

The Nitto At 265/75 r18 were much taller and skinnier than expected. I'd imagine that their Trail Grapplers might be similar, if they are even in that size.
-
The #'s on the sidewall are almost allways BS. You don't know 'till you see them in person and can actually measure them. Internet pics help a lot.
-
I agree that the GY DT's seemed wide. Even though their tread is the right width, their sidewall is rounded and bulges out a bit. Gives a real aggressive look though.

I'll look into the Nittos, not a bad suggestion. I am spending a lot more time on the highway the last year or two than I do offroad and the aggression of the DT's is not only cutting into my pocket book, the singing they make at 3am on the way back from the striper coast after fishing the tide is damn near putting me to sleep. That droning is for the birds. That being said, I still need something that can get me through in the sand the way my DT's and BFG AT's did. Any word on the General AT's?

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
You never said what rig they were going on, so don't know if it's heavy or light. That said, I wouldn't go skinny for sand, except maybe the front of a sand rail.

Erik N

Adventurer
As far as the 235's went, that was a good five years ago for me. They were OK when new but I have gotten a little soft in my old age and decided load range E's and light trucks aren't good bed fellows.

Exactly the reason you SHOULD get load range E's my friend. Dealing with flat tires sucks. I don't care who you are... it still sucks.

1stDeuce

Explorer
General AT's run wide. Mud flavors are normally a little narrower in the tread for a given size. The cooper AT3's seem a little narrow in some sizes, but I'm not sure about 265. I don't recall what you wrote about rims, but running them on a 7" rim rather than an 8" will pull out some "section width" and make them appear skinnier.

I can also tell you that a 235/85 Cooper ST Maxx is a very wide 235... If I was going to give it a class, I would have called it a 255/80R16, which is more what you're asking for. But it is an E tire, and a heavy one at that, so probably out for you.

Look for a tire that doesn't have such a square shoulder profile. The BFG AT, General AT, and lots of others have a very square shoulder, which will make for a wider tread. The cooper AT3's are softer, which usually means a little narrower.
Happy shopping!

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles