skid plates...

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
So we have to build our own plates, hire a fabricator, or order Asfir, Bushkinz, or similar?

I'm cruising through the Pajero club of Victoria forum and I found this for the Gen 3:

10372512_1464342087170913_6442895513129081246_n.jpg

Their new intercooler (radiator) plate looks like this:
12376188_1677642742507512_5914683156659056853_n.jpg

I'm checking into shipping possibilities to the US, these are built by a member of the Pajero club Victoria, and they seem to be highly regarded and a good value, 3MM steel, laser cut, includes hardware. Anybody here familiar?
http://www.boosbashplates.com.au/

offthepath

Adventurer
Looks good. I bet shipping would be a lot though. I wish there were some US options.

Skid plates and rock sliders is the project for next weekend...!

normal_dave

So the bash plate company got back with me...

2-plate set (radiator and oil pan) delivered to US is $ 350 AUD (about $ 260 USD)

3-plate set (radiator, oil pan, and transmission) delivered to US is $ 450 AUD (about $ 334 USD)

That doesn't sound terrible based on the others I've seen, might could get some made here for less, but these are a proven, bolt-on design, and includes all the hardware.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Don't have a dog in this fight, but that seems much cheaper than any other option out there. (except maybe DIY).
Makes me want to get a 3rd gen. :coffeedrink:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Biggest problem isn't the skids. It's the mounts for the skids. Really better not to use factory mounting points. They are weak. I had to reinforce all of mine. That crossmember is weak too (seriously bent it).

I guess most people just do it for looks as they rarely use the truck. :)

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Normal_Dave - Did you ever dig into these further? Zerodrift's build is making me get impatient and my stock bash guards are knackered. My old truck needs to sell so I have money for this but I like to think ahead when I can.

The ones from Bushskinz are over $100 more than these, they have a bit thicker steel, nicer coatings but still. I was considering checking into my local laser cutting shop but pre-tested bolt in replacement is way simpler and I'm pretty sure I won't save a ton by getting them cut locally.

normal_dave

I haven't ordered yet, but they are on my list.

Small family business in Australia makes them, function over beauty. I usually am rooting for the small business folks, so I'll stick with them when the time comes. The price they quoted was delivered to my door here in the good ol' USA mate...

Since they primarily sell in Australia, and don't handle credit cards, they indicated an electronic bank transfer (wire) was preferred. I asked about a small group buy, hoping to spread the freight cost out over a few sets, I think I scared them thinking a "few" might be a "few dozen" or a "few hundred". At the time I emailed with them, they had not sold a set in the USA, (and didn't want to tackle the world, just their little part of it). I had decided I'd be the first for bragging rights, but other maintenance items are on top of my list, so one of you gets to go first!

Anyway, they have a loyal following over there, good reviews on their site and Facebook pages and seem like good folks to work with, so I'm still in.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well i have a Gen 3 meow, shopping for a CNC Machine hopefully this winter. Could hook it up if you guys are serious. Keep in mind though we don't F@#$ around with armor, we started using AR400 steel as it is super bash resistant and doesn't crack as easily as AR500 in the thinner range. Could supply some cool mounts for those of you getting in deep offroad.

BOPOH

Explorer
Congrats on gen3! good news about armor, although i've been running mine without all this time(no rocks in ohio) :)

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Well i have a Gen 3 meow, shopping for a CNC Machine hopefully this winter. Could hook it up if you guys are serious. Keep in mind though we don't F@#$ around with armor, we started using AR400 steel as it is super bash resistant and doesn't crack as easily as AR500 in the thinner range. Could supply some cool mounts for those of you getting in deep offroad.

I for one would be very interested to see what you come up with, Toasty, especially regarding the upgraded mounts. Australia is a looonnnnggg ($$$$) way from the East Coast. Arizona is a little bit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles