Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
OK Victron guys, DVCC for dummies? Seems worthwhile, but less so for lead batteries. Worth setting up? Seems like shared voltage and temp would be good.

Been trucking usage now for awhile. With the dehumidifier running, temps ~25-30 overnight with the heat set to 40, I burn .24Kwh an hour ish over night, when plugged in.

Justin Cook

OK Victron guys, DVCC for dummies? Seems worthwhile, but less so for lead batteries. Worth setting up? Seems like shared voltage and temp would be good.

Been trucking usage now for awhile. With the dehumidifier running, temps ~25-30 overnight with the heat set to 40, I burn .24Kwh an hour ish over night, when plugged in.
Dang... I've got to comb back to see what Victron kit you have to see if DVCC will accomplish anything for you. As a general rule, we don't advise enabling it when using Pb batteries, but there are exceptions depending on your exact equipment kit.

If you have anything running a VE.Smart Network (BMV-712 to MPPTs for instance, or Smart BatterySense to MPPTs) then you should definitely not enable DVCC because you'll trigger an Error 68 "Network Misconfigured" alarm in the CCGX/ other GX device because your MPPT can only accept data from one outside source. So, if it's getting temp and voltage data from a Smart Battery Sense over VE.Smart Network and you turn on DVCC, suddenly it's receiving external information from both your VE.Smart Network and the CCGX via DVCC, and it gets confused and the CCGX starts beeping horribly and won't stop until you either disable the VE.Smart Network or DVCC, one of the two.

...there is a fix in the works for that issue that will effectively prioritize VE.Bus and VE.Direct network commands over VE.Smart network commands without requiring any settings changes from the end-user, but until that's in place, the basic rule of thumb is: if you have a VE.Smart Network in place, do not enable DVCC.
If you don't have VE.Smart Networking in place, there's no particular harm in enabling it and you might get slightly better performance out of some things -again, depending on your exact kit. Here's the DVCC-specific section from the Victron documentation that kinda covers the basics of what it can do.

java

Expedition Leader
Dang... I've got to comb back to see what Victron kit you have to see if DVCC will accomplish anything for you. As a general rule, we don't advise enabling it when using Pb batteries, but there are exceptions depending on your exact equipment kit.

If you have anything running a VE.Smart Network (BMV-712 to MPPTs for instance, or Smart BatterySense to MPPTs) then you should definitely not enable DVCC because you'll trigger an Error 68 "Network Misconfigured" alarm in the CCGX/ other GX device because your MPPT can only accept data from one outside source. So, if it's getting temp and voltage data from a Smart Battery Sense over VE.Smart Network and you turn on DVCC, suddenly it's receiving external information from both your VE.Smart Network and the CCGX via DVCC, and it gets confused and the CCGX starts beeping horribly and won't stop until you either disable the VE.Smart Network or DVCC, one of the two.

...there is a fix in the works for that issue that will effectively prioritize VE.Bus and VE.Direct network commands over VE.Smart network commands without requiring any settings changes from the end-user, but until that's in place, the basic rule of thumb is: if you have a VE.Smart Network in place, do not enable DVCC.
If you don't have VE.Smart Networking in place, there's no particular harm in enabling it and you might get slightly better performance out of some things -again, depending on your exact kit. Here's the DVCC-specific section from the Victron documentation that kinda covers the basics of what it can do.
Thanks for the Input!

Everything I have is VE.Direct other than the Quattro.

I think it may help with charge profiles from temp and whatnot. I have a mppt, bmv, Quattro, and color control.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Justin Cook

Thanks for the Input!

Everything I have is VE.Direct other than the Quattro.

I think it may help with charge profiles from temp and whatnot. I have a mppt, bmv, Quattro, and color control.

Yeah as long as you're not using the BMV (712 only) to create a VE.Smart Network that your MPPT is receiving data from, then you should be good to go :)

Justin Cook

Yep, running a bmv 710

Errr... 'ang on, there's no -710... there's a -700, a -700H, a -702, and a -712. The -712 is the only one capable of being a source unit for a VE.Smart Network, which is what will get you into trouble if you enable DVCC... but since you still have to very specifically go into the -712's settings and set up the network (it's off by default), no matter what you should be fine. If you enable DVCC and your CCGX starts screaming at you and throwing an Error 68, though, now you know what to look for to get it to stop :).

java

Expedition Leader
Errr... 'ang on, there's no -710... there's a -700, a -700H, a -702, and a -712. The -712 is the only one capable of being a source unit for a VE.Smart Network, which is what will get you into trouble if you enable DVCC... but since you still have to very specifically go into the -712's settings and set up the network (it's off by default), no matter what you should be fine. If you enable DVCC and your CCGX starts screaming at you and throwing an Error 68, though, now you know what to look for to get it to stop :).

Ahhh durrr its the 700.....

But batteries worked well for another night. Still no idea whats up....

49580840471_cbb5ea5cdb_b.jpg

49580341893_5f8caf07da_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Rolled in late Friday night, nuking snow! Ending up with 7-8" and it kept snowing all day.

49611106252_94591963e0_b.jpg

49610850276_05e2c91423_b.jpg

Snow was amazing. We skied. A lot.

49610437388_3ebc0bfa40_b.jpg

Fun little cornice to drop off of.
49610850146_59e1a7e849_b.jpg

Saturday was gorgeous weather, so we skied then too.
49610849416_d582f9b1e8_b.jpg

And I learned more new things..... With the truck now charging at higher voltages for the cold temps, the maxfans now turn off. They have a high voltage cutout..... I will need a resistor or some sort of DC-DC voltage regulator.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Victron makes a dc-dc regulator that's pretty nice. There are also some pretty cheap dc-dc units you can use if you just need a couple low power devices. I have found its hit or miss. Most items run fine, even at 15.5-16V, but some will have trouble at 15V.

The good news is your batteries will thank you!

java

Expedition Leader
Victron makes a dc-dc regulator that's pretty nice. There are also some pretty cheap dc-dc units you can use if you just need a couple low power devices. I have found its hit or miss. Most items run fine, even at 15.5-16V, but some will have trouble at 15V.

The good news is your batteries will thank you!

Yeah just need it for the fans. Apparently they have high voltage at 13.6 ish. Cheapie will work fine, just need to find something tiny I can fit in the fan trim.

What app were you using for your ski stats?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

It's Ski Tracks, simple and cheap, and doesn't eat batteries.

java

Expedition Leader
Well it seems that the Corona virus has killed the rest of the ski season.

But we did get two more days in in Idaho.

Spent Friday night social distancing ourselves..... this is one of our normal climbing spots, weird to see it in snow.

49671435586_0b2110624b_b.jpg

Heading East on Saturday, it was windy, windy enough to be spinning the tractor trailers around and shoving them in the ditch. We passed 8 that were aiming the wrong way and jacknifed. I am SO happy with our trucks performance, I could tell it was windy, but it wasn't shoving us around at all. I think the articulation just killed the semis. It was super icy too. Long stretch of 35 in a 70 zone....

49672047148_4c3ab17400_b.jpg

49672872462_0bf874b75c_b.jpg

49672047143_4d442e674c_b.jpg

But we made it over to Sandpoint ID just fine.

It was certainly beautiful, but 9 degrees, and REALLY windy.

49670892458_5e69289c29_b.jpg

49671432811_e0240c14a1_b.jpg

49671719207_de75007e0f_b.jpg

Ski in ski out lodging!

]
49671718222_fa4907e708_b.jpg

And overall it was a really good year. We got a ton of great snow days. Ignore the speed since I forgot to turn the tracker off one day..... But thats a good year! The speed from last year is my personal best though :D

49670903303_ccb5c5ae11_b.jpg

ITTOG

That is a lot of skiing. Last week I was in Breckenridge. We skied one day with my wife on greens and then two days with my kids on everything the mountain can offer. Our elevation each day was approximately 12,000' (with wife), 45,000', and 40,000'. So for three days we did pretty good.

java

Expedition Leader
That is a lot of skiing. Last week I was in Breckenridge. We skied one day with my wife on greens and then two days with my kids on everything the mountain can offer. Our elevation each day was approximately 12,000' (with wife), 45,000', and 40,000'. So for three days we did pretty good.

Yeah 40k days are a rarity for sure! I think I have only done 40 twice. Not enough fall around here it seems.

ITTOG

Yeah 40k days are a rarity for sure! I think I have only done 40 twice. Not enough fall around here it seems.
When you only get to ski once per year you are the first one on the mountain and the last one off. The only break we took was lunch.

Our last two runs were during a snowstorm with only 50 feet of visibility. That makes the runs a lot harder.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles