Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Alloy

Warranty Terms & Conditions:

For full Terms & Conditions of Sale including Warranty & Returns policy see Terms.

Additional Conditions For Sherpa 4x4 Winches:
  • Your Sherpa 4x4 Winch must be serviced every 12 Months by a suitably qualified professional.
  • A copy of service receipts must be presented for a warranty claim.
  • The winch should be used with a minimum 650 Cold Cranking Amps battery
  • The winch MUST have at least 1 complete layer of cable/rope on the drum at all times, the cable has a red mark which identifies the minimum that must remain on the drum.
  • The winch MUST be mounted to a suitable winch compatible bull bar or winch cradle only.
  • The winch MUST be used as per the instruction manual.
  • Do Not use the winch for industrial or commercial applications
  • Do Not hook the winch cable / rope onto itself
  • Do Not exceed the pulling limits of the winch
  • Do Not shock load the winch
  • Do Not overwork the winch. The drives, like on all winches, have a duty cycl

java

Expedition Leader
Warranty Terms & Conditions:

For full Terms & Conditions of Sale including Warranty & Returns policy see Terms.

Additional Conditions For Sherpa 4x4 Winches:
  • Your Sherpa 4x4 Winch must be serviced every 12 Months by a suitably qualified professional.
  • A copy of service receipts must be presented for a warranty claim.
  • The winch should be used with a minimum 650 Cold Cranking Amps battery
  • The winch MUST have at least 1 complete layer of cable/rope on the drum at all times, the cable has a red mark which identifies the minimum that must remain on the drum.
  • The winch MUST be mounted to a suitable winch compatible bull bar or winch cradle only.
  • The winch MUST be used as per the instruction manual.
  • Do Not use the winch for industrial or commercial applications
  • Do Not hook the winch cable / rope onto itself
  • Do Not exceed the pulling limits of the winch
  • Do Not shock load the winch
  • Do Not overwork the winch. The drives, like on all winches, have a duty cycl

Interesting..... Sounds like an easy out.... Too bad, as I am interested in one, but certainly not going to pull it out of the bumper and have it serviced yearly.

motorman

i read someplace where you were considering a radiant floor loop of hot water
what was the reason you declined this path?
im considering elgena system that total composites packages.

java

Expedition Leader
i read someplace where you were considering a radiant floor loop of hot water
what was the reason you declined this path?
im considering elgena system that total composites packages.

I had not really considered it, but doing it again I certainly would! Warm floors would be so nice in the winter.

It seemed like a more complicated system when I was designing things, and I just kind of put it away. A shared heat loop with the engine, to use for heat while driving, and engine pre heating would be a nice benefit also, but does add a bit more complexity.

I was not familiar with the Elgena system, I am not sure a 12v on demand type heater would do it. I would look into the webasto/espar type water heaters if it were me.

java

Expedition Leader
Well I have been noodling all week, I am leaning towards no winch in the front. I think if I need one, its going to be needed going backwards. Last chance for votes :D

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
fair enough, it would have to be well built as far as the carrier and receiver mounts. Probably a better idea to go fixed.

we have had some class IV, V stingers used to haul some pretty heavy critters and equipment. But even at that its something like 15k, rated which would be close to 1/2 or so of breaking strength- 25-30k.

and the Pintle hitches used by our big rigs, but those are direct to the frame.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It wouldn't be too hard to fab up a bolt/weld on pin type receiver mount for a 16klb winch. Alternatively you could rig a cradle that will accept two short lines to your frame rail recovery points. With a short jumper for electric power, you could attach the winch front/rear, or even on one side.

java

Expedition Leader
fair enough, it would have to be well built as far as the carrier and receiver mounts. Probably a better idea to go fixed.

we have had some class IV, V stingers used to haul some pretty heavy critters and equipment. But even at that its something like 15k, rated which would be close to 1/2 or so of breaking strength- 25-30k.

and the Pintle hitches used by our big rigs, but those are direct to the frame.

Yes If I was to do a hitch style I would do a double receiver.

It wouldn't be too hard to fab up a bolt/weld on pin type receiver mount for a 16klb winch. Alternatively you could rig a cradle that will accept two short lines to your frame rail recovery points. With a short jumper for electric power, you could attach the winch front/rear, or even on one side.

Could do a cradle, but that seems like a lot of additional rigging/failure points....

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have a portable Warn 9,000 lb. winch that is setup for the front right now, but it will be replaced with a new Warn 12,000 lb. ZEON Platinum 12-Sw /wireless controller, and will be mounted in the Warn stainless steel transformer bumper mount. One that is done, the portable will be designated for the rear bumper.

0000183_zeon-12-s-platinum-winch.jpg

HPIM1438.JPG

Alloy

Few years ago I fabbed a mount for a 20K winch. I copied the bolting sytem/locations used for a quick disconnect snow plow.

java

Expedition Leader
Few years ago I fabbed a mount for a 20K winch. I copied the bolting sytem/locations used for a quick disconnect snow plow.
Very interesting idea! But I have a bumper getting bolted to the frame horns.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles