Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That's what frames on long wheelbase heavy vehicles tend to do.

You could always drive slower?

java

Expedition Leader
That's what frames on long wheelbase heavy vehicles tend to do.

You could always drive slower?
Yeah I know, just doesn't feel right.

I try to stay at 65 or less... But it flexes at low speeds too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
I did get a little project that I have put off forever done. As with anything deadlines seem to get things done. Picking up the new bumper this weekend and need something to strap it on to. So the second tow point is on the list.

Exact repeat of the pass side. Take everything apart.
48954165422_83b13956ae_b.jpg

Hold it in place with two of the bolt bolts. This just lines everything up. I then reamed the holes an 1/8" larger. I wanted to do it in place so there was minimum slop in the bores.
48957447728_ed89ef17d0_b.jpg

Fun spot to drill through 1 1/2" of steel.... Add proper grade 8's and torque. I am debating adding another bolt..... The shear on those is about 14k each. With puts me right about 4x GVW. I think I want a little more. One 3/4" down the center might happen....
48957999136_84a8fd7b9c_b.jpg

While I was there, I used one of the many Helwig coozies from the NWOR to wrap the heater fuel pump in. I dont know that it will do much, but I have wanted to try.
48958184192_3671f0a333_b.jpg

48957447103_aecb9c0418_b.jpg

Buttoned back up. Should make strapping a front bumper to the back bumper much easier :D
48957998476_86223d05f2_b.jpg

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Adding a full loop of hose on the outlet/inlet side can also reduce noise transmission. I did see one user who put the whole fuel pump into a bag filled with plastic/ceramic beads (tire balancing ones maybe?). It supposedly helped quite a bit.

Part of the espar upgrades to the D2/D4 lineup was also an improved blower motor (brushless ultra long life), canbus communications for everything, and a built in altitude sensor for the heaters ECU.

java

Expedition Leader
Adding a full loop of hose on the outlet/inlet side can also reduce noise transmission. I did see one user who put the whole fuel pump into a bag filled with plastic beads (tire balancing ones maybe?). It supposedly helped quite a bit.
Yeah I can see a bit of rubber helping. It doesn't really bother me much honestly, I can hear it when I'm sleeping but it just means it's gonna get warm

I think I saw the coozie thing on a sailboat forum and I was right there. The quick fist helped immensely with the noise transfer to the truck. The original mount was LOUD.

java

Expedition Leader
Its not ghetto if it works?

48976644681_e5925f7f73_b.jpg

Powdercoat is gone, and it took a good whack at some point, buts its still pretty straight and the price was right. 9 hours of driving later (4.5 with the bumper) and it didn't fall off :D

48976088638_b1defdda89_b.jpg

Now do I drop it off and have it blasted or do it myself with a grinder?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I'd have it blasted. There are a lot of little spaces you won't be able to get to with a grinder. Your back will thank you and you'll be about two days ahead of schedule.

Nice score though, BTW! Do you have any idea how much it weighs?

java

Expedition Leader
I'd have it blasted. There are a lot of little spaces you won't be able to get to with a grinder. Your back will thank you and you'll be about two days ahead of schedule.

Nice score though, BTW! Do you have any idea how much it weighs?
Yeah, I need to get a quote.....

150-75ish lbs probably. Two of us didn't have any trouble picking it up and carrying it. Not that I would want to carry it very far....

Alloy

Yeah, I need to get a quote.....

150-75ish lbs probably. Two of us didn't have any trouble picking it up and carrying it. Not that I would want to carry it very far....

Do any repairs or mods before sanblasting otherwise the steel will blush which will affect the adhesion of the new coating.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I assume you are going to put a winch on it, so just to let you know Chris at U-Joint Off Road is getting rid of some very nice black fairleads for just $35.00. I bought one this morning for my F250.

java

Expedition Leader
Well another great PNW weekend done. Drove a few different road Friday night, and settle in here so we had enough phne service to stream the football game. Sometimes its nice :D No other people, no cars, will put it on the quick stop with service camp list.

49050235027_a782e61926_b.jpg

Did a pretty good hike, almost 10 miles. Dodging some rain, but the weather held out pretty well. Snow wall behind the ladies..... Need to climb it next summer.
49049525358_fb07f0143d_b.jpg

49049523128_76a251a730_b.jpg

Back to out normal spot for this area for Saturday evening. Why people have to move fire pits I don't know.... But it got moved. Been coming here for 16 years now! Just a great night in the woods.

49050242457_6f07c8e40a_b.jpg

49049526288_4ed5a2c531_b.jpg

49050029136_1da7d526dc_b.jpg

Bumper is at the powder coaters. Trying to find a winch to throw in it before it goes on..... May just do it later, but I hate to have to take it back off to get one in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94