Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Did you cut out just enough to clear your tires or does the Bushwacker kit have a specific amount to cut out? I'm going to have to do the same to fit the MPT 81's on my truck. I tooka 41" tall old semi tire and cut it in half and put a 2X3 across the bottom to make a jig to see what a 41" tire would look like in my fender.
They have a specific amount, 3" at the bottom. Edge, 1.25" at the second hole, going to nothing 3.5" up. From the third hole.

I think your going to need more trimming :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
Much wider.

Now like I said, not sure I am sold, maybe its the black, or the size, but it makes the wheels look smaller (larger opening?) and the wheels are pretty tucked inside the fender now. (I like flush....) But being wider they may keep my mirrors cleaner which could be nice.

Ran Air lines for the front bags into the cab, flex sheathing used, and fuel tubing slipped over where it passes thru sheetmetal.

47636654082_7dd1a71f29_b.jpg

It does make the tires look, well, funny. But it will also keep the side clean like you said, and it seems now as if the front width sorta kinda matches the body's width? so maybe that evens out the unevenness of the wheel appearance? lol

I like how you ran these wires. Considering doing something similar, but I'm curious, are you not worried about passenger feet causing a problem even with everything under the carpet?

java

Expedition Leader
It does make the tires look, well, funny. But it will also keep the side clean like you said, and it seems now as if the front width sorta kinda matches the body's width? so maybe that evens out the unevenness of the wheel appearance? lol

I like how you ran these wires. Considering doing something similar, but I'm curious, are you not worried about passenger feet causing a problem even with everything under the carpet?

Yeah I can quite put my finger on whats off with the flares.....

Not too worried about them under the carpet, they are air lines, tough to begin with, then have a sheathing on them for rub protection and got taped down in place, so they should not move around.

Good news is airlift is seining me a new switch under warranty!

Bad news, the GPS in my new radio does not work..... I got the older model and apparently they upgraded the chip in the new ones because the old one was so bad.....

java

Expedition Leader
Well letting the radio think all day while I was at work seemed to get a lock. Not a great lock, but hopefully it works. That may be a PAINFULLY slow GPS chipset.
47652012862_e69ae4bd82_b.jpg

But I now have a dual band, dual transmit/receive radio, which lets me just run APRS on B band and talk as needed on A band. A does digital also, have not even played with that in the slightest. I think this location will work, just on a magnetic phone mount.
40738665413_252462cd2a_b.jpg

This also happened. Upgraded to a much larger solar controller, 50A max charge current now. Will support a second large panel if I want to go that route. And while I was down there, I realized I can keep the old smaller one for my little portable panel. I already have it wired up for a connection in the drivers side tool box. Redundant systems, and can park in the shade and still make a little power if I want.
47652012912_bf9964ce22_b.jpg

And the front bags held pressure, which is good, that means the switch is leaking from the feed side only!

java

Expedition Leader
Set up Camp Friday night, holy S was it windy! Sustained 20-30 and gusts to 55.
40767226823_73043b70b4_b.jpg

Walked the whole cliff line, it was really fun actually.
47680716282_d0efd89bca_b.jpg

It was windy enough we moved to this little "divot" to try to get out of it.
40766695353_0213b605ea_b.jpg

Bigger solar controller worked well. More amps!
47680706102_91f89d485c_b.jpg

Did my first real trad lead, it was fun, did a 5.8 I had climbed before, still a bit nerve wracking.
46816650335_36d5157a98_b.jpg

Did this one too, but didnt take any pics....
33856132628_d2fdc63db0_b.jpg

APRS worked on the way there, 15 mins or so to get a GPS lock.... but then it worked. Not so much on the way home 2.5 hrs to get a lock and it kept dropping. Will need to revist.

Fatboyz

Observer
Nice weather! We got 12" of snow Saturday and the forecast is for snow showers every day all week! tough getting any work done on my truck. Hoping to do the spray insulation this weekend if the weather smartens up.

java

Expedition Leader
Nice weather! We got 12" of snow Saturday and the forecast is for snow showers every day all week! tough getting any work done on my truck. Hoping to do the spray insulation this weekend if the weather smartens up.
Yeah, it's been nice, spring is just around the corner I hope!

java

Expedition Leader
You should see my toe knuckles. Actually you shouldn’t, they’re pretty gross
Lol I know what you mean.... But I literally have thr biggest size they make. Wish I could get a little bigger. Been eying the Butora Accros.

java

Expedition Leader
Maintenance time! 127k miles now.

Air filter.... Well that looks dirty compared to a new one.... White balance of my camera makes it look worse than it is, but still. Its noticeably heavier.....
46838344305_763ed72b4b_b.jpg

Thoughts on snorkel? I have been thinking of DIY'ing one.... Not sure how much it would help, nor am I sure 4" would flow enough (thats what the Aussies are using on the newer Ford snorkels tho)

Along these lines, Donaldson Top, 4" tube, hopefully less bends on mine.

DodgeUnderWaterAirIntake.jpg

Did the primary fuel filter also, no pics as I was covered in diesel.... But I don't like the Wix filter, its a little different design than OE. Will probably swap it for an OE one shortly.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I thought about one on my 6.0, when I was farming full time, just for the dust. If they had made one for it, I would of done so. I was always a little worried about the tube size, and friction loss, if i remember right it would have to of been 5-6 inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles