Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Fatboyz

Observer
Get them snow tires on and head north! No end in site until at least the end of the week!

Attachments

• IMG_1197[1].JPG
    IMG_1197[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

java

Expedition Leader
Oh man this sounds terrible!

I had considered doing Atlas springs as well, but after getting into all my work and not knowing future weights I found out that SD (10th gen) 250 springs ended up giving me the perfect ride... Except for the Bilstein shocks (junk).

If you really wanted to you could file a BBB? I did that with ATT recently actually, seems it was the only way to get them to listen. I have heard so many great things about atlas. Maybe they just screwed up and are super nervous to make it right? Although that certainly is NO excuse from a company...

Maybe I missed something, but are you also replacing the shocks at the same time? I think its always a good idea to do shocks if your doing springs. Unless theyre already new.

But now that I just saw pappa's post hahahahha...maybe theyre training someone new who doesn't know how to take orders correctly!
Shocks are new 5100's all around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Anyone know these trucks well enough to know common spots mice get in? I found another nest in my damn truck!

Chorky

Observer
On gross... Nothing I hated worse when a tech as doing something underneath and a big full nest vell all over your face... paranoid of diseases.

Hmm....for it to be in the B pillar I would first suspect some sort of hole in a grommet in the firewall somewhere, but they could also sneak up through some of the 'seals' on the floor. I'm not familiar with your specific year truck, but if theres any sort of openings at all.... Going actually AROUND the heater core is possible as well. Checking your cabin vent filter (if you have one) is a good idea.

java

Expedition Leader
On gross... Nothing I hated worse when a tech as doing something underneath and a big full nest vell all over your face... paranoid of diseases.

Hmm....for it to be in the B pillar I would first suspect some sort of hole in a grommet in the firewall somewhere, but they could also sneak up through some of the 'seals' on the floor. I'm not familiar with your specific year truck, but if theres any sort of openings at all.... Going actually AROUND the heater core is possible as well. Checking your cabin vent filter (if you have one) is a good idea.
Yeah I've already cleaned this truck once of mice..... (PO hid it...) I can't find any obvious holes.

Chorky

Observer
Hmm...... :unsure: follow the poop pellets! (y):ROFLMAO: kidding.... :oops::cautious::sick:

well the places I would look first if it were me:
  • firewall for ANY holes or ANY damage of ANY kind....
  • cabin air filter for signs of passage
  • around the rest of the heater core box, some had the heater core and/or fan placed outside the firewall with the rest of the components inside the vehicle, so essentially a HUGE hole in the firewall that was 'sealed' by the two boxes bolting to the firewall - if this makes any sense...
  • underside for any holes (like on older trucks like mine where Ford just bolted a plate to the floorboard for no manual trans types - on my jeep some rascals sneaked through the rubber grommet for the parking brake cable)
  • you have a pass through, right? maybe it would be good to make sure they didn't go through that...those buggers can squeeze through some insane spaces
I'm willing to bet they went through a super small opening, but you should be able to find some teeth marks somewhere. Although I do suppose they could have gone through the box somewhere and then to the front of the truck from there? I'm not familiar with all the holes in your camping box. I mean it could even be possible to go through the exhaust of a propane system, and get in that way (although I know you don't have propane, just an example)

Either way...let us know. That is super annoying! But since they are there I highly recommend you check ALL your engine wiring! I cannot tell you how many times I had to do a complete wiring harness change for a customers vehicle due to mice and rats. The worst jobs ever....

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
damn - sucks dude! in my jeep I picked up 3 mice last year camping at craters of the moon NM ... had to stop and get mousetraps (spring style) and buried all 3 of them at Dinosaur NM 2 days later. A few weeks after getting home and well after i thought i had cleaned the heck out of the jeep ... well i kept hearing like a marble sound sometimes when turning corners. then i noticed a piece of dog food in the rear map reading light ... dropped the headliner and there was at least a full bowl of dog food - about 2 cups of kibble up there! freakin' mice dont mess around and they get into ANYTHING. I guess they had been taking piece by piece from the bag in the cargo area (very small hole chewed into it) and up the rear pillar and into the roof area

Previously I had one chewing wires on my old f150, and my boss in NM had to replace the wiring in two vehicles his ram 2500 and gf's 4runner. My sister's family had a mouse invasion when parked at a trailhead - now she stuffs papertowels with peppermint oil on them in the wheels when parked, supposed to keep them away and no mouse invasions for them this year. I did look into using those sonic repellants, butg apparently they suck and aren't worth it. I plan on always keeping spring traps for my rig so at least they die fast before a chance to do too much damage.

java

Expedition Leader
I cant find any obvious spots.... Need to check HVAC. grrr nothing has shown up in the spring traps.

I will see if my wife can help look tonight. I figured a flashlight under/around the dash may help find any holes. Its hard to see.... All the boots I can see/find are good.

I have heard of the peppermint oil before. Interesting thought, I am willing to try anything at the moment. No chewed wires that I can find. Just the insulation they are for the nest.

java

Expedition Leader
Weekends progress after vacuuming out mouse nests and scrubbing everything....

Cardboard mock up. Long enough to be useful? Maybe? Not hang up on everything? Hopefully....
44745255361_d7b21e398a_b.jpg

One polyethylene mud flap, supposed to not blow up in very freezing weather. Cut into two mirror pieces.

More wider.

44745250741_0777f0886e_b.jpg

Two OE bolts and a few stainless screws, done. Hopefully that keeps things a bit cleaner.

44026816274_4a5b1ae855_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles