Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

b dkw1

Observer
That is not a lot of dirt. For what you are doing the stock filter is fine as is. Your overthinking it.

I have seen those plugged solid with about 10#'s of silt. They will hold way more dirt than what yours had in it.

java

Expedition Leader
That is not a lot of dirt. For what you are doing the stock filter is fine as is. Your overthinking it.

I have seen those plugged solid with about 10#'s of silt. They will hold way more dirt than what yours had in it.
Good to know. It definitely had a lot more in it, I didn't beat it shake it out, that was just from cutting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jo_Duval

Observer
I love/hate them. Great shoe, but they don't really make a big enough size for me! It's frustrating, they work well, but hurt like hell too.

What size do you need? I have size 12 feet and it’s one of the only shoes I like. I must say I have a set of lace ups and Velcro’s. The Velcro’s I can only wear for 20mins at a time, I use them mostly for bouldering as they are also more aggressive.

I think I’m wearing a size 43 in them, compared to 46 in my cycling shoes ?

java

Expedition Leader
What size do you need? I have size 12 feet and it’s one of the only shoes I like. I must say I have a set of lace ups and Velcro’s. The Velcro’s I can only wear for 20mins at a time, I use them mostly for bouldering as they are also more aggressive.

I think I’m wearing a size 43 in them, compared to 46 in my cycling shoes
12.5-13 depending on the mfg. Iirc mine are 46, that's as big as they make.... Velcro here too, lace ups get old.

Jo_Duval

Observer
Lance up gets old but they allow my wider feet more comfort ahaha. I consider them my slippers. Then Velcro’s for harder routes or bouldering

java

Expedition Leader
Lance up gets old but they allow my wider feet more comfort ahaha. I consider them my slippers. Then Velcro’s for harder routes or bouldering
Hmm maybe I should try them! I was looking at the Butora Accros to try next

java

Expedition Leader
Spring in the PNW means lots of logs.... I keep a cheap strap for them, this one ate it.....
40823188293_01b00e8d7e_b.jpg

And another....
47000301554_a875a97bd2_b.jpg

But got to a beautiful little camp spot.
47737229452_1c7854061b_b.jpg

Short hike to a little lake
46873096555_33a62261c2_b.jpg

Kiddo cleaned the place up, there was a fair bit of trash. Came home with 8lbs of brass....
46873093115_0cf51088ab_b.jpg

And did a bit of climbing on a fun little multi.
46873061075_4bd7c0944d_b.jpg

Then ran up to the old faithful camp spot.
47737150042_6106b87181_b.jpg

32845903287_55a603db66_b.jpg

Then up early to find a big slab of rock :D Ended up being super chossy, but it was fun to explore a new area.
40823074673_23a4b55690_b.jpg

This one is for next time..... Need a longer rope :) there is one 200' pitch in the middle!
32845784107_c9d8318c01_b.jpg

And now the not so fun..... Truck is kinda running like crap!

under 1700rpms, no power, lots of smoke. Once moving and things are spooled over ~10 psi it clears up, but man its a smoke show from a stop. It will also smoke on demand when you step on it now. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, no luck. I am guessing either boost or exhaust leak.

Googling Similar symptoms show a few common items:

EBP Sensor
MAP Sensor

Or the EGR valve being blown open a little due to high boost. (its turned off/closed via the tuner, but I also did blow one of the charge air boots off, maybe it was a high boost?)

Or the VGT Servo, moves freely tho key off.

Or the atmospheric turbo has ******** the bed.

Time to get cracking I guess.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Possibly the vanes in the turbo stuck. Not too difficult a job to clean them up. A symptom of this is overboost. Especially if you have blown the boot off lately . EGR bypassing is also a candidate. If you suspect the EGR either replace with new (don’t overhaul) it or block it somehow. Putting a kit through them hasn’t been a long term solution in my experience.

java

Expedition Leader
Possibly the vanes in the turbo stuck. Not too difficult a job to clean them up. A symptom of this is overboost. Especially if you have blown the boot off lately . EGR bypassing is also a candidate. If you suspect the EGR either replace with new (don’t overhaul) it or block it somehow. Putting a kit through them hasn’t been a long term solution in my experience.

VGT servo moves freely, wouldn't that mean the vanes are moving as well?

Anyway to test the EGR valve you know of? I didn't see any boost spike on my gauge (goes yellow to red when its getting high) but I may not have been staring at it either.... But it did blow the boot on the turbo outlet to the charge pipe off.....

Biggest symptom is no boost/shuddering at low rpm/take off from a stop (which makes a lot of smoke). After boost gets to ~10psi or 2k rpms it feel like normal.

Any experience with the IDS readers? This seems way too good to be true, says includes unlocked software (hacked I assume....)

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No experience with those readers. For an aftermarket ford reader I recommend the Auto Enginuity kit. It also has very good forum support around the place.

And I don’t know of anyway to test the EGR valve. But I have seen people spend a lot on turbos etc when EGR valves fail.

Black smoke is usually restricted air flow or high fuel flow. In older diesels you would be looking for blocked due pressure regulator bypass or dirty air filters. Modern diesels can trigger all sorts of symptoms if you get sensor failures.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/aut...MIxaaLufGH4gIVhb9kCh3qTwl-EAQYASABEgKHR_D_BwE

java

Expedition Leader
Vanes (servo/actuator anyway) move themselves ok startup. Pulling MAP next to check....

java

Expedition Leader
EBP is clean, MAP was dirty, but cleaned and no different. Cleaned MAF.

I May have been wrong about the egr valve being commanded closed. I can't find that setting now. Unless it's built into the software.
387d99d01845965b57c204423dc03d99.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Well if the egr valve wasn't the issue, it certainly is now....
eae5de57f35e4897a4c46a786e468e00.jpg

Pressure tested. No leaks (big ones anyway... My compressor is small)

Pulled the plunger all the way out (closed I assume) and truck runs better! Still a little smoke, but power off the line is noticeably better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles