Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
no way - if you need to get out of trouble (or get someone else out) the last thing you want is one breaking loose .... we all know the power of things flying around when a cable breaks etc. good idea to make sure they're fully capable - now you just need to borrow a crane and see if you can lift the truck by the mount :D

i put a hitch on my kodiak (iirc 15k lb) but when i saw what you're doing realized maybe I shouldn't have cut the steel u-channel that use to support the step bumper (welded to the frame). I think I could've used those for some solid recover points in addition to/instead of the hitch, but oh well too late for that now. that's the problem with these forums you get good ideas...but sometimes too late.
Yep I have learned a lot too late.... I didn't like the hitch on this truck for recovery. Jus the way its built has a lot of leverage. These should be bomb proof.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Old bolts beat into place to line things up, new grade 8's going in. Reamed each hole in place with a 1/2" drill, that sucked. A lot.

46216933925_d0d7bcc425_b.jpg

Bolted and torqued.

47131227601_14d20d1bf7_b.jpg

Beefy!

40166129093_30762d6f78_b.jpg

Got out for a day of skiing too. These mornings are so worth it.

46407592314_7a821474a9_b.jpg

47131233701_197ed76e18_b.jpg

47135526691_a862c51406_b.jpg

Survivable? :D

33260056808_5c8e72cc61_b.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Those rear tow points came out rather nice! You did make an extra set for my F350 Ambulance frame, didn't you?
Laughing Mouse.gif

java

Expedition Leader
Those rear tow points came out rather nice! You did make an extra set for my F350 Ambulance frame, didn't you?
View attachment 500604

They are too damn heavy to ship LOL.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention..... Truck did not want to start Sunday morning! Tried to self jump off the house batteries without any luck, got out and wiggled all the connections and it started right up.

The drivers side battery was a bit loose in its holder, I think it may have shaken all the acid or broken a plate loose inside it.... The positive terminal was super crusty. That is also where the house batt's are connected, so if it didnt have a good connection that may be part of the lack of self jump ability. Disconnected the battery, will see if it holds a charge....

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Right on!
We were at snoqualmie last Monday with 20” of fresh and then got stuck when they closed i90! Stayed until Wednesday with no lifts running!
Too much snow!? Been crazy around here.

Have you stayed at the Stevens lot?
Heading up there Thursday for a few nights.

java

Expedition Leader
Right on!
We were at snoqualmie last Monday with 20” of fresh and then got stuck when they closed i90! Stayed until Wednesday with no lifts running!

Yep been up there a fair bit!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
Right on!

I think this is one of the best selling points for a 'expo' rig, no matter what style, and something I think a lot of people don't think about. The ability to stay 'anywhere' whether its a day or a week, but not just staying somewhere doing so comfortably to extend the originally planned fun. Lots of roads and highways closed down this winter across the northwest.

Fatboyz

Observer
I think this is one of the best selling points for a 'expo' rig, no matter what style, and something I think a lot of people don't think about. The ability to stay 'anywhere' whether its a day or a week, but not just staying somewhere doing so comfortably to extend the originally planned fun. Lots of roads and highways closed down this winter across the northwest.
My thoughts exactly on building my rig. We love to camp near the crags and ice climbs and not having to pay for hotels is a bonus. Most campsites here are closed in the winter so you need to find a place to crawl into with the rig and boondock.

java

Expedition Leader

Yep, being able to pull over and climb through to the back was one of our requirements. Not going outside has advantages at times.

Battery voltage is still above 12.5 after sitting for a couple days..... Crusty terminal was the only issue perhaps? I bought a new "military" style for it....

Chorky

Observer
Maybe make sure the sheething is ok too, and that corrosion hasn't gotten into the wiring from some crack - usually near the terminals.

java

Expedition Leader
Snow was GOOD!
46485766774_d695890535_b.jpg

47209123861_9cce15f85b_b.jpg

Left the Stevns pass weekend crowd and headed to Mission Ridge. Had never skied there before! A TON of terrain for just a couple lifts.

32266842237_1b561cc2a4_b.jpg

Had to be home mid day Sunday, so we had to leave when they got a bunch of fresh snow :( and the no start condition came back.... Lot dudes were super friendly and tried to jump to no avail. Starter clicks but no turn. I climbed under to to the classic whack starter..... Nothing. Checked all the cable and I think I may have found the issue, the main power lug wiggles ever so slightly on the back of the starter, where you can see or barely reach..... So on cold mornings I think its just not getting enough amps to the starter. Pulling on the cable that runs to the starter worked, probably made a bit more connection. Truck started and drove home just fine. I'll disconnect all the power and see if I can get in there and clean and tighten that up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior