Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Chorky

Observer
Yeah that's true. That is one big problem with LED lights that I don't think many understand. I'm taking a chance with mine so we'll see how they work here in the winter. But it sure feels good to have a lower electrical draw!

I wonder if all the Rigid lights get warm enough to melt snow/ice. It's interesting that they're so warm even though theyre not a crazy bright light since theyre within DOT specs.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I think they have DOT approval not because they're within some kind of brightness limit but because the light beam is advanced enough to not shine in a way that it blinds other drivers. Something cheap eBay light bars lack.
Headlight cutoff

Correct, it's all about the optics and keeping the light beam low. Being a "fog" light you want the light beam low so it minimizes the reflection back from or probably more correctly, the illumination of fog into your eyes. Thats why factory fog lights turn off when you hit the high beams, it's supposed be one or the other, high level beam or low level ground beam. Being DOT approved means it's safe and legal to run while on public roads, something that almost any aftermarket light, whether LED or HID or old school halogen are not. Many states I believe require you to have covers on to prevent the use on public roads. Not saying they'll pull you over for it, but if they want an excuse...

java

Expedition Leader
FWIW it's actually SAE apprpval, DOT does not do any ought regulation.

But yes it's about beam control. These have a pretty incredible cut off. Best I have seen with LED honestly. Optics are GOOD!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
Correct, it's all about the optics and keeping the light beam low. Being a "fog" light you want the light beam low so it minimizes the reflection back from or probably more correctly, the illumination of fog into your eyes. Thats why factory fog lights turn off when you hit the high beams, it's supposed be one or the other, high level beam or low level ground beam. Being DOT approved means it's safe and legal to run while on public roads, something that almost any aftermarket light, whether LED or HID or old school halogen are not. Many states I believe require you to have covers on to prevent the use on public roads. Not saying they'll pull you over for it, but if they want an excuse...

I think Washington legally only allows something like 4 'off road' or 'aux' lights above normal headlight level, and do require covers. I remember looking that up something like 10 years ago though. But who's going to really pull you over unless your trying to blind people. Although theres so many jack wagons around here that just drive around with their brights on all the time I'm very tempted to... But same with the mud flaps laws and vehicle height restriction laws..... Other states (where I'm moving) I found out actually allow full use of high performance off road lights with no limitations on road, but they have to be wired in to operate with your high beams - I think mostly due to very long stretches of nothing, and high instances of vehicle/animal conflict. I think this is an excellent provision, because lets face it, factory lights are garbage unless you're on a city street with many street lights, in which case headlights are then almost pointless (except for others being able to see you).

Chorky

Observer
FWIW it's actually SAE apprpval, DOT does not do any ought regulation.

But yes it's about beam control. These have a pretty incredible cut off. Best I have seen with LED honestly. Optics are GOOD!

Well this is way cool. I've been wanting to get some RIGID lights for a while, but was just skeptical of the whole LED deal (until my truck headlights). But a local shop told me they have a lot of warranty claims and don't hold up well, and so he referred me to VisionX lights, but they don't seem to offer many options, and having a few different lights with different beam coverage and covers for different situations I think is pretty important. So its really nice to see yours up and running, and some actual night time drivers seat shots.

Chorky

Observer
I think the SAE is a good thing to point out in that if one plans to use them on the road, especially in Washington. Fortunately, I will be moving to an area that actually allows use of legit off road lights on highways considering a few provisions.

Do you plan to add any additional lighting options?

java

Expedition Leader
I think the SAE is a good thing to point out in that if one plans to use them on the road, especially in Washington. Fortunately, I will be moving to an area that actually allows use of legit off road lights on highways considering a few provisions.

Do you plan to add any additional lighting options?
I have the three suns on the front and a 20" bar for a backup light. No other real Plans. We could have used a bit more area lighting last time, but I'll probably do something small and portable

java

Expedition Leader
Waking up after what I can say was the strangest night I have had in awhile..... We rolled in just about 10pm, dumping wet snow, there was a group of three trucks there waiting for one more. I figured that would be the last people we would see of the night.... Nope, about 11pm the UTV's and trucks started coming by, going who knows where, and they didn't stop.... All night long until 5:30 am. I can imagine fueled by nothing more than meth and Bud Light. Yeah dont recommend that spot.

New tires smooth out the little bumps, big bumps are still bumpy. I averaged ~15 mph probably on this road.

46164599761_f8a4241e5a_b.jpg

Made our way back down to the highway and headed up Mt Rainer for a little ski touring! First real long ish tour for us. Did just about 2500 vertical up.

32292938498_a1d457f860_b.jpg

45441034844_db19696bfe_b.jpg

44347393970_af20452ed2_b.jpg

Great ski down!
45441059014_4079307355_b.jpg

44347393890_37b7a0a532_b.jpg

Tucked into a campground for the night. We were the only people there. It was quiet, thank god.
45252514535_dbaeb4683b_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
I love the mountain mural on the front of the camper body, it looks great!
Me too! Much more my style. I'm debating making smaller matching ones for the sides, but might get too 'busy'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz