Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

mog

Kodiak Wrangler
I also bought ceramic beads that I mixed into the paint for further insulation and it really worked to keep the box cooler!
Slight thread-drift
Do the ceramic beads add any texture to the paint? As in besides helping with insulation, do they provide a non-slip surface?

java

Expedition Leader
Slight thread-drift
Do the ceramic beads add any texture to the paint? As in besides helping with insulation, do they provide a non-slip surface?
I don't belive it really does.

I am planning to use Gaco Liquid roof tape to make walking path. It's a bit thicker and has microfiber in it. That's what they suggest.

It's cured up nice and beads like crazy right now!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Joaquin Suave

OverlandHardware.com
Sorry for the delay Guys...

YES it adds texture!!! And beyond that it is about a 1000 degree cooler if you are on the top deck barefoot!!! The summer before I added the coating we were at a beach party on the coast above Santa Barbara at a buddies ranch. I fried myself getting my "travel yak" off the top of Casa! The next year NO PROBLEM!!!

java

Expedition Leader
How all the fun begins!

Camp!

Got a little snow over night. Got real cold tho

Did some snow shoeing, lots of sledding.

Ill take that for a cold start win! 12.4F

House batteries were getting low.... They don't like the cold. Alternators were doing 70-90 amps at idle while it warmed up.

Idled down without any drama.

Chorky

Observer
man that second photo looks icy, and off camber... pucker up.

Pretty sure fuel filters are not supposed to be that color.... changed 10k ago ish I believe.

are you using a fuel additive for winter anti-gelling? mine has been like this the last couple years too actually - seems odd. wondering either its that, or just something up with our fuel these days. I dont ever remember diesel filters being this dirty 5 years ago.

java

Expedition Leader
are you using a fuel additive for winter anti-gelling? mine has been like this the last couple years too actually - seems odd. wondering either its that, or just something up with our fuel these days. I dont ever remember diesel filters being this dirty 5 years ago.
I use power service white bottle. But not in awhile since it's been summer??

Chorky

Observer
Interesting. I usually get a full year out of my fuel filter and run amsoil cold flow in the winter, with #1 or a 50/50 mix. Its been the same darkness as yours the last 3 years. I wouldnt be surprised if our fuel is casing this coloring. Seems like fuels changes along with engines and emissions stuff. Maybe some sort of new additive to make new engines cleaner? Although you would think the filter would be cleaner too....

Recommended books for Overlanding

java

Expedition Leader
Interesting. I usually get a full year out of my fuel filter and run amsoil cold flow in the winter, with #1 or a 50/50 mix. Its been the same darkness as yours the last 3 years. I wouldnt be surprised if our fuel is casing this coloring. Seems like fuels changes along with engines and emissions stuff. Maybe some sort of new additive to make new engines cleaner? Although you would think the filter would be cleaner too....
I was looking at my paint pen under the hood, may have been 20k....

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Diesel contains small amounts of long molecules called asphaltenes. These clump together and turn filters black. however a large amount of sludge like buildup, points to liquid water either in the fuel tank or at the filling station. At the liquid water to fuel interface microbes can grow and the resulting biological goo ends up in the filter.

I have a pair of 4 and 10 micron spin on filters with approximately 60,000 miles on them. I need to cut them open and see what they look like. Should be interesting.

java

Expedition Leader
Diesel contains small amounts of long molecules called asphaltenes. These clump together and turn filters black. however a large amount of sludge like buildup, points to liquid water either in the fuel tank or at the filling station. At the liquid water to fuel interface microbes can grow and the resulting biological goo ends up in the filter.
Yes, I am not leaning towards asphaltines. (the oil filter is in that bag too, the black goo is oil) maybe algea, maybe just dirt and longer filter interval