Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

luthj

Engineer In Residence
With that much toe, you could possibly get wear like that in 2-500 miles.

You might check Craigslist or similar for a mobile truck alignment guy. Typically they aren't crazy expensive, and will come to you.

java

Expedition Leader
Found one mobile guy, on the other side of the state....

It's all buttoned up now. We will see this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have done bush alignments with 1/32" division tape measure and some precision cut wood blocks. When I finally got it on a machine, it was within 0.2 degrees of spec, which is pretty good in my book.

With that much cupping you might want to try rotating tires front/rear to eliminate tire noise/vibration from your troubleshooting.

java

Expedition Leader
I have done bush alignments with 1/32" division tape measure and some precision cut wood blocks. When I finally got it on a machine, it was within 0.2 degrees of spec, which is pretty good in my book.

With that much cupping you might want to try rotating tires front/rear to eliminate tire noise/vibration from your troubleshooting.
I'll be throwing the last two new ones on once my balancers come in. I flopped them side to side for now.

java

Expedition Leader
SOOOOO on the way out of town Friday for LD weekend, blew a air bag..... I was literally just telling my wife I needed to do the trackbar and front end work since I was worried it would blow a bag from rubbing on the frame. But nope, much have gotten a rock in the convoluted area.

I noticed it was a bit harsh after a few mins, look down and gauge is pegged at 0psi. Fawk. Pull over and yep. So we drove 80 miles on the bump stop.... Now the fun part.... My wife said she could hardly tell the difference. And I have never been very happy with the bags, didn't make much difference IMO. So maybe its hitting the bumps all the time?

So I am contemplating going back to coils.... It would take a couple hours to swap back I think.

SO thoughts on that. And thoughts on finding an off the shelf coil vs a custom one? I spoke with someone YEARS ago that used a f350 4" lift spring with 2" cut off or something. You may remember my custom rear coil debacle..... I am not sure custom is worth the $$

Obvious hole.
50324399272_db02570cc3_b.jpg

Good news is I carry a spare, and had everything I needed to swap it. Took about an hour.
50324358802_af7ac63517_b.jpg

Can see the frame rub spot
50323513903_d21a782122_b.jpg

Back together.
50324185351_84c5590c34_b.jpg

Ok went for a drive. Bags seems to top out at 80 psi, ie they don't get higher pressure, just get taller. Like odd shape on mounts etc.

Buttt they seem to ride better (was hitting speed bumps) this makes me think taller bag is the ticket. I'm just on bumpstops all the time. And rear felt like ********.

fetch

And I knew I had had this thought before.....
From Pirate 10 months ago.....

Thinking about bags vs coils again.... Frustrated by this stupid thing. Worried I am stressing the frame a lot rather than the suspension moving enough.

I was just looking at the bag data again, It shows 5.4" tall at bump stop contact if I am reading correct. If I am only running the bags at 8" tall that is not much movement. (and corresponds to the zip tie test IIRC).

Maybe I'm better trying to find a coil that will allow a bit more movement.... UGH. Not sure I even want to try pink tanks.

48755636321_0f0c725a1b_b.jpg

BUUUUT looking thru the firestone catalog, top bag is the one I am using now. Bottom one is same diameter but 2" taller. No internal bumpstop though. Build a new lower mount, add bumpstop somewhere, and have more travel?

48953096072_7c4196cb2f_c.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
1) Locate and befriend a suspension engineer

2) Trial and Error

3) COTS kit for heavy loads and fine tune as needed

4) Replace bags with taller versions

5) Twin ORI struts on each corner (#3800 per pair)

6) Custom coilovers from Reiger, Fox, ADS, Penske or King = Lots of money and tuning to get the perfect tune.

:D

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
SOOOOO on the way out of town Friday for LD weekend, blew a air bag..... I was literally just telling my wife I needed to do the trackbar and front end work since I was worried it would blow a bag from rubbing on the frame. But nope, much have gotten a rock in the convoluted area.

I noticed it was a bit harsh after a few mins, look down and gauge is pegged at 0psi. Fawk. Pull over and yep. So we drove 80 miles on the bump stop.... Now the fun part.... My wife said she could hardly tell the difference. And I have never been very happy with the bags, didn't make much difference IMO. So maybe its hitting the bumps all the time?

So I am contemplating going back to coils.... It would take a couple hours to swap back I think.

SO thoughts on that. And thoughts on finding an off the shelf coil vs a custom one? I spoke with someone YEARS ago that used a f350 4" lift spring with 2" cut off or something. You may remember my custom rear coil debacle..... I am not sure custom is worth the $$

Obvious hole.
50324399272_db02570cc3_b.jpg

Good news is I carry a spare, and had everything I needed to swap it. Took about an hour.
50324358802_af7ac63517_b.jpg

Can see the frame rub spot
50323513903_d21a782122_b.jpg

Back together.
50324185351_84c5590c34_b.jpg

Ok went for a drive. Bags seems to top out at 80 psi, ie they don't get higher pressure, just get taller. Like odd shape on mounts etc.

Buttt they seem to ride better (was hitting speed bumps) this makes me think taller bag is the ticket. I'm just on bumpstops all the time. And rear felt like ****.

fetch

And I knew I had had this thought before.....
From Pirate 10 months ago.....

Thinking about bags vs coils again.... Frustrated by this stupid thing. Worried I am stressing the frame a lot rather than the suspension moving enough.

I was just looking at the bag data again, It shows 5.4" tall at bump stop contact if I am reading correct. If I am only running the bags at 8" tall that is not much movement. (and corresponds to the zip tie test IIRC).

Maybe I'm better trying to find a coil that will allow a bit more movement.... UGH. Not sure I even want to try pink tanks.

48755636321_0f0c725a1b_b.jpg

BUUUUT looking thru the firestone catalog, top bag is the one I am using now. Bottom one is same diameter but 2" taller. No internal bumpstop though. Build a new lower mount, add bumpstop somewhere, and have more travel?

48953096072_7c4196cb2f_c.jpg

This problem sounds convoluted #dadjoke

Personally, I’d take 2” Of height off those brackets , get 2” taller bags and try it out. I’m guessing it will be night and day

java

Expedition Leader
This problem sounds convoluted #dadjoke

Personally, I’d take 2” Of height off those brackets , get 2” taller bags and try it out. I’m guessing it will be night and day

That's kinda where I am leaning too. I have the OE bumpstops I can put back on, although they may be too short....

Petrolburner

Explorer
Spacers for the stock bump stops or taller bump stops from Timbren. Or, hydraulic bumps like the desert racers use. Or, contact Firestone for the taller bags with internal bump stops, they should be able to do that easily. That would be the easiest I think.

Still need an on-board compressor so you're not at highway pressure in the dirt for a smooth ride. There's really no replacement suspension wise for the low cost benefit of airing down. I know, I'm a broken record on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If the sky is the limit, I would do coilovers. A good shop should be able to dial in a spring rate and valve package pretty close on the first go. Just need sprung/unsprung weights, travel, ride height, and desired usage.

java

Expedition Leader
Spacers for the stock bump stops or taller bump stops from Timbren. Or, hydraulic bumps like the desert racers use. Or, contact Firestone for the taller bags with internal bump stops, they should be able to do that easily. That would be the easiest I think.

Still need an on-board compressor so you're not at highway pressure in the dirt for a smooth ride. There's really no replacement suspension wise for the low cost benefit of airing down. I know, I'm a broken record on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bumpstop spacers would be easy.

Firestone doesn't make this diameter and height with internal bumps.

java

Expedition Leader
If the sky is the limit, I would do coilovers. A good shop should be able to dial in a spring rate and valve package pretty close on the first go. Just need sprung/unsprung weights, travel, ride height, and desired usage.
Not sure I want to spend that much cash......

Taller bags would be 300$ ish plus some Fab time

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Well, I did qualify with the sky limit... But yeah, not cheap. A set of 2.5s with adjusters would set you back around $2,500. You could sell your current shocks to recoup some of the cash hopefully.

I am also not sure what modifications your chassis would need to use a coilover. I am sure its been done somewhere though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles