Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
I would check the rear as well, as that would make you steer left/right and could do funkyness.
I will this evening! May do a string alignment if I can't find a shop quick

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
You probably know this already but if you want a slightly more accurate measurement you could do the spray paint ring around each tire tread, score a line in the paint as you rotate the tire, and use that to measure . It’s still rough of course compared to a shop

java

Expedition Leader
You probably know this already but if you want a slightly more accurate measurement you could do the spray paint ring around each tire tread, score a line in the paint as you rotate the tire, and use that to measure . It’s still rough of course compared to a shop

Oh! I didn't know that trick!! I may be doing it myself as every big truck shop is booked out thru next week.... I have 1500 miles to drive this weekend. Sounds lightly easier and just as accurate as a string version?

Option two is take both front wheels off and make some scrap steel plates to bolt on. Measure between them.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
I use gray primer, then a brace for an awl - just enough pressure to drag a line as you spin the tire. A long s as the finish hits the start it’s a very accurate reference point

then a tape measure, but you could even use a laser if you have something at the line for it to reflect from. It should give you a pretty good idea if you’re close to spec or not

java

Expedition Leader
I use gray primer, then a brace for an awl - just enough pressure to drag a line as you spin the tire. A long s as the finish hits the start it’s a very accurate reference point

then a tape measure, but you could even use a laser if you have something at the line for it to reflect from. It should give you a pretty good idea if you’re close to spec or not
I may have to give it a try! Thanks

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There are tools like this out there. This one won't fit your large wheels, but you can make something similar without to much work.

It may also be worthwhile to jack each wheel and check for roundness near the ground.

java

Expedition Leader
There are tools like this out there. This one won't fit your large wheels, but you can make something similar without to much work.

It may also be worthwhile to jack each wheel and check for roundness near the ground.
Yes, I have used those alignment plates before. I believe my dad has a set. I was thinking of a DIY version. Just a piece of angle iron with holes drilled for the lugs

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Lots of ways to do it. you could just put 2 bolts through a piece of angle where they contact the wheel edge. Then strap them into place to measure. Or you can remove the wheels and do what you are suggesting. Doesn't need to be perfect. Plus/minus 1/16" is enough for a rough setup.

java

Expedition Leader
Alignment parts made. Angle iron, one lug run on as a spacer, one clamps it in place.

Toe was 1.5" towed out.... Yikes.

Set to 9/16 in. (9/16 over 48"). So nearly zero toe.

5917a92cce782c35fb869472dbd8d2de.jpg
dc7547cdc6d99d84ca258aff67c0ce3c.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Definitely have a good shop check the front end over well.

These new trucks ask a lot of the ball joints and tie rods.
Good reason why they are so huge.... even then they are prone to death wobble and other odd vibrations with the slightest wear.

I stick with OEM Motorcraft for everything front end. Tie rods and ends, ball joints, etc.

java

Expedition Leader
Definitely have a good shop check the front end over well.

These new trucks ask a lot of the ball joints and tie rods.
Good reason why they are so huge.... even then they are prone to death wobble and other odd vibrations with the slightest wear.

I stick with OEM Motorcraft for everything front end. Tie rods and ends, ball joints, etc.
Definitely. I just can't get in anywhere with a bay big enough before the weekend.

Everything in the front feels tight.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You've got it close enough for now. Just be wary of vibrations.

I have serious trouble believing there is no damage to components, with such a terrible toe alignment.

java

Expedition Leader
You've got it close enough for now. Just be wary of vibrations.

I have serious trouble believing there is no damage to components, with such a terrible toe alignment.
I'm hoping it may have been mostly the ditch last weekend.... It tire wear shows it may have been quite awhile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles