Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sounds like they are done. Did you charge until the return current dropped to 5A? At 14.4V or whatever the batteries spec is? It can take 48 hours if the batteries are badly sulfated, the current will drop, but then start climbing again, before tapering down to 5A

java

Expedition Leader
Sounds like they are done. Did you charge until the return current dropped to 5A? At 14.4V or whatever the batteries spec is? It can take 48 hours if the batteries are badly sulfated, the current will drop, but then start climbing again, before tapering down to 5A
Its plugged in full time when not in use, so they should get a full charge no problem. And yes it's at the voltage spec for the batteries.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
What charger are you using? Don't assume the "generic" profiles are doing what you need. Especially as the batteries age, they need progressively longer charge times, especially when cold. This is where the victrons full charge trigger can be set to return current AND voltage, as opposed to voltage and the AH counter being reset to zero.

Also note that many chargers temp compensation maxes out around 15V. When very cold the batteries may need higher, but it gets capped at the chargers max.

java

Expedition Leader
What charger are you using? Don't assume the "generic" profiles are doing what you need. Especially as the batteries age, they need progressively longer charge times, especially when cold. This is where the victrons full charge trigger can be set to return current AND voltage, as opposed to voltage and the AH counter being reset to zero.

Also note that many chargers temp compensation maxes out around 15V. When very cold the batteries may need higher, but it gets capped at the chargers max.

It's a tripp lite inverter charger. Only choice is the generic profile, it is set for AGM voltages tho.

The gauge is super wonky..

Do you have it bluetoothed to the app? The app gives a ton more detailed data and easier to decipher whats going on

Yes I do have it on the app as well.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
You "had" 500ah...but capacity goes down as they age. The shunt-type amp counter doesn't know the actual capacity, it only knows what you tell it, so it gets further and further off as time goes by.

To make it right, have to do a capacity test to determine the actual capacity then put that number into the amp counter.

The SmartGauge algorithmic battery monitor measures voltage and resistance and plots it on a curve to get state of charge. Unlike a shunt-type which gets more inaccurate over time, algorithmics get more accurate over time.

Balmar has combined the two to create a self-correcting shunt-type:

java

Expedition Leader
You "had" 500ah...but capacity goes down as they age. The shunt-type amp counter doesn't know the actual capacity, it only knows what you tell it, so it gets further and further off as time goes by.

To make it right, have to do a capacity test to determine the actual capacity then put that number into the amp counter.

The SmartGauge algorithmic battery monitor measures voltage and resistance and plots it on a curve to get state of charge. Unlike a shunt-type which gets more inaccurate over time, algorithmics get more accurate over time.

Balmar has combined the two to create a self-correcting shunt-type:

Yes agreed. And it seems mine is only good for ~250ah to 100% depleted.

I'll have to take a look at that gauge. Interesting for sure.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Before you spend more money on batteries, you may consider a more programmable charger. If you have a programmable solar charger, you could always get a 120V to ~19VDC power supply. Then connect that to the solar charger when on shore power. A good long absorb after days of winter camping is necessary for battery longevity. In some cases I have seen it take 24 hours to reach the 1% return rate on my 500AH AGM bank, after a 10 days of partial cycling.

java

Expedition Leader
Before you spend more money on batteries, you may consider a more programmable charger. If you have a programmable solar charger, you could always get a 120V to ~19VDC power supply. Then connect that to the solar charger when on shore power. A good long absorb after days of winter camping is necessary for battery longevity. In some cases I have seen it take 24 hours to reach the 1% return rate on my 500AH AGM bank, after a 10 days of partial cycling.

The charger is definitely not the most advanced.... But wouldn't being on charge for 3-4 days be enough, even if only a trickle? I watched amps draw while driving last time, it dropped down to 4 for a long time then went to ~1.5 ish

Details here: https://www.tripplite.com/1250w-powerverter-rv-inverter-charger-hardwire-input-output~RV1250ULHW

I just realized the inverter charger I wanted must be installed vertically, and is 20" tall. I only have 18"...... UGH Suggestions on good ones? I was looking at the Victron 2kw inveter charger.

EDIT: Well the "compact" 2kw is 20" tall, the regular 3kw is 14. I guess I will have to get the bigger one.....

Last edited:

Bigly

Wannabe
You should also have a battery temp probe as you need more power when the battery is cold. Those Tripp Lite inverter/chargers will never put out enough to keep you even close to fully charged on shore power. I am going to by pass mine with a solar setup and go straight to the house battery. When it freaking warms up.

java

Expedition Leader
You should also have a battery temp probe as you need more power when the battery is cold. Those Tripp Lite inverter/chargers will never put out enough to keep you even close to fully charged on shore power. I am going to by pass mine with a solar setup and go straight to the house battery. When it freaking warms up.

I do need a temp sensor. Why do you say they wont output enough power?

java

Expedition Leader
Battery Musings..... Why can mfg's stick to regular sizes.

Same dimensions basically, but more amps and $$ with FR.
Trojan 105AGM, 217AH $916 avail locally.
Fullriver 250-6 250AH (what I have now) $1469 shipped
Lifeline GPL-4CT, 220AH, $1463, avail locally.

These are 2.3" longer, I may not have the room for them....
Victron BAT406225084, 240AH $1047 avail locally

That is thinking of sticking with 6V's. Any other's I should look at?

Bigly

Wannabe
The charger part of the TL lets you select the battery type for charging and they have pre-determined those charging voltages and at least on mine, you cannot tweak that. The AGM setting on mine keeps it at a constant 13.8 but according to the battery manufacturer it needs to be more. Look for an inverter/charger that you can adjust that per the battery maker's spec and not the inverter company's interpretation of what they think it should be. A constantly undercharged battery will go bad faster.

java

Expedition Leader
The charger part of the TL lets you select the battery type for charging and they have pre-determined those charging voltages and at least on mine, you cannot tweak that. The AGM setting on mine keeps it at a constant 13.8 but according to the battery manufacturer it needs to be more. Look for an inverter/charger that you can adjust that per the battery maker's spec and not the inverter company's interpretation of what they think it should be. A constantly undercharged battery will go bad faster.

Yes its on the AMG/Gel setting. Bulk is at 14.4 IIRC

Think swapping chargers and giving these a good charge will bring any life back? It appears they are likely 10+years old. Fullriver seems to have switched from the grey to the blue cases around 08/09 ish

luthj

Engineer In Residence
At 10 years you got good life. A recovery charge might get you through the season.

You need temp compensation given the voltage extremes your batteries will see.

1579563977300.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior