Sketchup - Custom slide-in pop-up camper drawing

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I downloaded google sketchup a few days ago and started playing. I drew up a design for a slide-in pop-up camper (similar to four wheel camper) for my 06 F150 crew cab 5'7" bed.
I would like some opinions on it. And yes I know it would be heavy!

-- Skip ahead to photo's if you're easily distracted like myself --
So I've always wanted a four wheel camper, but the more I look at them, the more I want to build my own. I know four wheel campers have a huge following, and they must make a good product, but there are a few things I don't like...
First is the price. I think I optioned out a hawk at some $18k iirc, and could buy a very well equipped hard sided camper for that or less. I have mixed feelings about used rigs unless I got the "right deal".
Aluminum siding. I can't fully explain why I don't like it, I just don't. I've also often seen cracks in the aluminum siding on four wheel campers. This may be partially due to excessive flex in the trucks with weaker frames. I've also seen many bent roofs. There are few windows in the hawk, I plan to camp top-down some and want to be able to see 360 degrees around the rig. The cabinetry seems somewhat disorganized in their layouts. The lower half of the camper seems poorly insulated. Again I plan to camp top-down in cold or severe weather so insulation is important even with a pop-up.
I really dislike the bed setup in four wheel campers. The "extended" cabover is 48", and still requires a slide-out of sorts for a normal sized bed. I don't like how it eats up space in the camper when in use.
Most of these things are sacrifices for a lightweight camper, but I still like the idea of building my own how I want it.

In the end I want something that fits the truck very snug, and makes use of space as efficiently as possible.
So I set out wanting to make something that is no more than 12" higher than the cab, no wider than the widest part of the truck body, and extends no more than 1' or so past the rear bumper, and doesn't decrease the departure angle (not much anyway). I wanted atleast 3 deep cycles, 3cf fridge, furnace, water heater, 20-30 gallons of fresh water, and possibly a/c and generator.
I wanted to be able to camp with the top down on occasion, likely just when I'm without the wife. But also possibly when the weather is extremely cold or windy, or maybe when I'm traveling and getting quick sleep beside the road or in a parking lot.
In the rear left portion of the camper is room for a honda eu2000 generator. On the bottom rear right is a 30 lb propane tank.
In the center is under floor storage, or likely grey water.

The construction would be an aluminum frame, possibly laminate siding. Not sure yet. If I do this it probably won't be for a year or so anyway.
Dimensions;
Exterior floor length 7'3"
Exterior width 6'8"
Exterior height (bed to roof) 4'10"
After the bumper, there is a 12" long section that drops down 9" from bed height, or about halfway down the rear bumper.
Floors and walls are planned 2" thick.
The bed is 6'4" by 4'6".
Fresh water storage is 35 gallons if I calculated right.

The cabinets on the drivers side would have sliding doors to maintain easy access top up or down, especially with the couch/bed deployed. There are two large drawers below the fridge.
The cabinet behind the couch would hold the a/c in the higher section, and have a drawer and cabinet on the lower section, possibly with access from the right exterior.
The cut-out below the couch is for a porta-potti.
The entire space under the couch is open storage.

On to the pictures...
Keep in mind this is my first time using sketchup, so some of the framing is incomplete (rear lower section). I also didn't figure out the lighting stuff so much.
The F150 used was a sketchup model I downloaded, not my drawing.

gs1.jpg

gs2.jpg

gs3.jpg

gs4.jpg

gs5.jpg

gs6.jpg

gs7.jpg

gs8.jpg

gs9.jpg

gs10.jpg

Last edited:

KEENO

Adventurer
Sweet!

Nice work Brian.... You sure can make electrons fly! That rig looks commercial!

When I look at your specs, I wonder if you're starting to get into 3/4 Ton - Full Floating Axle territory tho?

Not trying to burst any bubbles...

KEENO=)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
When I look at your specs, I wonder if you're starting to get into 3/4 Ton - Full Floating Axle territory tho?

Not trying to burst any bubbles...

KEENO=)

Shhhh....
I just bought the F150! lol
I went back and forth between an F150 and a super duty with diesel.
Somehow decided on the F150 as I don't believe I need a super duty.
Anywho, the sketchup is a little over kill. Initially I never planned on a generator or a/c unit, or such a big water tank. Just sort of happened as I drew things up and found space for them.
I could easily drop the generator, a/c, lose water capacity and use a smaller propane tank.
Having everything in the back with a short bed adds more weight behind the axle too which isn't ideal, though probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job,
How long did that take you?
I have dabbled in Sketchup, it takes a while to get the hang of.

Brian

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
From downloading it and getting it to the point of the pictures, probably 11 hours.
I have an issue where I get started on something and will work on it continuously until it is done or I am satisfied. Next thing I knew it was 6AM! Luckily didn't have to work the next day...
I should say that it took me that long even after having roughly sketched it out on graphing paper a while back.

KEENO

Adventurer
Gravity of the situation...

Hey Brian...

OverKill can be fun!

I'm just getting started here on ExPo and was concerned that my comment might be considered as a downer from an "observer". I appreciate you taking it in good spirit, as intended.:) My only point of reference is that I just dropped an 8' noncab Alaskan (1300 lbs approx) in the back of Dodge/Cummins W250 and was amazed the difference the weight & shift in CG had on the truck's feel & road manners.

I always thought these old Dodges to be some of the most stout trucks ever to roll out of the Big 3! (Note: Both the 3/4 ton & 1 ton share the same rear spring pack... the 1 ton getting duallys as the difference). Regardless, being slightly surprised by the new 'feel' of the truck with Alaskan Camper (verses Wildernest), I now find myself considering air bag suspension & E rated tires, etc. Kind of a "Tail wagging the Dog" example...

All of this Blah, blah, blah to say.... That's a most awesome camper design! Build it! Just keep in mind, that less is often more when it comes to Physics & such... Remember: Gravity isn't just a good idea.... It's the Law!:smiley_drive:

Looking forward to the build!

KEENO

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Thanks Keeno.
If it ever does get built, there would be upgrades to the truck.
I felt the F150 would work well, though I wouldn't consider it as much on an older F150, or a newer Toyota or Chevy 1/2 ton. The 04-08 F150's have a much more stout frame, spring pack, and rear axle. The 9.75 rear axle is rated at 4500 lbs. Granted the truck would probably be at or over gvwr with everything loaded up but most rigs are anyway unless you run a small four wheel camper on a 3/4 ton or better.
The truck would get 4.56 gears, upgraded brakes (already plenty big but would end up with slotted rotors and better pads minimum), airbags, rear sway bar, etc. These things would likely already be done if I didn't spend so much in aftermarket parts on my last rig that I sold after only a year...
My main concern would be the aft center of gravity, but it also shouldn't be that bad, and if I sat down and planned everything out again, I could move some things forward. Having the fridge and batteries forward of the axle would help, but I could also shift the water heater forward and put the water tank forward under the couch. The generator and a/c are things that could easily be thrown out as I don't consider them essential. Plenty of battery power to get by I believe.
Nevertheless, none of it means anything until I have the money to make it happen! lol

Hey Brian...

OverKill can be fun!

I'm just getting started here on ExPo and was concerned that my comment might be considered as a downer from an "observer". I appreciate you taking it in good spirit, as intended.:) My only point of reference is that I just dropped an 8' noncab Alaskan (1300 lbs approx) in the back of Dodge/Cummins W250 and was amazed the difference the weight & shift in CG had on the truck's feel & road manners.

I always thought these old Dodges to be some of the most stout trucks ever to roll out of the Big 3! (Note: Both the 3/4 ton & 1 ton share the same rear spring pack... the 1 ton getting duallys as the difference). Regardless, being slightly surprised by the new 'feel' of the truck with Alaskan Camper (verses Wildernest), I now find myself considering air bag suspension & E rated tires, etc. Kind of a "Tail wagging the Dog" example...

All of this Blah, blah, blah to say.... That's a most awesome camper design! Build it! Just keep in mind, that less is often more when it comes to Physics & such... Remember: Gravity isn't just a good idea.... It's the Law!:smiley_drive:

Looking forward to the build!

KEENO

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior