Skersfan's build for Old Sarge, May 2012...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
The trailer has a 60 watt solar panel, he needs the generator for AC and heat. Has more battery power than any trailer on the market, it will last for over a week I think with out any input. Designed for solar microwave towers. The Honda 2000 will run the AC and the heat, charge the battery and it is very quiet and light weight. I should have sent mine with him, but forgot about it when he left.

Old Sarge

Observer
Hi Sarge
Let me know if yout route takes you thru Edmonton Alberta, I would love to have a look at the unit.
Im thinking its probably time to replace my hillbilly hacienda.
its an old Alasken 10 foot on a 16 foot flat deck ( note the all weather patio and deck chairs!
If my Land Rover will pull that much water-logged plywood , im sure pulling a new unit would be a joy!

I will be in Alberta on August 2 or 3rd, I am attending the Canada FJ Summit. I think it is at Bear Creek, just south of Banff? Sorry just checked and its McLean Creek campgrounds near Bragg Creek.

Last edited:

Old Sarge

Observer
I am new to the camper thing as well, so I'm learning what works, what don't and get a hell of a lot of looks and pointing fingers as I roll into towns! I rolled into West Yellowstone as all the camp sites in the park were full by 5PM and as I'm rolling down a street looking for an RV park, I hear a guy yell out to his buddy "Hey dude look at that little camper!" I guess the biggest thing I need to lean to quit carrying so much crap!

johnyt

Our paths will not cross

I will be in Alberta on August 2 or 3rd, I am attending the Canada FJ Summit. I think it is at Bear Creek, just south of Banff? Sorry just checked and its McLean Creek campgrounds near Bragg Creek.

I hope you enjoy your time in Alberta. From Bragg Creek you could head north to the Alaska Highway via the Forrestry Trunk road / hwy 40 thru Robb, Hinton, Grande Cache, Grand Prairie and then on to Dawson Creek which is mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. That will be the best combination of great scenery and interesting roads, some gravel, most paved. From Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson ( mile 300) it is 2 lane paved highway. you can get off at around wonowon ( a village at mile 101) and go north paralleling the Alaska Highway also around mile 120, 132 etc just depending on your schedule, there are lots of farms and ranches allong these roads, but limited / no services, however some truly pretty scenery.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I will be starting another build sometime this coming week, just waiting on the deposit to hit. This will most likely be a slow build as the person does not want it until November. I will be using some new parts and make some minor changes to the frame for the new water tank. I will try to make more information on the build more available in the next build.

Bob

Old Sarge

Observer
2012 Alaska Saga!

Hey guys, a few updates! I'm sorry I haven't gotten any pics up. This past few weeks have been full of DRAMA for both Bob and myself. After leavin Glacier NP, I was planning a slow and easy day + drive to Spokane, WA to put my step son on his flight back home. About 2 hours after leaving Glacier my wife called and was hystercal, her brother had just died of a heart attack. He had been in good health (atleast everyone thought) up to that point. Needless to say my adventures in Canada, Alaska and the West Coast were ended in that phone call. Its, been 3 straight days of driving anywhere from 12 to 17 hours each day, to the point where my step son and I were having conflicts. The funeral is Monday so sometime that week I will figure out how to post some camping pics! Sometimes you just can't catch a break! Bob and I are working out details on fixing or whatever we are going to do to the fox wing. I did purchase a 200watt /400 max inverter from Wally World for $38 bucks, and that resolved a few comfort issues. In addition to my city owned crack berry no longer decied that it would charge from 12v or USB, but the inverter fixed that. What a F'in week! For you guys in Canada and Alaska that I told you I would let you know when was around................sorry!

I guess the funny part of this trip was that my wife didn't believe me when I started disscussing it with her, the was REALLY PISSED when she figured out that I was serious, my work wasn't sure that they were going to let me off for 9 weeks. I told EVERYONE that come hell or high water, I was going! Well the wife gave in, the credit union gave me the money for the trip and trailer, work gave me the time off! I was almost feeling special! The week before I left, my foster dogs bite me, almost removing the middle finger (yea, go figure) 5 stitches at the ER, then a rush vist to the othropedict surgeon, and surgery the next day (day before the trip). So I have to deal with the health dept on a home quanintine! Can't leave that dog with my wife!So, I guess that is where the HELL comes into play! So, next day.....yeah! trip day! It rains and floods the backside of our sub-division including the stables where our horse is, and water is about 10 feet from the door! Ok, I guess your seeing the high wate:snorkel:r! Screw it I leave anyway........ok she was really pissed and I was a sorry husband and whatever else goes with that for leaving her to deal with evacuating the horse, hoping water doesn't make it in the house, OH, did I tell you that I'm remodeling and my contractor wanted more money and stopped working on the master bedroom, when he agreed to wait on the funds untill after the trip! So my wife was still sleeping in the guest bedroom. So I still went, she calmed down after the first week, Oh yea,10 days later, I get a citation from the county because the vet didn't call them and tell them that the dog doesn't have rabies! ........boy you just can't make this **** up! The ticket....$500 bucks....I know folks....and they know folks......we will see what happens. So, I guess GOD said, you went far enough, go home! Yes Sir!
I will replan this trip for two summers out from now, and I will leave the Summit (FJ Crusier) and go West to the coast and then north! Since I did make it to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier NP's. GOD willing of course, but the rest still fall into the HELL or HIGH WATER coluim ! :):coffeedrink:

brushogger

Explorer
Hey Sarge, Sorry things didn't work out. If you happen to be in Ark, OK, or north Texas with your trailer please PM me. My wife and I would like to look at it as we can see one of these in our future. Safe Travels man.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Brushhogger,

I will have the original prototype tear drop in Colorado towards the end of this month, will also be in Sedona, AZ from the 16th to the 20th if that helps.

Bob

STREGA

Explorer
Hey Sarge, Sorry things didn't work out. If you happen to be in Ark, OK, or north Texas with your trailer please PM me. My wife and I would like to look at it as we can see one of these in our future. Safe Travels man.

The Aspen Trails trailer and an FJ makes a great combination! :wings:

brushogger

Explorer
Brushhogger,

I will have the original prototype tear drop in Colorado towards the end of this month, will also be in Sedona, AZ from the 16th to the 20th if that helps.

Bob

You wouldn't happen to be going to Thrill on the Hill in NM over labor day would you? Lots of cool FJs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior