Sirocco Overland 2013 Expedition: UK - Vladivostok (Siberia) Adventure

Sirocco

Explorer
how did you get the aerial shot of the ships..do you have a uav?

I never thought of it like that.

It was actually from the cliff edge where the former shoreline would have been :)

But I do fancy a UAV with my GoPro for a tour of Australia :) too much money though, shame!

G

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
What an amazing adventure you guys are having! It's been a pleasure following your trip. Gorgeous photos!! Stay safe, Jerry

Sirocco

Explorer
Latest article up on the home page: http://expeditionportal.com/sirocco-overland-the-lost-city-of-kadykchan/

k41.jpeg

Some great photos, enjoy the read

G

Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
We have been quiet for a while, sorry. Keeping our heads down waiting for our permanent residency visas for Australia and import for the truck and trailer. Part of that wait is finally over as we have been given permission to import, even though our residency has yet to be granted. Its a huge relief as we can finally take them off the Carnet. The Carnet has been like a noose around our neck since arriving in Australia as the governing body in the UK (The RAC), in our experience, as not very helpful, drag their heals and charge exorbitant fees.

As a UK registered vehicle you cannot go to Europe (The ADAC in Germany would be preferred) to obtain your Carnet. Forced to pay excessive insurance premiums instead of a bond and then requesting it all over again after 12 months to extend our Carnet.

The permanent import cost around 50% LESS than a 12 month extension and only took 4 weeks from application to paying customs duty. It took the departments in Australia 4 weeks just to get back to me about my extension (which would have to have gone to 3 separate bodies for approval first).

1012068_980234245335679_6002846283524894252_n.jpg

Anyway, with that all out of the way we have about another month before our residency visas arrive then we can get saving for a big lap around Australia. The plan is to get going around the middle of next year hopefully. We may not have the funds by that time, but our visas will allow us to work as we travel indefinitely.

Stay tuned!

G

Sirocco

Explorer
OK, tell me! Is is going to be "epic"? :) Hate that word, really… Tell us more, tell us more!!! :)

Im not sure about epic this time.

Multi-continent/multi-country Vs. Single continent/single country?

I think a trip around Australia will be much easier and more of a holiday/vacation than an overland trip. This might offend a lot of Australians, but hear me out.

1 country, 1 (main) Language makes things a whole load easier.
Great infrastructure meaning getting parts wont be an issue.
No visa restrictions, few seasonal issues meaning we wont have to move on, deal with borders, pay for visas etc.
Great emergency services access/infrastructure where PLBs are active and having a satellite phone is handy.

The above basically means we can now do what we like here and stop and stay where we want for however long we want. It takes a lot of the serious stuff out of an overland trip and just allows you time to stop and enjoy yourself much much more. This may not end up being a 12 month trip, it could go on for much longer. Now we can both work here we may chose to live on the road. We will still be driving a lot of the classic outback routes and heading into remote areas which will be a lot of fun.

I cannot wait! :)

G

Arlo

Adventurer
Hi there down under!
It took you just almost a year to get stamps onto the license plates?

Wrong continent! :Wow1:

Sorry, I would like to wright wrong way your taxes are workin' for! :victory:

What about NZ?

Sirocco

Explorer
Hi there down under!
It took you just almost a year to get stamps onto the license plates?

Wrong continent! :Wow1:

Sorry, I would like to wright wrong way your taxes are workin' for! :victory:

What about NZ?

Hey Kurt, good to hear from you.

You cannot register a vehicle without being a resident. It took the 12 months for the visas to come through, so we had to wait for that.

NZ would be good for a holiday but the $$$ is much better earned here :D

G

Sirocco

Explorer
I suppose now is as good a time as any to let you all know... I have decided the take the leap and start my own business. I have no idea if this is going to work or not with this being such a niche market but I'm going to give it a shot anyway!

take a look at the website and let me know if you have any feedback or ideas, all comments appreciated. For the most part we will be Australia based, but a lot of the paperwork aspects can be done remotely.

www.internationaloverlandconsultants.com

Billhilly

Adventurer
Great idea, web site looks very good, niche yes, but at least you are having a go. No use wondering about it! You certainly both have the credentials! A couple of years ago I took my daughters down South and rented a camper van and did a lap of the West coast/Eastern side of the Southern alps. Came back and suggested we could do a similar thing, but NZ based. Arrange appropriate vehicles, organise 'off the beaten track' tours etc. Seemed like a good idea at the time! We've had a few RTW people come and stay here over the last couple of years. Quiet place to camp, workshop facilities etc. When I met John in January in Wellington he suggested I should set up a website and offer a NZ 'base' for travelers. Maybe I could work as your NZ fixer!
Oh, and I won't lie. I did have to look up Benthic Taxonomist!

Sirocco

Explorer
Great idea, web site looks very good, niche yes, but at least you are having a go. No use wondering about it! You certainly both have the credentials! A couple of years ago I took my daughters down South and rented a camper van and did a lap of the West coast/Eastern side of the Southern alps. Came back and suggested we could do a similar thing, but NZ based. Arrange appropriate vehicles, organise 'off the beaten track' tours etc. Seemed like a good idea at the time! We've had a few RTW people come and stay here over the last couple of years. Quiet place to camp, workshop facilities etc. When I met John in January in Wellington he suggested I should set up a website and offer a NZ 'base' for travelers. Maybe I could work as your NZ fixer!
Oh, and I won't lie. I did have to look up Benthic Taxonomist!

Thanks for the support. Its going to be slow progress I think as there are actually few International travels here in Australia. Most Australians are content with their own continent for exploration (and who can blame them). See how we go with the rentals and take it from there.

G

Sirocco

Explorer
10915064_1123317481027354_217740870641047350_o.jpg

Siberia Part III blog post coming Monday morning (25th May GMT). This is out final blog post form our 2013 trip and wraps up Siberia, the Road of Bones, Magadan and our departure from Vladivostok.

Its a mammoth account of nearly 4000 words and 40 photos. Keep your eye on our page or our facebook page for the update/release.

11046230_1123722137653555_2748882051768605345_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz