Single drawer build & rear organization system

60Dan

Explorer
After much debating back and forth with myself about either building or buying a drawer system, I've decided to give it a go myself and create a custom work area in the back of my truck.

First off many thanks to all the members on expo and mud for posting up their builds, hopefully this will be helpful and provide some inspiration to others!

The Vehicle: 2005 Toyota 100 series Landcruiser

The plan:
* A single drawer made from 3/4" ply, secured using the factory 3rd row seat mounts, utilizing 2 x 36” slides (one being lock in/out style)
* USB and power outlets in the wing, voltmeter to monitor 2nd battery from the back of the truck
* Fridge slide with an aluminum cage
* Tailgate storage provided by Trail-Tailor coated in monstaliner

The drawer:
So why a single drawer?
A couple reasons - on occasion I use a seat in the 3rd row and would like to keep the option of one back there. Second, having a dual drawer system with the fridge on top would mean having to climb up on the tailgate to access the fridge, or buy a drop down fridge slide. Being that the drop down slide is more expensive than the fridge itself, Ive decided to go this route and keep it level with the tailgate.
The drawer will have a side wing which will house all the wires to the fridge, front voltmeter and USB outlets from the 2nd battery. It will also double up as additional storage.

The material:
Why 3/4” plywood? Well partly because thats what others have used, and partly because for some reason around here I only had the option of buying 1/4” or 3/4”! 1/2" wasn't an option. To save weight i'll be "strategically" cutting out dead weight as I go.
Why monstaliner?
This was inspired by the trekboxx systems amongst others. I like the look and the durability. I have a 55lb dog that would otherwise ruin any varnish or paint.

The Fridge slide:
Ive been using one for years that I made from steel to custom fit my Edgestar, however I came across a deal on a SoCal Teardrops slide and drawer combo that will house my partner steel stove. High end aluminum construction, can't say enough good things about it.

The Cage:
Why a cage?
In the past on long road trips, even with the best planning and intentions, the rear cargo area becomes cluttered. Often sleeping bags, pillows, mats, kids toys, basically anything you can think of gets jammed between the fridge and the slide preventing the slide from, well .... sliding! That is until you move things out the way, pull the fridge out, and whatever was balancing next to it, falls over behind the fridge and it wont close! Incredibly frustrating.
Enter ... the cage! Nestled around the fridge and the fridge slide, it will allow all that stuff to stay where it is and the slide to function as designed without all that re-shuffling every time.
In an effort to keep the weight down, Im planning on fabricating this out of 1x1 square tube aluminum.

The POWER!:
I’ll be installing a Slee 2nd battery system soon and group 31 battery.
The plan is to run power to the wing of the box and from there a blue sea fuse panel (or similar) for the fridge, lights, USB sockets. The group 31 will be monitored via an LED voltmeter display. I would like to run air back there but I'm not sure thats in the budge at the moment! Depends if I can find a good deal on a compressor before I'm done!

Tailgate storage:
Ive ordered one of the 1st production run tailgate storage lids by Jason over at Trail-Tailor. Its an all aluminum construction that will allow me to utilize the dead space in the tailgate. This will most likely be used to store things that aren't used that often like recovery gear. This will also be coated in montaliner.

Pics to follow ...

60Dan

Explorer
Decided to use a 36" lock in/out drawer slide on the left and a regular slide on the right. Both rated at 500lbs. The lock out feature is nice on hills with the drawer open, and the lock in feature will act as a latch mechanism to keep it closed

drawer8.jpg

drawer7.jpg

drawer4.jpg

Holes cut for the factory mounting attachment points and I used a router to take out enough material to flush mount the bolts
Also some of the "dead weight" was cut away

drawer3.jpg

bolts.JPG

Front plate added, hole cut for the left slide catch release.
Added a handle for one-handed operation

drawer5.jpg

drawer2.jpg

Added front and side wing plate

drawer1.jpg

Left floor mounting plate cut for the fridge and cage

drawer6.jpg

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Very nice. I like the way you have a build plan and it makes sense. Can't wait to see the rest. I have a 60 series and am still searching
for a logical solution to my rear storage, this looks really like the best design so far. Are you planning solo sleeping on the drawer as well?

60Dan

Explorer
Coming along nicely. I also considered doing a single half-size drawer at one point. The modularity/practicality of it really appeals to me.

You're using Orr and Orr slides, right? Can you tell me how far the blue locking handle sticks out past the vertical edge of the metal slider in the unlocked state? I already have one of their non-locking 48" drawer slides, and will likely pick up another locking one for my future project - would like to keep the extra space needed for the locking mechanism in mind.

Also curious: why did you choose to use pocket screws in this scenario? It looks like all sides are easily accessible and you could use the regular screw method (I suspect it would be stronger, plus you'd have the option of using longer screws).

Sorry for the late reply. Ive used a Kreg tool for pocket screws in a few projects now and they are just as strong as regular screws, but in my opinion makes the project look a little neater. No need for wood filler, recessing, sanding etc the final product. It also has the added bonus of being able to take it all apart later if a piece needs replacing.

Yes good eye, I'm using the Orr & Orr slides. Im impressed with the quality for the price.

Here is a picture of the tab as requested. Looks to be 1-1/4"

IMG_0341.JPG

60Dan

Explorer
Very nice!

Thanks!

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Appreciate it! Figuring it out as I go along!

Very nice. I like the way you have a build plan and it makes sense. Can't wait to see the rest. I have a 60 series and am still searching
for a logical solution to my rear storage, this looks really like the best design so far. Are you planning solo sleeping on the drawer as well?

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that as I utilize a RTT, but you have me thinking ...

60Dan

Explorer
Made a little progress today. I travel for work so working on this is sporadic

Added a hinge and recessed it so I can access the drawer when the tail gate is closed.

drawer10.jpg
drawer11.jpg

Having this opening will also allow me to access the mounting bolts and remove the drawer, or tighten the bolts if necessary.

drawer12.jpg

Added a Southco latch to keep the access panel closed

drawer16.jpg

drawer15.jpg

drawer13.jpg

drawer14.jpg

60Dan

Explorer
Update

Thanks guy, sorry for the lack of updates. Been busy with family and work - convinced that this project needed to be put on hold until the spring, but with this mild weather we've been having I decided to jump back in

Installed the tail gate storage lid the other day.

The first cut is always the hardest!

Scored some Dynamat off eBay to line the cavity with

Done

I need to rust proof the edges where I cut, and will do that when I take it back off to Monstaline it.

Im modifying the back of the drawer to accept an anderson plug connector which will power the fridge. Plan is for the wires for power to run inside the back of the drawer to a sea fuse block. The fridge can then be plugged directly into the drawer and easily unplugged when not in use. Should look clean when finished.

More updates on that and more soon ...

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a good plan and looks well executed so far. What plan to secure / protect the wiring looms inside the tailgate space? Or does the insert have storage boxes too. Or is it just a faceplate with doors? It might be a good idea to put some split loom on the factory wiring and use some sort of peel and stick anchors to secure it, if it has to co-habitate with a bunch of loose recovery gear.

60Dan

Explorer
Sounds like a good plan and looks well executed so far. What plan to secure / protect the wiring looms inside the tailgate space? Or does the insert have storage boxes too. Or is it just a faceplate with doors? It might be a good idea to put some split loom on the factory wiring and use some sort of peel and stick anchors to secure it, if it has to co-habitate with a bunch of loose recovery gear.

Plan for now is to use some of these adhesive wire holders. We'll see how they hold up. Going to pack the gear tight in there so it doesn't move about

IMG_0863.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles