Single Cab vs Double Cab

HowardH

Adventurer
Hello all, I am looking for some opinions. Hopefully based upon real life experience and not guesses. ;)

I am looking at purchasing a truck to base a camper upon. Among the many choices and decisions is the decision of cab size vs camper size.

Obviously the shorter the cab the longer the camper all other things being equal.

Typically there will be three or more people in the vehicle when traveling. I am concerned about the comfort level and safety of the passengers while riding in the camper. Also I am concerned about the isolation of the driver if the passengers are all hanging out in the camper. The other side is about four extra feet of camper space if you go with a regular cab.

I am pretty set on a pop up so regardless of cab style I don't think I will have camper space above the cab.

I am leaning towards the double cab with increased comfort and passenger capacity vs the longer camper. It is one thing that after the fact can only be changed by changing the whole vehicle so I want to make the best choice/compromise for my uses.

Speaking of uses its most common use will be short 2-5 day trips towing the boat and heading out fishing and camping. Travel time will typically be less then six hours one way.

Looking for advice. Thank you.

dddonkey

Adventurer
Get a crew cab all the way, I have had a reg cab, ext-cab, and crew cab. I love all the extra room, and it makes road trips much more pleasant.

haven

Expedition Leader
At this point, Fuso doesn't import their crew cab 4x4 Canter to North America. It's sold in Australia and elsewhere. There has been much speculation about converting a 2WD crew cab, which Fuso does import, to 4x4. But it would be an expensive project. To my knowledge, no one has completed a project like this.

So for the time being in North America, your best bet is to start with an HD crew cab pickup.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
3 or more passenger, the crewcab is the only way to go.
Comfort, safety, view, comradely, ease of ingress/egress.

HowardH

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies.

Prefer the cab over for shorter wheelbase. However my boat and trailer exceeds 8600 labs. The ability to tow and launch is necessary. I'm unaware of a cab over available in 4x4 with that much tow capacity.

I'm considering a supercab F350, already own it or the new 4x4 international Terrastar which I could get in either cab configuration.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies.
Prefer the cab over for shorter wheelbase. However my boat and trailer exceeds 8600 labs. The ability to tow and launch is necessary. I'm unaware of a cab over available in 4x4 with that much tow capacity.
I'm considering a supercab F350, already own it or the new 4x4 international Terrastar which I could get in either cab configuration.

Just out of curiosity - why were you posting in this thread if you weren't considering a Mitsu truck?

HowardH

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity - why were you posting in this thread if you weren't considering a Mitsu truck?

Because this is the only forum here I read and because I trust the knowledge and opinions of many who post here. Also because the question is not truck specific. I would like a cab over. Find me one with 4 wheel drive and sufficient tow capacity. :)

kerry

Expedition Leader
Problem cabover crew cab is that it's much harder to work on the engine unless the cab is modified to tilt. I realllllllly like being able to tip my cab and get intimate with the engine. What is the FG's tow rating? It pulls my 2000lb boat/trailer as if its not even there and I'm close to 12k on the truck itself.

We've driven about 15k miles with 3 in the crewcab--wife and teenage daughter. Not a big issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles