Single burner propane stove that can handle full time on the road!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Sorry if this has been discussed in other threads but I'm looking for the latest and greatest opinion on stoves. We've lived on the road full time for almost 3 years now, and recently switched to a smaller more capable rig which required a smaller more mobile stove. We went with the Coleman Cascade, usually not my first choice but it had good reviews and we needed propane not butane gas. It gave up the ghost this morning after 4 months of use and 3 weeks in baja.

We are generally not rough on our items, since everything we own is in our rig we do our best to take care. With that being said, we need something that is going to last and we don't need to worry about. Something that can cook inside as well as out, not take up a ton of space, could use a griddle would be a plus, and survive the world....we're starting the Pan Am this summer.

So is Cook Partner still the bomb proof brand? Anyone have any other experiences with anything else?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Thank you for the replies. I really like the safari chef but I think it may be too big for our operation.

Those with the Gas One do you know if I can adapt it to work off a larger propane tank?

WOODY2

Adventurer
Thank you for the replies. I really like the safari chef but I think it may be too big for our operation.

Those with the Gas One do you know if I can adapt it to work off a larger propane tank?
Actually it can with an common adapter hose, about $14. Model 3900. I run mine of butane, 1 lb propane and 20# propane bottles.

dstefan

Sorry if this has been discussed in other threads but I'm looking for the latest and greatest opinion on stoves. We've lived on the road full time for almost 3 years now, and recently switched to a smaller more capable rig which required a smaller more mobile stove. We went with the Coleman Cascade, usually not my first choice but it had good reviews and we needed propane not butane gas. It gave up the ghost this morning after 4 months of use and 3 weeks in baja.

We are generally not rough on our items, since everything we own is in our rig we do our best to take care. With that being said, we need something that is going to last and we don't need to worry about. Something that can cook inside as well as out, not take up a ton of space, could use a griddle would be a plus, and survive the world....we're starting the Pan Am this summer.

So is Cook Partner still the bomb proof brand? Anyone have any other experiences with anything else?
just curious, what happened to your Coleman Cascade? Asking, because we just switched from our old Coleman Triton, dual burner to a single burner Cascade. It seems very ruggedly built compared to our old Triton, which still works great after 15 years, including being dropped and repaired (pretty easily), but we haven’t really put it through its paces yet.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
just curious, what happened to your Coleman Cascade? Asking, because we just switched from our old Coleman Triton, dual burner to a single burner Cascade. It seems very ruggedly built compared to our old Triton, which still works great after 15 years, including being dropped and repaired (pretty easily), but we haven’t really put it through its paces yet.

There is a slight design flaw with the way the copper tubing attaches at a 90 degree angle to the flow knob. We were having issues with the flow knob stopping the flow of propane after we shut the stove down...on two occasions the knob backed out of position and propane was flowing out for a while before we noticed. So we started cranking down on the knob to get it to hold in a closed position. This caused the copper tubing to shear. We only found this out after taking it apart to see if we could fix it.

Reactions: WVI

dstefan

There is a slight design flaw with the way the copper tubing attaches at a 90 degree angle to the flow knob. We were having issues with the flow knob stopping the flow of propane after we shut the stove down...on two occasions the knob backed out of position and propane was flowing out for a while before we noticed. So we started cranking down on the knob to get it to hold in a closed position. This caused the copper tubing to shear. We only found this out after taking it apart to see if we could fix it.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ll keep an eye on it.

Have you considered a Coleman Sportster dual fuel (white gas and unleaded) instead of a stove that requires canisters? Not quite as instant as a canister stove, but fuel is available almost anywhere you go.

NVLOC

Observer
Looking for the same. This one also caught my attention, although certainly not inexpensive.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Looking for the same. This one also caught my attention, although certainly not inexpensive.

I was looking at the same one. I haven't looked at it in person though so I'm not sure how heavy duty it is. I almost pulled the trigger one day when it was on sale but I do not want to be the guinea pig on this! The only thing that immediately turned me off is the lack of an igniter. That's not a huge deal but it should be included for the price. Jetboil has one that shows some promise too called the half gen.

NVLOC

Observer
I agree, the Primus looks a bit more Ikea than i'd like - a bit dinky all around.
The classic seems hard to beat for a simple and effective bushproof stove. Simply the price is high given the canadian exchange rate for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles