Single battery setups

uscg2008

Explorer
Is anyone running a single battery ie like a deep cycle marine battery or big amg? Doing this instead of a due battery set up? I would like to see pics of any if anyone has some.

Just curious cause I would like to put a bigger battery in my Tacoma but I don't really have a need for a secondary one. I will prob never run a fridge or anything. Just would be nice to run a couple aux led lights off of the roof rack I'm getting at night.

Thanks appreciate any help.

- coby

codename607

Adventurer
I've been looking into this. So far I've found several people who run the Diehard Platinum Marine Group 31 as the main battery. I'm thinking about do the same.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Here's a link to the exact page:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...dition-Build-2013-Toyota-Tacoma-DC-TRD/page17

I would highly recommend the single battery setup. Here's the deal... You will kill 2 smaller batteries much quicker than 1 large battery. I was originally running an Odyssey 1400 with plans of adding a second matching battery. The issue: my fridge would kill the battery after 12-14hrs. That was not acceptable. Plus, with a dual setup you have the added complication of wiring, relays, switches, regulator, isolator... Not to mention the cost. I've read way too many reports of the systems failing and leaving you stranded. Simplicity is key.

So far my record is running the 63qt ARB fridge for 5 consecutive days without starting the truck; it had no trouble starting after 5 days. The fridge has been running non-stop in the truck since July. I see no advantage of a dual battery setup for my uses. For emergency I carry a HD jump box. I've used it to jump stranded people; much more useful than dual batteries (to me).

uscg2008

Explorer
Thanks man I knew I had scene someone do it before in a second gen I just couldn't remember who. Thanks again I'm prob going to be going with a set up like yours. I too have heard some bad things about duel setups and just really have no need for a duel setup.

Is there anyone else

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I have a single odyssey in my 4runner and if handles winch duties just fine. Have a diehard in my taco and its a trooper as well

lugueto

Adventurer
Montypower, you ran your fridge for five days without having trouble starting?? I would love to get something similar, but im not in the US so the Sears or similar wouldnt be available to me..

What are the specs of such a battery??? I too would like to avoid a dual battery setup..

Thanks,,

Luis

montypower

Adventure Time!
Montypower, you ran your fridge for five days without having trouble starting?? I would love to get something similar, but im not in the US so the Sears or similar wouldnt be available to me..

What are the specs of such a battery??? I too would like to avoid a dual battery setup..

Thanks,,

Luis

The Diehard Group 31M is made by the same company as the Odyssey Group 31M battery. Specs are identical. I'm not aware of any differences between the batteries. If you can't get the DieHard Battery, you may be able to buy the Odyssey version.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.odysseybattery.com/battspecs.html

Battery is: 31M-PC2150

trailnewt

Thanks,,

Luis
Luis,
In Venezuela you are a lot closer to the equator that Monty in Portland OR and your fridge is going to work a lot harder. I have the same battery and a smaller 49 quart Truckfridge. When the outside temperature is above 80 degrees f. and the sun is beating down on the van I am lucky to run the fridge for 24 hours before my battery voltage drops to below 11.8.
Brent

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've been running a Die Hard Group 31M without any issue, it's currently hooked up to an SPOD that runs a Warn M12000, and ARB OBA.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I can snap a few if you like. All I did was trim the battery tray so it would fit and modified the factory tie down. Just get yourself an SPOD and wiring becomes stupid simple.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Here is a group 31 sears that I installed in a customers FJ, engine bay location is identical to Tacoma, 4runner. He wanted to go the single battery and this is probably one of the best options. You are looking for good RC reserve capacity and still have strong CCA. I would agree with Montypower that most of the dual battery systems are insufficient....on another note I love my dual/capable of 3 battery system with interstates.

I used the customer supplied plastic battery tray, but I am going to build an aluminum tray for it soon.

Cam-shaft.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz