Single Battery or Dual? 98 Jeep XJ

vonguido

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

So electrical is not my strong suit, however I have done a lot of reading between a bunch of different forums. When tax returns come in at some point in the month of February I'm going to buy a winch bumper and a winch. Along with that a new battery, looking at the die hard platinum. I have a 98 XJ Limited. Its a daily driver with no real wheeling coming up till spring or the later part of spring into summer, so the winch might get used 3 times in a 6 month span maybe a little more. I plan on upgrading my battery cables and alternator ground, etc to thicker wire.
Would a single battery with those upgrades and a heavier duty alternator work for me or is a dual battery setup the way to go? I have read mixed views on both but since expedition is the route I'm going with the rig I wanted to ask you all here. Thanks in advance

The battery you have chosen is an excellent choice for starters. As it varies from situation and owner's needs/wants. what you will be using your XJ for be just fine on a single battery in good operating conditions. I would recommend a dual battery set-up. This is just me, I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Sent from my lifted UFO!

TACTICALJEEP

Observer
I've run a single battery in my xj for over 10 years now...and with a 1979 warn 12,000 pound winch that sees a lot of duty. We're in a college town with no 4x4 tow trucks, so when someone gets stuck offroad and needs a winch out, I'm the only guy in the county. I average 3-5 heavy recoveries each month, extreme situations (obviously everyone else has tried or they wouldn't be calling me) and one battery does just fine. I can lend the following sugestions...

Don't use an optima...I've had a redtop swell up like a basketball under heavy amps/load, the yellow tops don't like a fast discharge either (like using a winch)

I've had the best luck using an off the shelf battery for a diesel truck like a gm 2500 or ford f250 etc. 800+ CCA's, good warranty, and less than 100.00 bucks.

doing a dual battery setup in an XJ is difficult, if you want to use the space where the air box is, you have to find somewhere else for the engine air intake, wiring, to isolate or not, etc. etc. etc.

concerning reserve capacity...just get a jump pack and throw it in the back

vonguido

Adventurer
I'm sure I will eventually go to a dual battery setup, just trying to figure out if its doable with a larger, better battery for the time being. Eventually I want to run a fridge as well do the dual batteries would be nice for piece of mind.

XJINTX

Explorer
Should not say this because now it will probably happen but... I too use a Sears Platinum and I'm on my second in this jeep... the first was there when I bought it. I run a winch and have a refrigerator when camping. Thus far I have not had an issue and do not see me going to dual setup.
I have duals in my offroad trailer but not even sure I needed them in it.

vonguido

Adventurer
Should not say this because now it will probably happen but... I too use a Sears Platinum and I'm on my second in this jeep... the first was there when I bought it. I run a winch and have a refrigerator when camping. Thus far I have not had an issue and do not see me going to dual setup.
I have duals in my offroad trailer but not even sure I needed them in it.

That's great to hear. I'm not sold yet on dual batteries, hence why I'm asking. I figure w/ upgraded wiring and a heavy duty alternator and larger battery I would be fine.

*****knock on wood for ya***** that it doesn't happen to ya.

RangeBrover

Explorer
You'll be fine for now, I run a group 31M Diehard Marine Platinum and I've got a Warn M12000, ARB OBA, and a CB hooked up to it. If you decide to get a fridge then I would get a dual battery, but until then you'll be able to get by just fine.

1stDeuce

Explorer
For recreational use via light 4-wheeling, you'll be fine. I'm running a TJ with a single optima, which I agree isn't the best battery for several reasons, but I've not had any problems. Generally speaking, you're only winching a little ways, and you're doing it with the engine running either to help provide a little forward clawing as you winch out, or just to keep the battery charged if you're winching someone else.

Dual batteries come into play if you're going to winch at a fairly high line pull for a long time... Not normally something you'll be doing I'm sure. And if you ever need to, a little rest for the winch to cool and the battery to recharge is good for both.

Newer (96+ I think) XJ's have fairly high output alternators (100A+ IIRC) so they really keep up pretty well. (I think my TJ has a 110A or 115A alternator, and it would be the same as an XJ) If your cherokee is a '96+ auto, you can check into adding a switch for "extended idle" and get a raised idle speed too, which puts the alternator within 95% of it's max charging capabilty w/o revving the engine too much. Helps add some additional airflow to cool the alt, belts, etc too.

Unless your current battery cables are really crappy, I wouldn't bother to upgrade them. The winch should be wired directly (ground and positive) to the battery, so the factory wiring doesn't come into play at all.
Chris

vonguido

Adventurer
For recreational use via light 4-wheeling, you'll be fine. I'm running a TJ with a single optima, which I agree isn't the best battery for several reasons, but I've not had any problems. Generally speaking, you're only winching a little ways, and you're doing it with the engine running either to help provide a little forward clawing as you winch out, or just to keep the battery charged if you're winching someone else.

Dual batteries come into play if you're going to winch at a fairly high line pull for a long time... Not normally something you'll be doing I'm sure. And if you ever need to, a little rest for the winch to cool and the battery to recharge is good for both.

Newer (96+ I think) XJ's have fairly high output alternators (100A+ IIRC) so they really keep up pretty well. (I think my TJ has a 110A or 115A alternator, and it would be the same as an XJ) If your cherokee is a '96+ auto, you can check into adding a switch for "extended idle" and get a raised idle speed too, which puts the alternator within 95% of it's max charging capabilty w/o revving the engine too much. Helps add some additional airflow to cool the alt, belts, etc too.

Unless your current battery cables are really crappy, I wouldn't bother to upgrade them. The winch should be wired directly (ground and positive) to the battery, so the factory wiring doesn't come into play at all.
Chris

I have a 98 Auto so I will look into the extended idle switch. A buddy of mine has one so I will talk to him about it. The cables are OK but I would rather update them if I can, since I'd be adding a winch it couldn't hurt since its a 16yr old vehicle. I want to have a very clean electrical connections, I'm looking into a waterproof wiring block so I can minimize the spider web of cables in the engine bay to reduce the risk of a fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier