Simpson Desert.

alanymarce

We have an Iridium, which we've had for 20 years. The Thuraya is good, but they don't have coverage in South America or the southern part of Southern Africa, so not an option for us. Iridium works everywhere.

Bris31

Adventurer
We have an Iridium, which we've had for 20 years. The Thuraya is good, but they don't have coverage in South America or the southern part of Southern Africa, so not an option for us. Iridium works everywhere.

Yes, when it comes to coverage, Thuraya coverage world wide is comparatively less than other players. But their sound quality is very good in Australia and also the overall cost is cheaper than other providers. Sorry bit out of topic, in many countries with oppressive regimes Sat phones are illegal (even in luggage bag) because they can't control this type of communication. And then some countries allow Sat phones but only with advance permission and/or using their sim. So if planning to travel abroad with a Sat phone, need to check their laws. There is lot of info about this on the internet.

alanymarce

...Sorry bit out of topic, in many countries with oppressive regimes Sat phones are illegal (even in luggage bag) because they can't control this type of communication. And then some countries allow Sat phones but only with advance permission and/or using their sim. So if planning to travel abroad with a Sat phone, need to check their laws. There is lot of info about this on the internet.
A good point re legality. We've taken ours to a lot of places with no problems, however for the next "big trip" we'll probably have to leave it at home (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh will be destinations).

PKDreamers

Adventurer
There is a good info for all about sat phones.
As we will only be traveling in Australia i think that Thuraya will be the way to go.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
With Iridium Sat phone you can use a Telstra post paid sim with roaming in it and it works. So no special plan but they do charge sat charges on your calls when you use it.

Works for me,
Dan.

Karl of Oz

Observer
Not sure what your truck is registered as, but if over 4.5 tonne then it comes under National Heavy Vehicle rules. ATW carried out their testing (including brake testing) to get approval to run their wheels etc using the 285 tyres and this is stamped on the compliance plate.
While this may sound picky, if you were to come to grief somehow, one of several things that could happen is that your insurance could be voided (if they find out). Using the excuse to your insurance company or the roadside vehicle inspectors "but someone on the forum said it was ok" wont get you out of it. Of course I wish ATW had done their testing with 305 tyres but these aren't available in Toyos. I think they used Toyos because they are a good tyre (although they are expensive and hard to get at present).
This is the same for all vehicles and everybody who modifies their vehicle with bigger tyres etc just "get away with it", but for heavy vehicles there is a greater risk of getting caught out.

Now that I've said that, do the Michelins have a good off road tread pattern?

Same as Julian's Canter in the vid. (on ATW 8 1/4"rims). At 4.5T you will be fine, but I suggest that next time you buy tyres, go up one size to 305s, and I prefer the Michelins. More flexible side walls and they stay cooler at low pressures.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
305s are on my compliance plate. Our GVM is 6.6T.
Any engineer would approve a change from 285s to 305s but I suggest that as it is only one size larger it is probably not needed.
The tread pattern is not so aggressive (which I prefer). There are several other 305 brands available apart from the Michelins.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
HEMA HN7 GPS and HEMA maps both electronic and paper. When you buy your Simpson permit you will get a set of Westprint paper maps for the Simpson which are fine too.
I also use OziExplorer on the lap top for planning and I save the GPS tracks from the HN7. I also have other electronic maps which can be viewed on OziExplorer and on the HN7.
This is a bit of the HEMA 1:1,000,000 Simpson. The red lines are GPS tracks. There is also a more detailed HEMA map. Every dune is marked.
HEMA.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Thank you.
We are looking at a table for navigation as well for our sons school work.
We have a few Hema paper maps as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94