Simple rims for modern full size trucks?

Dougnuts

Truck is mainly used for trips and heavy towing so it sits alot. After sitting, has a little vibration but this resolves after a couple of miles. This is reported as normal with beads.

My truck stays parked a lot and the KO2s will also flat spot from sitting. It resolves itself quick though.

ngs352

A year ago I wouldn’t have even considered Raceline, most of their wheels were outdated. It seems like they have caught up and passed Method. I realize this is on a 1500, but the proper offset and interior diameter meant I could clear the new, larger brake rotor with the Raceline wheels, which was not possible with the Methods. These are the 18” Gauge wheels with -12 offset. 8E01EED7-EBC7-4D30-9859-5402CAC28C79.jpeg

andy_b

...Method 701 Trail Series, 18" - these are forged AL, have a 4500 lb rating - the highest I've found. Price is $100 up from last year. They have the proper back spacing if you want to go all the way up to 37". These also have the extra bead retention ribs, so you can safely air down and not worry about popping the tire off...

I have the 701HDs and love them. It is important to note that most of Method's wheels are not forged, they're cast like almost every other wheels out there. For most practical purposes, the difference is academic. Also, the standard 701s have a max weight rating (based on size) of 3640lbs per wheel while the 4500lb weight rating is found only in the HDs.

nickw

Adventurer
Aev are +27mm stock power wagon wheels are +44 or so
I think my OEM ones are +45.....with the AEV ones at +27 with a tire that is 10mm wider, sounds like my tire will be about an inch further out (45 - 27 = 18, 10 / 2 = 5.....18 + 5 = 23). I'll have to eyeball the tire to see if that's going to work without flares.

jadmt

ignore button user
Steel bends and doesn't crack like alloys but they are heavier by far. I had the forged alloy rims on my '07 2500 Ram. I sold them and have method 315's now Ram specific. They look nice but I never should have sold the Mopar ones. They were so well made with a tough clearcoat. The coating on these Methods is pretty fragile.
I always enjoy this photo..
EA2A40B9-1001-4DAE-A2FD-0C58A0E175B8.jpeg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I always enjoy this photo..
View attachment 717566
Love it. nothing that 20 hours of hammering can't fix. Thanks.
I have the 701HDs and love them. It is important to note that most of Method's wheels are not forged, they're cast like almost every other wheels out there. For most practical purposes, the difference is academic. Also, the standard 701s have a max weight rating (based on size) of 3640lbs per wheel while the 4500lb weight rating is found only in the HDs.
Those HD's are super expensive now like everything coming out of WuHan.

nickw

Adventurer
701 Method
I like the Methods, they are a close offset to the AEV's but have 9mm less offset, in conjuction with the 9" wide rims vs 8.5" aev's it bumps the tire out another 15mm....not much, but still worried it's going to look funky....

For my Avalanche 2500

ITTOG

Anyone ever hear of chrome going bad on rims and the seal along the bead can't be maintained? I had aftermarket chrome rims on my 07 Tundra, which my son now owns. After fifteen years of service we cannot get a seal on two of the rims and we had to get new ones. This was a new one for me, never heard of it.

jadmt

ignore button user
Anyone ever hear of chrome going bad on rims and the seal along the bead can't be maintained? I had aftermarket chrome rims on my 07 Tundra, which my son now owns. After fifteen years of service we cannot get a seal on two of the rims and we had to get new ones. This was a new one for me, never heard of it.
sure with all the de-icer crap they put on the roads corrosion causes issue on chrome and aluminum wheels.

That happened to a set of chrome wheels I had on my last truck, but the leak was at the valve stem, not the bead. My wife drives a Honda that loses air over time. I have heard that their aluminum wheels are bad about corroding at the bead seat, but I've never seen one of them without tires on it.

ITTOG

sure with all the de-icer crap they put on the roads corrosion causes issue on chrome and aluminum wheels.
I am in the houston area so none of that was an issue for these wheels. It was strictly age.

That happened to a set of chrome wheels I had on my last truck, but the leak was at the valve stem, not the bead. My wife drives a Honda that loses air over time. I have heard that their aluminum wheels are bad about corroding at the bead seat, but I've never seen one of them without tires on it.
This was around the bead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94