Simple power upgrades for a Nissan?

Gearspoke

Adventurer
So I just picked up an 07 Xterra. I'm looking to up the power by at least 100hp, but I'm looking for simple upgrades that can help me get closer to the target range of 360-400hp. I'm leery about a turbo or supercharger due to the high cost and tuning they demand. So I'm looking for several options that will help me out. I have an idea of which direction I want to go, but would like to see what you all think.

Where would you guys recommend I start?

702krawler

Adventurer
I'd be interested to hear your ideas on achieving a ~35% HP gain without forced induction (or NOS). What are you trying to accomplish? I have a 2011 Xterra, and while more power is always nice, it has never been very high on my list, especially for expedition travel purposes. I've always found my money better spent on tires, suspension, armor, etc. Plus the inevitable fuel economy trade-offs are a negative for expedition travel purposes, especially considering the relatively small tank on the Xterra.

If you really have a need for that much power, considering you bought the Xterra used, you might be better served selling it and getting something different, spending far less time and money in the process.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'd be interested to hear your ideas on achieving a 33% HP gain without forced induction (or NOS). What are you trying to accomplish? I have a 2011 Xterra, and while more power is always nice, it has never been very high on my list, especially for expedition travel purposes. I've always found my money better spent on tires, suspension, armor, etc. Plus the inevitable fuel economy trade-offs are a negative for expedition travel purposes, especially considering the relatively small tank on the Xterra.

This.

I'd also like to mention that I've never, ever felt like my 4.0 V6 didn't have enough power. It's got plenty to go around, and an awful lot of grunt.

Now, all that being said, I've heard of a lot of people getting great results with a tuner. Doesn't add as much as you're looking for, but it sure makes a difference. If you're serious about upping the power, make sure the engine is running the way it should. Run some Seafoam in the oil and through the fuel. Once you know it's clean, add a tuner, a set of headers, and a nice free flowing exhaust. Toss in a set of really nice plugs, and set the tuner for high HP mode. Finish it off with a more free flowing air filter and call it a day. I'd be willing to bet that setup alone would make it a whole new vehicle. I imagine that would be in the 35-50hp gain department. With a vehicle of that weight and size, that much change in hp makes an enormous difference.

If you're really super serious about it, I know of a couple people have put an aftermarket supertcharger on their trucks with good results. But then you said you wanted to avoid forced induction.

Last edited:

theBostonianX

Adventurer
So I just picked up an 07 Xterra. I'm looking to up the power by at least 100hp....

Where would you guys recommend I start?

Hate to say it but if you want more power you gotta go back to the car lot.

There is no plug and play device that will get you that type of HP, unless you supercharge/turbo/engine swap.

If you want a little more pep in the throttle, research some upgrades to your exhaust and in take.

bushnut

Adventurer
horse power and cost are directly related, mostly the truck goes faster because your wallet is lighter.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for power mods, you may want to look at thenewx or other 2nd gen forums. That said, a free flowing exhaust, intake, and tuner (if available) can all both add hp and increase mpg. I'd suggest after those simple and fairly proven mods, trying to save some weight- change wheels/tires to a lighter set, take off unneeded accessories, and this will improve acceleration, mpg, braking, and handling if substantial enough. Plus you can always swap in a lower gear ratio, helping acceleration, but reducing economy. That's my 2 cents, the Xterras I've driven weren't wanting for power, so I'm not sure why you'd need much more, but those mods should help. Let us know what you find.

Gearspoke

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like Forced induction is the way to go then... I'll check out some of the sources you've mentioned and see if there is anything else I can do. I like the idea of the tuner and based off of your replies, I'm going to think about sticking with a small upgrade. Thanks

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I have a Pathfinder V8 (R51) which has led me to connect with other V8 owners. One of those owners previously had a V6 Pathfinder to which they'd added a turbo. He indicated that the overall performance was comparable to the V8, but the noise and vibration were higher and the power less linear. Reliability was NOT an issue for him.

Given that the V6 is the only engine the Xterra came with, a turbo seems the logical direction.

ramiromunoz

Since you are looking to race your truck, and not take it for what it was intended, you can get approx. 50 horses by doing the following (prices are approx. and do not include labor)

Change CAI and use of performance air filter -$350
Adding snorkel for cooler air - $425
Adding a Throttle Body Spacer - $100
Adding Intake Manifold Spacer - $215
Changing Spark Plugs - $75
Installing oil catch can (oil - air separator) - $150
Installing long tube headers - Doug Thorley - $560
Installing B-Pipes - $185
Changing muffler 2 in 1 out (getting rid of y-pipe) - $125
Installing UpRev Tuner - 700
Under-drive Pulley - $???
Add a secondary transmission cooler - $100
Stiffening and lowering suspension to eliminate nose diving and butt drop and ensuring the lowest air friction - $???
Remove roof rack to further eliminate air friction - $0
Remove as much weight as possible from the truck

Im sure that you can get more HP with camshaft work, pistons, etc. but that is something Im not familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo4130

Adventurer
Check over on clubfrontier.org and a guy named brutal did a turbo fronty and got those kind of numbers. I still don't know if you're trolling or not......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior