Simple camper for Tacoma?

westernhunter

I like the idea of fwc shell with furnace but want something that is same width of truck. I know the earth cruiser gzl is ideal but way too much money. I see many options that are around 10k but it just seems they are a shell that pops up with no features for comfort,( likeflippac, gfc, etc) I just don't understand where the value is at that price for basically a shell. Is fwc my only option or am I missing something? I want afinished interior but very basic. Any other options out there I'm missing?

crazysccrmd

Observer
You could get a Vagabond Outdoors Drifter or a Go Fast Camper and put together an interior buildout for less than the FWC shell.

westernhunter

You could get a Vagabond Outdoors Drifter or a Go Fast Camper and put together an interior buildout for less than the FWC shell.

Yes, but can you still have a real furnace and not a buddy heater? The tacoma beds also bring in a lot of dirt. I've tried sealing it and it is never 100% sealed.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Yes, but can you still have a real furnace and not a buddy heater? The tacoma beds also bring in a lot of dirt. I've tried sealing it and it is never 100% sealed.

You won’t be able to 100% seal it because of the tailgate but it can be gotten pretty close. I bring way more water and grime into the truck bed on my boots than gets in from anywhere else. You can install a Propex style furnace with both of those campers.

This thread has a lot of ideas in it. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vagabond-drifter-camper-buildout-and-mods.540940/

Talk to All Terrain Campers. http://www.allterraincampers.com/ They will build what you want in high quality- very similar to FWC. You can check ours out on our blog- simple shell with furnace. Sized to fit the Tacoma.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-new-camper.html
Note- it's not new anymore, had it 6 years and still happy.

Another shout out for ATC. They are easy to work with, build high quality light weight campers, are very open to customization, and they stand behind their work. They are also affordable.

GoKiteSurf

I like the idea of fwc shell with furnace but want something that is same width of truck. I know the earth cruiser gzl is ideal but way too much money. I see many options that are around 10k but it just seems they are a shell that pops up with no features for comfort,( likeflippac, gfc, etc) I just don't understand where the value is at that price for basically a shell. Is fwc my only option or am I missing something? I want afinished interior but very basic. Any other options out there I'm missing?

Another option is Bahn campers and perhaps they can build you something custom: https://www.bahncamperworks.com/products/all

I agree with you 100% on value and size/width with whats out there, I decided to build mine. If you have the means and resources to do so (friends or local outfits to out source) I highly recommend designing and building your own if you want your $ to go the distance. If you seek function primarily over looks building an over cab high top camper style shell isnt too difficult and integrate the features your need. The shell route allows you to build out different drawer systems to be versatile or figure out exact layout with time and use. With the right seals you can get it close to air tight.

Check out famarocamper on instagram for build inspiration. DIY version of the earth cruiser and sorta next level with electrical capability

westernhunter

Another option is Bahn campers and perhaps they can build you something custom: https://www.bahncamperworks.com/products/all

I agree with you 100% on value and size/width with whats out there, I decided to build mine. If you have the means and resources to do so (friends or local outfits to out source) I highly recommend designing and building your own if you want your $ to go the distance. If you seek function primarily over looks building an over cab high top camper style shell isnt too difficult and integrate the features your need. The shell route allows you to build out different drawer systems to be versatile or figure out exact layout with time and use. With the right seals you can get it close to air tight.

Check out famarocamper on instagram for build inspiration. DIY version of the earth cruiser and sorta next level with electrical capability
Yes, it seems one would have to build out there own to really get what you want. I have a feeling that a camper will come along soon where they are providing what many want. I just think these companies are missing a large market. Not many people see a 20k+ camper on a truck to be very affordable. Fwc wants $2k to add a couch, that is ridiculous.

knoxswift

To be flush (same width), with the truck, look for a Used FWC Eagle. FWC doesn't make the eagle anymore but probably could find a used one in the price range you are looking for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles